what kind of issues can i expect?

ohmegah7

what kind of issues can i expect?

Post by ohmegah7 »

I've just had my systems slightly corrupted and have decided to reformat to win7. I had xp with build 1466 prior to my issue and when the issue occurred I was no long able to open buzz. What kind of issues can I expect with my old bmx files? I wasn't using any blacklisted machines, but I was using a lot of drum samples. Are there any steps I can take in order to keep my tracks intact?
UNZ

Re: what kind of issues can i expect?

Post by UNZ »

hard to tell, you'll have to open each bmx and see if everything still works.

i think there should be no issue going from 1466 to latest.
for what it's worth, i can still open my bmx files from 10+ years ago (sometimes needs a little fiddling but really depends on what was in them)
ohmegah7

Post by ohmegah7 »

well i have everything backed up, but im just worried about the samples i have used. say i put them in the same place in the new version of windows and ad that location to the wavetable, do you think the bmx would be none the wiser?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

ohmegah7 wrote:well i have everything backed up, but im just worried about the samples i have used. say i put them in the same place in the new version of windows and ad that location to the wavetable, do you think the bmx would be none the wiser?
if you used BMX (and not BMW) the wavetable samples are stored in the bmx file, so there's no issues with paths.
ohmegah7

Post by ohmegah7 »

i just did the install and yeah the samples are intact. I assumed that info was saved in the .bmx, but i was still nervous about it because buzz can be sadistic at times.

i am finding that when opening some files, buzz claims it cant find generators which are in the generators folder and its also having trouble finding the vsts. how can i solve this?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

ohmegah7 wrote:i am finding that when opening some files, buzz claims it cant find generators which are in the generators folder and its also having trouble finding the vsts. how can i solve this?
for vst you need to tell pvst in the settings where your vst are located and then do a rescan (and/or restart buzz).

for buzz machines it could be that you have the wrong version of the generator or that some dependancy is missing (use depends.exe on the dll in question to find out what's missing, its usually stuff like msvcrt7.dll etc thats missing).
ohmegah7

Post by ohmegah7 »

Ha ha. its been so long since ive had to change the settings in pvst, i forgot about their existence. Thanks a lot