bmw saving bug

Paul Eye

bmw saving bug

Post by Paul Eye »

The first time you save a bmw file it doesn't include the wavetable samples in the files (as it's supposed to). The next time you save (or save as and overwrite an existing file), the samples are included, unless you save to an entirely new file (then the samples are again not included). Noticed this as I'm working on a remix with quite large 24-bit stem tracks and the bmw files are quickly climbing towards 100mb per file (yes, I liko to keep multiple versions as I work on something).

On a side note, nice to be kinda back making (at least some) music again after years of hibernation :)
Paul Eye

Re: bmw saving bug

Post by Paul Eye »

Well, I never finished said remix (not exactly a surprise) but I opened the last version today just out of pure interest and fiddled around with it a bit.
The saving bug is stil there, build 1503.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

.bmw files don't save the wav inside the .bmw file, they are just referenced to the folder you loaded them from.

anyway, why not save as .bmx (which DOES embed the wavetable into the .bmx), hard drive space is cheap...
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

UNZ wrote:.bmw files don't save the wav inside the .bmw file, they are just referenced to the folder you loaded them from.
Of course I know that, did you even read what I wrote? As in: "the first time you save a .bmw the wavetable samples aren't saved in the file (as it's supposed to do), but subsequent saves to the same file, or if overwriting an existing file causes the wavetable samples to be saved in the .bmw file (as it's NOT supposed to do).
anyway, why not save as .bmx (which DOES embed the wavetable into the .bmx)
For the exact reason that it DOES save the wavetable samples, which is completely redundant.
hard drive space is cheap...
Yes thank you, I know that. I have plenty of it. But that's completely beside the point.
polac

Post by polac »

I read it also the wrong way I have to say, odd bug. :mrgreen:
IXix

Post by IXix »

Welcome back!

I've never noticed that bug because I habitually save to a new filename every time I save (paranoid old Buzz habit!) but you're completely right. I wonder how long it has been like that? :?:
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

IXix wrote:Welcome back!
Thanks, although I might just crawl back under my rock and come back in 2020 again :D
(paranoid old Buzz habit!)
Well if there's one thing Buzz taught me, it's "save early, save often, save whenever you add something significant, keep multiple copies, unexplainable weird shit might happen any time (not so much anymore with the new builds though)".
IXix

Post by IXix »

Paul Eye wrote:if there's one thing Buzz taught me, it's "save early, save often"...
It taught me that too! :lol: