Everything into Master, or mixer machine?

invisible_sweater

Everything into Master, or mixer machine?

Post by invisible_sweater »

If this is a stupid question, please forgive my ignorance.

When mixing and exporting, I usually run everything into the Master machine, or the JedShiva Meter then the Master. Lately I've been considering changing over to some sort of mixer, whether it's native Buzz or VST doesn't matter, but my question is, would it really make any significant difference in sound or quality? And if so, which one should I be using??

Thanks.
mik82

Re: Everything into Master, or mixer machine?

Post by mik82 »

I tend to start off with everything going to Master if playing around. Once it gets a bit further I use mixIO.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Yeah, Mixio is an excellent Mixing tool with a very nice gui.
It doesnt affect sound if you dont tweak it :)
If you dont have it it's here :
http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=8171
Attachments
mixio.jpg
mixio.jpg (268.17 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

would it really make any significant difference in sound or quality?
Yep! If u use the very cpu and resource-friendly ld-mixer. LD-Mixer is like a classic mixing console. You can ad tracks, pan the instruments, eq the low-mid-high freqs, so you can finally dig deep into the mix ...
You can also do all this things without the mixer too, but it isn't that comfortable - imo ;)
invisible_sweater

Thanks for the input guys. I suppose I should re-phrase my question slightly though... Assuming that I already have all the panning, eq, levels, etc. taken care of by other machines, is there much of a difference in the way the Master machine sums all of the audio signals, compared to a mixer?
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

is there much of a difference in the way the Master machine sums all of the audio signals, compared to a mixer?
No ... :mrgreen: ... ;)
invisible_sweater

Awesome! Makes my life much easier. Perhaps in future projects I'll get some mixers involved. Thanks, rock on dudes.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

My routing is everything goes into mixio, then I split to channels out for the sgorpi multitrack writer, and then put it through the mastering chain. Sometimes I use 2-3 mixio's per song.
rajmond

Post by rajmond »

actually i usually just rout everything into a do-nothing. I do all my channel-modifing and such with different VST EQ:s and compressors...

maybe it is not as nice graphically but when the jeskola mixer stopped working in nu-buzz i just figured i didn't like any other of the mixers as much...
hifienvelope

Post by hifienvelope »

With mixio can you rout channels separately into another DAW? I use Reaper to track live instruments, so if i wanted to separate individual buzz machines onto their own tracks in Reaper would mixio or something similar allow me to do that? I've used Buzz off and on since 2001 and have a fair understanding of it, but since starting to use it again this past summer I would like to delve deeper and integrate it more completely with Reaper and begin using midi out to control my modular. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

hifienvelope wrote:With mixio can you rout channels separately into another DAW? I use Reaper to track live instruments, so if i wanted to separate individual buzz machines onto their own tracks in Reaper would mixio or something similar allow me to do that? I've used Buzz off and on since 2001 and have a fair understanding of it, but since starting to use it again this past summer I would like to delve deeper and integrate it more completely with Reaper and begin using midi out to control my modular. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
For offline mastering in Reaper: you can route each channel into mixIO, do your EQing etc., then output each channel into a separate sgorpi MultiTrack Writer, so that you render your mix to multiple WAVs. You can then import these into Repaer and master. Like this:

(The JedShiva isn't necessary; I just like it :))

As an aside: the only limitation I find with mixIO is that you can't use wireless mode once you've started setting multi-in/out channels. I like wireless for when I have lots of channels - it tidies the view up a fair bit. In that case I'd omit the mixIO and make the JedShiva wireless:

If you want to output to Reaper in realtime, this is worth looking at (disclaimer: I haven't read it properly :lol:):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2255

Good luck :)
hifienvelope

Post by hifienvelope »

Thanks very much, Etruscan!
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

MixIO is fantastic, changed my life.

Another good one is IX split if you want a channel strip with a true phase reverse.
IXix

Post by IXix »

onecircles wrote:Another good one is IX split if you want a channel strip with a true phase reverse.
Strip, not Split! Easy mistake to make. :)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Doh!