Can I use two QWERTY- keyboards at the same time?

AndersBrontosaurus

Can I use two QWERTY- keyboards at the same time?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

I have a dream to be able to control pac's patternist and snowglobe's scalewalker (or two different scalewalkermachines) at the same time with one qwertykeyboard connected to each machine.

Is this possible?
Last edited by AndersBrontosaurus on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
boombaxx

Re: Can I use two keyboards at the same time?

Post by boombaxx »

Tried midi thru on your keyboard. Assign them different midi channels. Think that's how it works
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

If your keyboards are doing midi through usb, you can use the trusty-old combo of midi ox, midi yoke to merge, split and route their midi signals. I never looked into it myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could switch their channels in software as well.

You can also achieve the same thing using polac midi in if you wrap the buzz machine in pvst I believe.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

onecircles wrote:You can also achieve the same thing using polac midi in if you wrap the buzz machine in pvst I believe.
Rather than wrapping in PVST, you can do Polac MIDI In --> Polac MIDI Bus --> ScaleWalker.

I'm not sure why Polac MIDI In can't talk directly to my machine ...
AndersBrontosaurus

Thanks for replies!
Good news!
I've failed with midi before but it seems like it's time to get this working now.
mute

Post by mute »

There are several answers to this question. If it's regular midi (as in not usb) you can chain them with thru's and/or use a box like this:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/mi ... eOzIxPD-9I

You can use software to merge multiple USB MIDI devices as stated.

You can use hardware to remove the USB connectivity, like this: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml

If they're USB MIDI you're not using both keyboards or controllers at the Exact same time, you can also just change the default MIDI input device in buzz whenever you need to change.

etc. etc.

Then theres the fundamentals of MIDI, like setting things up on different channels, etc.

MIDI Output is 100x easier if you are using PVST. Under your VSTi's menu you should have a MIDI section that lists all MIDI devices installed on your machine. You just need to pick the one you want and set the right channel. That's it.

I do all of the above as I own quite a bit of h/w.
AndersBrontosaurus

I'm still stumbling in the dark. Guess I should learn how to get the gamepad working as midi-controller first...
Anyway, found this post while stumbling around. Might be interesting to someone else than me... :-)

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 37&start=0
AndersBrontosaurus

By the way, was it clear that I meant regular qwerty-keyboards and some pianokeyboard?
Probably not. I just changed the name of the topic to clarify my question.
IXix

Post by IXix »

You can use multiple keyboards with Windows but as far as the system is concerned they're just the same keyboard. The hard part is working out whether the keystroke came from this keyboard or that one. I watched a video a few weeks ago where a guy was trying to get multiple keyboards to work as separate entities. I can't remember how he got it to work but he did, so maybe it might help you...

The Art of the Bodge: How I Made The Emoji Keyboard
by Tom Scott
mute

Re: Can I use two QWERTY- keyboards at the same time?

Post by mute »

I had a friend do this quite awhile back.. one keyboard was normal, the other keyboard was set to "permanent shift" -- the shift button was super glued down. removed on both keyboards. "sticky keys" was disabled in windows. you can't just do caps lock because it has no effect on the numeric key row, shift does.
AndersBrontosaurus

IXix wrote:You can use multiple keyboards with Windows but as far as the system is concerned they're just the same keyboard. The hard part is working out whether the keystroke came from this keyboard or that one. I watched a video a few weeks ago where a guy was trying to get multiple keyboards to work as separate entities. I can't remember how he got it to work but he did, so maybe it might help you...

The Art of the Bodge: How I Made The Emoji Keyboard
by Tom Scott
Sweet!
Three new words. Bodge, Autohotkey, Lua macros.

Nice video. Got to experience the hate/lovething with watching someone half your own age knowing so much more. Impressive to do it in one shoot.
mute wrote:I had a friend do this quite awhile back.. one keyboard was normal, the other keyboard was set to "permanent shift" -- the shift button was super glued down. removed on both keyboards. "sticky keys" was disabled in windows. you can't just do caps lock because it has no effect on the numeric key row, shift does.
Then this must be the ultimate Bodge!
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

with usb i have done it 2 mouses yes all usb
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

try some of jeskolas weird plugins. This is called sedimentary rock.

https://soundcloud.com/paulgroover/paul ... ntary-rock
IXix

Post by IXix »

mute wrote:the shift button was super glued down
Genius. :ugeek:
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

wwhhaatt wwaass tthhee qquueessttiiioonn :D :mrgreen:
AndersBrontosaurus

IXix, thanks a lot for your help. This seems really promising.
With the help of autohotkey I might even be able to pull this off with a single keyboard. If I understand the instructions I can create macros that decides what window should be active and that would take me quite far.
Hid/luamacros would also be great. Several synths active simultaneously.
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

I don't know about those two machines but if they can receive MIDI, you can use MidiKeySplit vst, with polac vst loader.
Right click in Machine View on the MidiKeySplit "icon" (not window) to get all the options for it. Click MIDI send, select the two machines you want to send MIDI two.
Then play with you QWERTY keyboard on the window of MidiKeySplit.

I've used it like that for playing with my QWERTY keyboard with 2 VSTs.
AndersBrontosaurus

Thanks for the idea. My head is busy with other things but I will try it when I have time.