Buzz On Mac and Arm?

bahador

Buzz On Mac and Arm?

Post by bahador »

I was wondering if it is possible to run buzz on mac? I mean for that feature there should be huge change in the coding process or we can already use it on mac or may we have this available in the future?

And my other question is the capability of running future buzz on arm cpus and as you may all know intel has planned to release it’s new cpu architecture like Arm. The world is shifting to the new features available on tablets and windows mobile and android. Could we have some mini buzz for the tablets compatible with arm architecture of cpu one day?
toothsoup

Re: Buzz On Mac and Arm?

Post by toothsoup »

Buzz on a tablet would absolutely phenomenal. While I was travelling around Thailand last month, we were travelling in a public van in the middle of nowhere, and the guy next to me was using his iPad and a music composition/tracker program to mix up song on the journey. Seemed a very natural way to create, especially given Buzz's unique GUI process.
mute

Post by mute »

Buzz is developed on Windows technologies. A port to OSX would mean almost a complete rewrite and no machines would work either.

ARM isn't as big of a deal regarding tablets as is the O/S and technologies/apis available.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Android it is Linux and MAC-OS it is Unix so only way is either trying to run it using WINE or any windows emulator or windows virtual machine. Personally I like idea of platform independent applications. It is nothing new - directx, java for example. I'm just starting to learn C++ so I don't know much about programming but I think if I will write new code I will try to do it in a way which will allow to do compilations for varios environments. Only thing I'm afraid is how to make the same look and functions for different GUIs and APIs. But maybe just because I don't know that something is impossible I will do it. ;)
Cheers.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Mu_ wrote: Personally I like idea of platform independent applications. It is nothing new - directx, java for example. I'm just starting to learn C++ so I don't know much about programming but I think if I will write new code I will try to do it in a way which will allow to do compilations for varios environments. Only thing I'm afraid is how to make the same look and functions for different GUIs and APIs. But maybe just because I don't know that something is impossible I will do it. ;)
Cheers.
:shock: I remember when I thought like that :) If you want to write platfrom independant programs in C++, you will have to use GCC, a cross platform compiler. Even still, you will have to deal with some seriously annoying issues, the lack of consistant support for GUI libraries (I'm sure someone will disagree with me here, but I say they arent as simple as they claim), the different byte-order (or endian), memory handling, etc. Bugs will sometimes act differently under different OS's, so finding them becomes a multiheaded monster with you having to test and debug on different computers simultaniously. If you are just learning programming, this is a very serious challange, and it becomes about knowing how each system works in order to understand what's breaking. If you really want this sort of thing, I would say stick to Java for the time being. Its not very fast, but atleast it runs the same everywhere and does a lot of the lower level work for you...

Sorry for being so negative, but I'm trying to save you 100s of hours of headaches. :roll: I still sweat when I think of making a linux/windows/solaris programmer's editor in university, almost 10 years ago now...
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Thanks for your response. I wonder what if I will narrow my area of interests to Windows, MAC-OS and SUSE Linux? Not Solaris nor BSD because they seems to be to rare. They are well known, good supported systems and have stable patron. I was considering other distros of Linux but I'm not sure if they are enough reliable and widespreaded. What about VMM's for testing/debugging purposes? Motorola, Alpha and I think PowerPC eventually are gone. Don't mention SPARC and other exotic platforms. So at field of war left only AMD and Intel which means I have 2 architectures. I use Virtual BOX - just for testing purposes and I have Solaris, BSD, SUSE, MAC-OS machines which run well so far. And what about this encapsulation thing - do I really know what is inside of a container instead of know how it works? Do I need to learn assembler to know memory handling stuff for proper programming in C++? Sorry for such many questions but if I need to learn something else I prefer to know it at beginning.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Mu_ wrote:Thanks for your response. I wonder what if I will narrow my area of interests to Windows, MAC-OS and SUSE Linux? Not Solaris nor BSD because they seems to be to rare. They are well known, good supported systems and have stable patron. I was considering other distros of Linux but I'm not sure if they are enough reliable and widespreaded. What about VMM's for testing/debugging purposes? Motorola, Alpha and I think PowerPC eventually are gone. Don't mention SPARC and other exotic platforms. So at field of war left only AMD and Intel which means I have 2 architectures. I use Virtual BOX - just for testing purposes and I have Solaris, BSD, SUSE, MAC-OS machines which run well so far. And what about this encapsulation thing - do I really know what is inside of a container instead of know how it works?
the virtual box will help alot, but you may end up having to get debugging tools for each platform. half the platforms you're talking about are unix based (mac os, bsd, all linux distros) and work in much the same way, the main difference will be windows v unix. If you're serious about this, aim at windows and mac os first, and then you'll get as much as possible of the linux stuff right for mac os first anyway. And yes, keep away from solaris :) There is someone on the forum who uses BSD though. I don't want to embarress him by telling the world he's using such a terrible OS though.... ;) [ :shock: there's more than one of them!!!]
Do I need to learn assembler to know memory handling stuff for proper programming in C++? Sorry for such many questions but if I need to learn something else I prefer to know it at beginning.
You don't need to know assembler for c++, but knowing the bit order (little endian vs big endian) and other lowlevel details of how each computer works will help. don't worry about the various CPU capabilities until you need too though, like SSE or whatever.

The main question for me is what the program you want to make is. command line programs will be easier to make then ones with a gui, as are ones that use files rather than input (like a microphone). For example, there is no easy way to make a windowed application (like buzz) look and act the same way in mac os and windows. although people have tried to make graphics libraries for all platforms they arent as easy to use as the modern windows technologies (WPF) and dont look as good.

So: do you intend to have a graphical interface? will your program use files? will your program need access to peripherals? these issues will effect how long your developement will take for the program to work on all platforms.

http://www.openculture.com/2010/10/intr ... urses.html is good btw, look at one of the introduction to computer science courses (its free) stanford is one of the best computer science universities, and a basic grasp of how programmers think about the hardware will help you a lot i think.