Highest Quality Buzz FX

sparschaeler

Highest Quality Buzz FX

Post by sparschaeler »

Hi all

I realized there are tremendous differences between the quality of sound coming from filters. Tethys is my clear favourite - it produces such a smooth sound.

I was wondering if anybody else figured out such differences, e.g. for compression, flanger, phaser, reverb, etc...

Thanks for your inputs
UNZ

Re: Highest Quality Buzz FX

Post by UNZ »

of course... a lot of buzz machines are really "crap" quality wise, for example resampling in mtrk / utrk, aliasing everywhere. Doesn't mean they are useless or don't make nice sounds, just that they produce artefacts that may not be wanted. They where written at times where CPU cycles where precious, so some machines just took shortcuts and called it "good enough". Some artefacts you can reduce by just running at a higher rate or turning on oversampling btw. At the end of the day what matters is if its sounds like you want it to, if not use something else... For example FunkyVerb sounds really weird and artificial mostly, but sometimes it just does the job (damping the heck out of it works nice too). Tethys is one of my favourites too :)
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

agree. damped funkyverb is really nice =) I also like to set diffusion to 0 and automate room size

what do you use compression-wise? e.g. I like to compress every single instrument going into mixio to get a more steady overall volume without squashing it all through the master... I often use joachim's comp (zephod remix), but is that really the best choice?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i usually don't compress tracks, but if needed i also use joachip's various compressors (buzz and vst). check out his battlecomp series. sometimes jeskola limiter if its what does the job.
tinga

Post by tinga »

I'm agree, Tethys is HQ filter, and i find jeskola limiter really impressive.

Fuzzpilz fx are great tools, Slocoder is for me the best vocoder in Buzz.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

Plus 100 on jeskola limiter. Curious what people's favorite reverbs, native buzz compressers and delays are... I don't really like most of the native comp. but love ninja delay and usually end up using raverb...
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Rymix Flaserbox keeps me coming back, time and time again. It's just plain fun.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Filter
I usually just used Jeskola Filter 2 (sounds decent only when you automate it slowly), but I have not used it since the Jeskola Filter 3 came out.

Reverb
HD Halyverb is pretty impressive, but requires a lot of parameter tweaking. I usually like the crisp sound of the Sonic Verb. Funkyverb is also good. I tend to use a variety of reverbs because they all have a different color to them.

Distortion
Mars Filter 2 sounds really amazing. But I use a variety of distortion plugins. I also like the Geonik (sp?) Saturator and the PSI Kraft 2.

Compression
Automaton Compressor mkII is easy to work with (and you can do sidechaining with it). I haven't noticed any artifacts yet, but I have not had it crash on me.

VSTs
If you are looking for high quality VSTs, you should check out
Fuzzpilz Oatmeal
Iblit and Poly Iblit (they have high quality oscillators that have very low aliasing)
(these are both synths made by Buzz developers, and that is why I am plugging them)

EQ
I really like the results I get from the Automaton EQ-7, and the Firesledge ParamEQ

Been using Buzz for like 11 years now, so I should probably stop naming off my favorite plugins or this post is going to get out of hand.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

- Halyverb is the reverb I always use. It may seems complex because of a lot of features but you can still do what you want with it. I use it a lot also to create very good delays.

- HD Combo delay for a mastered delay, ld zdelay and fuzzpilz unwieldy delay3 for crazyness.

- Oomek exciter and Joachim's temperature are are excellent filters to warming/crisping/clearing/breathing your whole sound or just a single sound.

- Oomek masterizer, Joachims Jupiter II and Multi II will help a lot phattening yous sounds (I use it mainly on the whole sound of a song, just before Master).

- Automaton EQ7, Firesledge parameq and all new bigyo's EQ are excellent EQ.

- Fuzzpilz Chorpse and FSM Phatman are my favorite chorus. Very good sounding. I recently discovered Jeskola Karhu which is amazing in term of quality.

I sure miss a lot of machine :)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I totally forgot to mention HD ChorD (chorus plugin) - 32 voices!!!
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

I hate to say it, but it is REALLY hard to get "quality" sound (I know it's a subjective thing) with native Buzz gens. Even with many of the not so pro SynthEdit VST plugins, there is a world of difference sound wise. Depth, frequency, width, tone, etc. However, there is a plastic-like thinness with a lot of Buzz gen's that has a time and place.

My favorites were always:

Infector
Ninja Delay
Matilde Tracker
BG Compressors
ags

Post by ags »

vaisnava wrote:I hate to say it, but it is REALLY hard to get "quality" sound (I know it's a subjective thing) with native Buzz gens.
LOL.WRONG.
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

"I know it's a subjective thing" ;)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Native Buzz gens usually don't have any built in effects, which might be the cause of the so called thinness. I use almost exclusively Buzz effects.
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

don't let the topic go that way! this was already discussed in depth around 2002 ;)
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

I use a lot of effects, often too many but they are so much fun :) I use a lot of the ones other people have talked about, but you all missed:

Joachip Chopper, a gapper with a few extra bits that let the gaps to evolve through the track. You can get a lot of movement out of it, and if he ever finishes version two we are in for a treat :)

Mixio for mixing. And gaping, and panning, and looking at the levels. You can also get fun stuff with high rows per beats and ctrl-r!

Ld0d's transient 2 and joachip's jupiter 3.0 (I still use the presets alot) are great for controlling dynamics.

FSM wahman 2 series and katana hilopass filters. hilopass has a very clear sound I like, and lots of control of the db. And wahman is just fantastic on basses :)

Intoxicat's Genre and dubdelay are too favourites as well, good sound and lots of fun.

and a few betas machines like uranus 0.8 and ld channeleq b1, which i started beta testing and then fell in love with :)

Also, and you should all be ashamed for forgetting it, Zephod Blok Modular Buzz FX. High quality modular effects in your modular tracker!
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

mantratronic wrote:I use a lot of effects, often too many but they are so much fun :) I use a lot of the ones other people have talked about, but you all missed:

Joachip Chopper, a gapper with a few extra bits that let the gaps to evolve through the track. You can get a lot of movement out of it, and if he ever finishes version two we are in for a treat :)

Mixio for mixing. And gaping, and panning, and looking at the levels. You can also get fun stuff with high rows per beats and ctrl-r!

Ld0d's transient 2 and joachip's jupiter 3.0 (I still use the presets alot) are great for controlling dynamics.

FSM wahman 2 series and katana hilopass filters. hilopass has a very clear sound I like, and lots of control of the db. And wahman is just fantastic on basses :)

Intoxicat's Genre and dubdelay are too favourites as well, good sound and lots of fun.

and a few betas machines like uranus 0.8 and ld channeleq b1, which i started beta testing and then fell in love with :)

Also, and you should all be ashamed for forgetting it, Zephod Blok Modular Buzz FX. High quality modular effects in your modular tracker!
Hah! Transient! Almost forgot about that one. You mention a lot of nice fx here that are a bit off the trodden path, thanks for that input. Didn't know blok also works as fx! Can't wait to go home and tweak, poor GF :D
btw. No track without mixio here.

I also love Joachips Saturn. It can add the decisive dirtyness to sounds
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Yeah Wahman 2... I use that in about every song these days.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

this is great thanks to everyone for their feedback . so i guess to extend the topic a bit whats some of your favorite native buzz FSU effects?
I use ridma a lot . its pretty awesome for putting right before the master out and stuttering a whole track .
Shro0m

Post by Shro0m »