How to open broken song?

Dr3Tri

How to open broken song?

Post by Dr3Tri »

This has been discussed several times, i know. I actually remember asking this very same question few years ago, and then someone knew the answer right away. This time i just couldn't find that same thread anymore. Perhaps it was in BC.

So, how to open song without certain machine? I am opening an old song and this time loading stops at "Jeskola EQ-3 XP".
Or without any connections to master? (I tried Morex DM but couldn't get it working).
4516N41

Re: How to open broken song?

Post by 4516N41 »

Have you tried to remove the eq-3 dll from effects and open the file?
Dr3Tri

Post by Dr3Tri »

Thanks for tip. I tried now -didn't help. Ok, it moved forward to the next plugin and freezed there. :D

BUT. When i started blank BUZZ file and tried to import that troublesome track, it worked. After that i removed Jeskola EQ-3 XP and problem was solved this time. One thing though.. after i imported that song, all plugins were at one spot. It took several minutes to drag those to usable places.

---edit---

Wait.. i did further tests. It still doesn't work as it should. It took two time to get it open again. And 2nd. time which was successfull, it gave noise burst. I Have to hunt some more. At least i now know how to get it open. There probably is one old plugin which causes this.

---edit-2---

Some progress: Incompatible plugin seems to be "Static Duafilt II"

---edit-3---

Jeah, that was it. I replaced it with another filter and now bmx opens normally everytime no matter how i try to open file. Next thing i am going to do is to edit index.txt and locate Duafilt II to "unstable" folder...
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

8-)
Dr3Tri

Post by Dr3Tri »

That earlier tool that i used few years ago was probably BUZZ helper. Just found it again... someone suggested that to some other guy in another thread. I checked it and it looked familiar.

This have been actually whole series of problems that started when i decided to create "albums" from my early BUZZ works.
Today i noticed that one track uses those RnZnAnFnCnRnL VST adapters and i didn't knew for a while how to deal with it. Someone suggested to open bmx with text editor. That was good tip.. that way i found out which plugins those RnZnAnFnCnRnL VST loaders were using. Then i needed to add Polac loaders and copy notes there -and find correct sound. Nice.

This problems have been just tip of the iceberg, though. Some bmx's give just immediate crash when trying to open them. :D

I learned my lesson. For now on i will always make lossless record of the track when i get it finished. That way i got at least that if song it self is corrupted.
Though i guess that i could have recovered some trax with old BUZZ installation, so far i just havent gone that far.
And i have backups of all of my content which prevents data loss due to typical data corruption. Unless making copies of already corrupted files of course.

One (~2001-2005) album done. Couple more to come!
locojohn

Post by locojohn »

I feel you, Dr3Tri

I've been producing with Buzz from 1997 to 2007, until I bought a Mac. Then my audio PC workstation stopped working at all and for years I was trying to open my old bmx files on different boxes running Windows XP, without much luck... until recently, when I installed Windows XP SP3 on my Mac VM using Virtual Box, then I installed all 3rd party plugins (luckily I kept those old installations on external drive for all these years!). And finally, thanks to Unsunz who helped me alot via IRC, I was able to fix 99.5% of all my tracks, and they sound just right in modern Buzz!

I advise you therefore to go the same route and use New Buzz and older/newer machines to get back the tracks you like. It often helps to sometimes open the bmx file 1-3 times in a row until it finally opens up. Also, certain machines could crash Buzz at earlier stage, so I'd advise to rename them within .bmx files with another machine's dll names, provided the names have the same length. Use a hex editor or something for this task. This is how I had restored the tracks I thought are not possible to restore. Finally, I might have older versions of native Buzz machines you could be missing -- I would happily send you some if this is the case, I have a big collection.

Good luck with restoring older tracks and finishing your album! It's definitely worth it! And new Buzz plays them all just fine! Be blessed!

Oh, and I will play piano accompanying some poetry performance and then a DJ set in Helsinki on December 4 at Alakerta Bar. You are welcome to come by :)

Cheers,

Andrejs