Best way of recording/rendering from Buzz to e.g. Reaper?

bozz

Best way of recording/rendering from Buzz to e.g. Reaper?

Post by bozz »

What is the best known way of recording (real-time) or rendering from Buzz to Reaper? From my little reading in this forum so far, it seems ASIO out seems to be one way, for each output one ASIO out, then enabling those channels in Reaper, then recording there in parallel. But would this be the best way? Which other alternative or better known methods are available? Thanks in advance.

It is not a must for real-time, but real-time use case would be even more fun, just play around in Buzz, and at the same time, do your parallel mixing adjustments in Reaper, even you could do similar stuff in Buzz, let us assume here, we want to do certain things in Reaper (or another DAW). How many channels are possible at maximum via ASIO? 16 stereo channels? Or even more? For me, 16 stereo channels would be sufficient for now.

Is anyone here using a similar method? Any experiences, suggestions, tips are welcome.
ags

Re: Best way of recording/rendering from Buzz to e.g. Reaper

Post by ags »

ASIO is the best way to do this you are correct. Using something like Virtual Audio Cable and ASIO4all.
(You can add more channels by adding more virtual devices.)

There is also an unsupported and old version of Buzé that can operate as a VSTi within Reaper, but in that case I think you only get one stereo out.

(Unless you are controlling Buzz live or with sequences in Reaper, I don't see the need to do this in realtime instead of just bouncing down tracks from Buzz & loading them in Reaper though. - although I have tried this setup before.)
bozz

Post by bozz »

ags wrote:(Unless you are controlling Buzz live or with sequences in Reaper, I don't see the need to do this in realtime instead of just bouncing down tracks from Buzz & loading them in Reaper though. - although I have tried this setup before.)
Thanks for all your replies ags.

Yes it is meant more for live use, otherwise you would need to fully arrange it in buzz. Plus, buzz and buze might not load or sound same in future. During my small tests I had already such cases, where after loading a song the preset sounds I created did not sound at all! Not sure why, maybe any problematic machines? But direct recording to Reaper would prevent such potential problems. Whatever you recorded to Reaper is saved for future listening, in exact same form.

Yes, for full arranged stuff in buzz I would do the normal bouncing method using available options.

Buze vst I did not try, single stereo out is bad, then multi-routing to Reaper would be much more interesting.
IXix

Post by IXix »

I was curious to see if the method I suggested would work so I gave it a try. It was very easy...

1. Set your Buzz audio driver to Polac ASIO and configure it to use ReaRoute (in the Reaper installer if you don't have it)

2. Add instances of Polac ASIO Out and route something to them. Select which ReaRoute channels to use by clicking the ASIO machine input selector. ReaRoute 1+2 will carry the master output so for routing individual machines you'll need to use ReaRoute 3 and upwards.

3. In Reaper set up your tracks to record from the appropriate ReaRoute channels. If you've done it right you should see the track meters respond to Buzz output.

I didn't try recording so there may still be issues but I don't need this so I'm not experimenting further. I have no idea if any of this will work on linux.

I've attached a simple template for the Buzz side setup. I don't know how well it will transfer to other systems but you should get the idea.
Attachments
ReaRoute ASIO test.zip
(3.12 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

A tiny videoclip would be awesome.
IXix

Post by IXix »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:A tiny videoclip would be awesome.
Sorry, can't help you there. It really is pretty easy though. :)
bozz

Post by bozz »

If ReaRoute and ASIO via wineasio would already work, it would be probably easy. :) Have to fight with those problems first.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

I think it would also be possible to send audio thru the mixer software of your sound card Multi I/O . To channels in reaper with polacs asio out I have a focusrite and it can do that. It would be just a matter of syncing the 2 together Play stop record.Then save everything as templates in each respective software
thepr0f

Post by thepr0f »

ags wrote:There is also an unsupported and old version of Buzé that can operate as a VSTi within Reaper, but in that case I think you only get one stereo out.
!!!

Any more info on this, e.g. links? This has been my white whale for some time - getting a tracker I like working as a vsti in Reaper has turned out to be harder than I would have thought.

<edit>

Ok, I answered my own question:
http://batman.no/buze/beta/

Though according to the readme it's very beta and, yeah, only stereo out. I'll keep dreaming.
bozz

Post by bozz »

bozz wrote:If ReaRoute and ASIO via wineasio would already work, it would be probably easy. :) Have to fight with those problems first.
ubuntu 14.04 LTS, wineasio, jack, cadence, catia, buzz 1.2 (not the latest buzz 1.5x) are working fine. However any of the available ASIO out machines I could not get working yet. Either it crashes buzz 1.2 or its output lists shows only <none>.
I have no idea if any of this will work on linux.
Well, this is the most important part of the story. No Windows here.

If buzz 1.2 will not find an ASIO out solution, next option might be trying buze 0.5.8 instead, rest same as above. ReaRoute should not be installed, I read somewhere, so I deinstalled it, only wineasio.