Shifting stereo field with asio4all

Klangkulisse

Shifting stereo field with asio4all

Post by Klangkulisse »

I am encountering a new unwanted phenomenon.
After a while, about a minute or so, of listening in buzz, the stereo image moves slowly to the left, I would say about 25 %.
First I thought it was my right ear getting tired and for a first control i put my ear phones the other way round changing left to right. The same, only now obviously in the opposite direction.

When I choose "silent" from the audio driver drop down menu and immediately switch back to "Polac ASIO" I can hear it very clearly jumping back to correct balanced stereo image. By changing any parameter on the opened asio controll panel (e. g. latency) the stereo image centers also, and then starts drifting again. This occurs also with chosen audio driver ASIO (without Polac).

It doesn't shift by using MME, Polac MME or windows waveform audio, so i think it has something to do with the asio4all audio driver. I searched the asio4all forum, but no entry to this issue (Buzz is pretty unknown here, shame on them)

I tried other tracks, i deleted everything between master and used only 1 generator (e. g. bigyo earth plate), still the same.
When I record it with the build in hard disk recorder and listen to the wav-file with a player, the stereo image is fine, no drifting out of center.

This is on a XP SP3, latetest Buzz build 1472, latest everything

I tested it on a Vista system, latest Buzz, latest anything and - tada! - it works fine. No drifting stereo with asio4all.

Has anybody encountered the same? Does anybody have an explanation? Or even a solution? (besides changing to Vista :D)

Confused Klangkulisse :|