Auto-named pattern copies (would be cool)

DJ Saint-Hubert

Auto-named pattern copies (would be cool)

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

as in, when I copy a pattern, instead of just suggesting 01,02,03,04, I can give some useful prefix/suffix to it, like call the first pattern A and then A01,A02, etc. are variations on pattern A, and B00,B01,B02 are based on some completely different pattern

if this is already possible tell me how!

usually I work with pattern 00 and then make copies when I like the pattern, change/mutate 00 a little bit then copy again

and so on, I could switch over to A02 and make a change to it and copy it to A02_01 for a variation of a variation, the way I envision it. Maybe you could type in * for where you want the original pattern name or something (or just have it at the beginning of the new pattern name)
szaszhareen

Re: Auto-named pattern copies (would be cool)

Post by szaszhareen »

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can do this now. you just have to decide on a structure for your variation names, and name them in the copy pattern dialog when it appears.

however, the patterns will always start at 00 in the sequencer (i doubt this can or should be changed), so even if your first pattern (00) is named A00, and the first copy (01) is named A01, you'll still have to press 00 to insert pattern A00 into sequencer view, and 01 to insert A01, etc.

it's definitely a good practice to name your patterns in some way that reminds you of what they are. i try to give them descriptive names, starting with their sequencer number. for example, pattern 00 on a drum track would be something like "00 4x4 kick", pattern 03 on a synth track could be named according to the note or key it's playing, like "03 g#minor triad", vocal pattern 0A could be "0A KICKIN THE BREAKS LET IT SHAKE LIKE AN EARTHQUAKE", or something like that.

half the time I don't bother out of laziness though. :lol:

I reread your post a couple of times, and it also sounds like you'd like the name field of the copy pattern dialog to be automated so that your chosen pattern prefix is already there when you make a copy. in that case, good suggestion (unfortunately we can't do this now), and forget everything I said above. :lol: