Presets not recognized

thomas_n_

Presets not recognized

Post by thomas_n_ »

Hello!

I'm seeing a strange problem when choosing a preset of a Buzz effect: the settings of the preset I have chosen are not used.

This is what I do:
I have a generator (in my case, usually a VSTi), following an effect chain to the master. I open an effect of that chain, then I open the scroll-down menu in order to choose one of the presets listed there. After choosing a preset, I expect the settings of that preset to be accepted by the effect (i.e., I expect the sliders to be set on their respective positions).
However, nothing happens - after choosing a preset, the sliders and values have not moved and remain on their starting positions.

I'm rather sure that they did work some days ago.

Does anyone know what I can do about that? Any answers and any help is appreciated.

Some more information:
- VST-effects seem to work. The presets of the VST-effects I have are used when I choose on the presets.
- When opening a preset list in a Buzz effect, I do see the names of the presets (if there are any). I am even able to choose one, but the sliders just don't do anything then.
- As far as I know, I have not deleted any *.prs-files. One of the Buzz effects I often use is Sonic Verb, and Sonic Verb's preset-file is still placed in the Effects directory (however, choosing one its preset doesn't do anything).
- This is in Jeskola Buzz build 1413 under Windows XP SP3 English.

The strange thing is that I have found one Buzz effect that does work (i.e., the sliders do change their positions after I chose a preset); whereas a lot of the other Buzz effects I have do not respond, as mentioned above.
The difference is that I added another preset to the one Buzz effect in question myself, and when choosing that preset ("my" preset), the sliders do respond. Unlike that, I haven't added any presets to the Buzz effects that don't respond.
magmavander

Re: Presets not recognized

Post by magmavander »

I have the same problem with a particular effect at the moment, it's Oomek Masterizer.
Nothing happens when I choose a preset in the list. No sound change, no sliders moving. It stays on the default preset.
Seems that other's fx presets are working (but I have just tested a few).
I didnt add or change recently the presets for this plugin.
It's a bit a problem because I have used this plugin in almost all my songs and now all the songs use the default preset, all my previous tweaks are lost.
I am using windows vista.
Anyone have an idea ?
thanks.
double07

Post by double07 »

Have noticed the same problem with Sverb.
thomas_n_

Post by thomas_n_ »

Hello!

I did some further testing, and it seems that I can now narrow down the problem.

As far as I can see, it is not true that much Buzz effects are concerned. I have found just one Buzz effect I can reproduce the problem at will with: it is Sonic Verb.
(However, I haven't tested Oomek Masterizer magmavander mentioned, neither did I test _all_ of my Buzz effects..)

[ I'm sorry that my previous posting suspected more or less all Buzz effects. For me, sonic Verb is THE Buzz reverb effect; I use it in almost all songs I write in Jeskola Buzz. This is why I noticed that problem although a lot of other Buzz effects are not concerned. ]

As mentioned, I did some further testing. This is what I found in detail:

- As described earlier, the problem is that Sonic Verb's sliders and settings remain unchanged when I choose any of the presets.
That problem happens in Jeskola Buzz builds 1413 and 1414, it did not occur in builds 1411 or 1412. (When testing that, I simply installed the respective build; while testing that, I did not change anything in Sonic Verb.)

- There is a somewhat surprising condition under which Sonic Verb does respond to a preset: after manually moving around some sliders in Sonic Verb, those very sliders do move when I choose a preset in Sonic Verb.
Let's say I open Sonic Verb and choose one of its presets (without moving any sliders manually) -> nothing will happen. Now imagine I manually move around some sliders in Sonic Verb, and then I choose a preset -> the sliders I manually moved before will switch to the value the preset defines, but the sliders I did not move before manually will not switch to the value the preset defines. (I hope my description is not too complicated to understand.)

- I tried to generate a new preset in *.xml-format. (The preset-file I have used by now is a *.prs-file.) An *.xml-file was created, but I could not make Sonic Verb respond to the new preset-file, either (at least, it didn't in build 1414).

Do you have any idea what I could do to make Sonic Verb's presets work in build 1414?
I often use Sonic Verb, and I also use its presets a lot, so any help wold be really appreciated.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Bug confirmed on win7 32bit 1414.
Try using templates for the moment, drag your old sonic verb setups into the template list on the right pane to get going.
Last edited by mantratronic on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed for me in 1415 :D
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Still the same problem in 1415 :(
thomas_n_

Post by thomas_n_ »

Hello!

Build 1415 has fixed that issue for me.

@magmavander: I'm somewhat surprised to read that 1415 couldn't fix it for you. All I can do is to suggest some ideas, but I don't know whether they are of any help to you... :-(
-- Have you installed the correct version of build 1415? -> 32 or 64 bit? (I know that this really sounds like a dumb question, but you never know...)
-- What version of "Oomek Masterizer" do you use? Myself, I don't use it often so I can't tell you much about it...all I can say is that I briafly tested "Oomek Masterizer" in build 1415, and I couldn't find any oddities.
-- Perhaps, you can upload both your version of the masterizer and the preset file you use, so we can test your version and find out whether there is any significant difference.
-- I'm not sure whether the following idea is of any help, but... I installed builds 1411, 1412, 1413, 1414 and 1415 (32 bit) one after the after; I didn't leave out any build in-between. Perhaps, you can try and do so as well.
-- I use Windows XP SP3 English 32 bit. You said you had Vista - 32 or 64 bit?

I'm sorry that I cannot gve you any better advice, it seems all we can do is search and find the problem in question.