Vintage color

Tiadiad

Vintage color

Post by Tiadiad »

Just wanted to see what people out there use to saturate their stuff. If you're looking to give that smooth lush sound to your drums or instruments, what do you do? Also, master buss versus track by track basis, the whole gluing thing, who's doing it, who is staying away? PSP NobleQ for warmth and IK 670 for the master compression over here.
bahador

Re: Vintage color

Post by bahador »

Hey Tiadiad, for saturation I strongly recommend FabFilter Saturn, it will rock your world big time. but if you meant saturation on individual tracks but if you meant the clipping saturation you may use Ik multimedia T-racks Clipper.

for the glue thing no doubt nothing can beat the vintage sound of IK fairchild 670 but my other go to plugin is Waves SSL comp it's awesome. and also you might want to try cytomic glue it's not that vintage but it glue your mix together nicely.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

I agree, Saturn is one of a kind. Once you really delve into everything it can do your head starts spinning...great sound, multi band, mid/side available giving you the ability to place any band in its own spot in the stereo field including separate m/s knobs for the drives, a four band EQ for each band, feedback + feed freq, drive knobs per band, quite a few different and useful, each in its own way, drive algorithms, a dynamics processor per band essentially turning Saturn into a multi band, transient designing, EQing, harmonics enhancing, resonating beast. Oh, and there is a great modulation section where you can bring anything you want to life (not your cat, that little guy is gone).
Happy to meet another Fab Filter enthusiast:)
On the topic of master buss compression, it isn't necessary right? A way to polish up the dynamics? I know some people who are completely opposed to it, they say that 99% is in the mix, and for the most part I have to agree. However, gear such as old compressors had a sound to them, delivered by the circuitry and tubes in some cases, so along with the usual compression you would get this enhancement in your harmonic content, each unit doing it slightly differently. LA-2A isn't even a compressor in the traditional sense, but it does something similar to compression and adds heaps of color. From my perspective master compression is just another tool one would use to get closer to the final goal of finishing a song, an integral part of the writing process (not in every case of course).
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Tubes. There is no competition. :D
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

You mean monkeys (or tape saturation..or both), Joachim?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

OH ITS THE BLENDER MONKEY!
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

:shock: Tube saturated reel-to-reel. Good answer good answer...
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Monkeys, of course! :D

I predict the zombies of the Tandberg engineers will rise from their graves and sue Blender for abusing their peculiar design.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Mars Filter is amazing for different distortion models. I use it all the time. Geonik Saturator is pretty good too.

Also I use the Voxengo Boogex VST for guitar amp simulation.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Oooh! Mars filter is great for sure!
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

hahaha, very nice mag! i made a joke track using joachip's uranus 0.8 delay machine and a sample of someone making a joke about uranus a few months ago, but i probably shouldnt share it as the sample was copyrighted etc.

i think we could make a whole album with a track for each planet/machine of his!
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

mantratronic wrote:i think we could make a whole album with a track for each planet/machine of his!
Maybe this could be a very good idea for a contest :lol: A contest for a coder, hmmm, not bad. A Jeskola Contest, a Joachim contest, a FSM contest, a Bigyo Contest, that's sounds good.

Joachim wrote some very high quality machines. I didnt even had the time till now to try his 'Chopper' machine... I agree, the planet serie is awesome.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Cool song mag! I think every machine should have a song that comes with it. And the better the machine, the higher the quality of the song. So the best machine would have a song recorded all in analogue and then dithered down to 24/320 at 59 minutes long. Several gigs large download, better be worth it!
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

And the pink elephants! Oh boy the pink elephants Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy ooooh the voices.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I've been doing a lot of research on this subject. Variety of Sound plugins are very nice. I think for general purpose amp simulation, I like the AXP SoftAmp 30D, but for serious broken amp distortion, Mars Filter is still my choice.

I made a post on KVR about this recently, and got a lot of great responses and VST plugins added to my arsenal:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392795
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

AXP sounds interesting. Plogue released a very unique bit crusher called chipcrusher. It has some really interesting features. A bit dangerous. Can't stay away from tape plugins (tone boosters ReelBus is very affordable, spooky affordable, and in shootouts loses only to Slate Digital VTM), psp eqs are incredible, especially with saturation switched on, it essentially acts like a really harmonic brickwall. Of course gear should never dictate your work.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

I recently purchased u-he satin, it's really hard to beat for adding warmth and saturation.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/satin