How to read the CPU-Monitor?

blafot

How to read the CPU-Monitor?

Post by blafot »

Hi.
On my old computer (first version of centrino dual core) I could not use more then one core.
Now i have a i5 (4 threads/2 cores) and trying to figure out how to read the cpu monitor.

Can someone give me a hint of howto? I have been watching TOTAL and never gone higher than 50%. I need to know how the cores are working here and what overhead is cause I'm going to gig live using a lot of vst-i:s.

How hi can it go? How can I see the second core?

/M
nathansnider

Re: How to read the CPU-Monitor?

Post by nathansnider »

Probably the easiest way to figure out what's going on is to add machines until you overload the CPU (which it seems you've already tried to do) and then run Resource Monitor (resmon.exe from the Windows Run prompt). There you can see how the CPU load is being distributed.

Just from a practical point of view, if Buzz is slowing down or glitching out at 50% reported usage, then it would seem that you are effectively maxing out one core. If you can run all of your VSTis along with whatever other stuff you plan to use live without glitches, then there's probably not much cause for concern. When in doubt, experiment!