Shortcut for adding controllers?

AndersBrontosaurus

Shortcut for adding controllers?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Ny bitmappsbild (3).jpg
So. I'm about to add all knobs on my midi controller and repeat it for several channels. It's going to be a lot of iterations with moving controllers, click here, write, click there, repeat... Is there a way to hack myself into a table of some kind and just write everything manually? This would also give me the possibility to rename them afterwards and most important, back up the table before making a clean install which will be needed in a while.
Paul Eye

Re: Shortcut for adding controllers?

Post by Paul Eye »

I think I've said this before, but forget the built-in MIDI assignments and use PeerCtrl instead. Much more flexible and you can assign and deassign controls as you wish.
Just remember: one PeerCtrl per song, use 2 or more and it'll end up in disaster later on. And remember to RTFM :)
AndersBrontosaurus

Thanks for replying!
I know what you warned me about but 3 pages x 8 knobs x maybe 10 channels is a awful lot of repeating movements.
And two peerctrl seems to work so far. 1 per midichannel. Makes it easier to overview.
AndersBrontosaurus

So to clarify, I use peerctrl and it works fine. My issue is the set up of all knobs in all channels in Buzz preferences.
It will take ages and I want to find a way to backup the settings afterwards.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

You might find it easier to use this page:
www.robotplanet.dk/audio/buzz-knob-assigner.php

And then perhaps fine-tune the resulting .reg file in Notepad++ or such editor.
AndersBrontosaurus

Joachip wrote:You might find it easier to use this page:
http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/buzz-knob-assigner.php

And then perhaps fine-tune the resulting .reg file in Notepad++ or such editor.
Yes! This looks like the answer to my questions! I'll look into it!
AndersBrontosaurus

Tried the elekt tool but I fail to add more than 8 controls. Is it me or the program?

Joachips buzz-knob-assigner worked fine. Made a mega-reg with 128 controls on channel 9. The only thing that bugs me is, if I want to add more controls, on another channel? How do I do that? I can't just make a new .reg since it only overwrites and I fail to add or edit the reg with notepad++. Even if I makechanges and save the changes doesn't come up in Buzz.
elekt

Post by elekt »

With my tool:

Make sure you run it in admin mode.

You might wanna delete the old controllers. You can do this at any point.

Let's say you have a midi controller with 8 knobs. First you would program the knobs to be sequential CC numbers, so 0-7, or whatever. In the first range (check "enable/reset") you would enter: "start cc" 0, "end cc" 7; channel number for your knobs; controller name, something like NovationKnob - this is what will display in buzz; by using the "append" box, it will start counting up, so if you start with 1, your controllers in buzz will be named "NovationKnob1 (cc0, ch1)" "NovationKnob2 (cc1, ch1)", and so on.

There are multiple ranges so you can enter multiple channels, multiple names, etc.

Just tried it on win7 64, works fine.
Hope this is clear enough.

Only download it from robotplanet.dk, otherwise I can't vouch for it.

edit: this is only for x86 buzz, not x64.
AndersBrontosaurus

Thanks!
Will try again but don't dare to mess up my registry so I'll experiment on the old computer first.
lotti

Post by lotti »

This topic made me curious so i looked at the reg files generated by the tools and what my midi device sends.

Unfortunately my midi device, a miditech control-37, didn't send sequential CC numbers and I wasn't very interested in changing them all by hand. So here is what I did:

I created an open office calc document where I inserted the CC numbers I observed in MIDI-OX. There I realized that a few CC numbers were used by multiple knobs on the same channel - so I added a check for this and needed to change a couple by hand.
MidiBindingCalcScreen.PNG
MidiBindingCalcScreen.PNG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
I gave them names and then generated the string which needs to be copied to the reg file. Also there needs to be defined the total number of midi controllers. All in all not very much work, although I struggled a bit which entries entries would be hex or dec (which can be changed in midi-ox view) and used the wrong quotationmarks ;)

This flow seems a bit more flexible to me, allows me to assign and name them faster than in buzz and lastly I now know where to backup for a fresh install. Thanks for inspiration!
Attachments
MidiBinding.zip
(13.17 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by lotti on Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndersBrontosaurus

Ah. Interesting. And the string "nummidicontrollerdword:22", does it define how many controls you have? I realize 22 could be hex for 34 which is how many controls you use. I tried to edit my.reg in notepad++ but failed. Maybe partly because of this.
lotti

Post by lotti »

jep, "numMidiControllers"=dword:00000022 defines the total number to 34. Did you use a total of 8 digits light in my sheet? I saw this in regedit so I used it like it was there - don't know if it necessary. Did you see the entries comming up in regedit? First check there before going into buzz...

As the use of PeerCtrl seems to be the prefered way, i want to try that one next... Just to clarify: There doesn't seem to be a way to store midi mindings in a separate file, like in in preset, isn't it? How to you work around that issue? I realized that they are stored within a bmx, so i created a bmx with just one machine and put midi bindings on it. But when I import that "song" in another bmx, the bindings won't get importet with it. I would like to have the same midi bindings with one machine, wherever i may use it. Some ideas on that?