Pattern automation / improvisation recording

mridlen

Pattern automation / improvisation recording

Post by mridlen »

Hopefully someone can understand what I am asking here...

Say I create a short arpeggio and I want to improvise the tweaking of it over a long period of time. Then I create a long pattern (length 8192 for example) and then I want to record any tweaks I make to that pattern. Is there a way to make it record to that pattern and not to the arpeggio pattern? Would I just have to make the arpeggio use note data only? What is the best way of doing this?

Then say for example, I want to automate another parameter. Is it possible to avoid overwriting the first long pattern?
Paul Eye

Re: Pattern automation / improvisation recording

Post by Paul Eye »

Param tweaks are always recorded to the pattern(s) in the leftmost track of a machine in the sequencer. So, put your arp on one track, create a new track for the same machine, move it to the left of the arp track, put the empty tweak pattern there and record. You can keep adding tracks, param tweaks are read from all tracks but always recorded to the leftmost track.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Good to know!
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

Of course you don't have to keep adding new tracks for every new param tweak :) Depends how you want to organize things.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Thanks so much!!! This will be a tremendous help!
Joachip

Quantize live play

Post by Joachip »

Now that we're on the topic of improvisation, here's a little tip that I obviously forgot. Before recording into a pattern from a midi intrument, remember that these two values should be in sync - possibly the same. So 1/16 is a very bad value for a pattern with 6 rows/ticks per beat.

1/16 is probably the right value for a 16 tick 1-bar pattern (the default values).
1/6 worked well for my 24 tick long 1-bar pattern (screenshot above)

Even though it worked fine, I wonder if 1/24 would have been a more correct setting though.
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

mridlen wrote:Thanks so much!!! This will be a tremendous help!
Glad to be of help :)