Blacklist Rosengarten?

flat

Blacklist Rosengarten?

Post by flat »

I like a lot this effect, Fuzzpilz Rosengarten is crashing buzz in my win7 x64 (build 1437).
It won't crash while running in compatibility mode though, but then the machine will not accept any input.

Found a cached Buzzchurch discussion (around build 1206) where some people were having the same problem, but others not.

What about nowadays, are some users still able to use it without crashing buzz?
Would it be recommendable to blacklist Rosengarten, in order to avoid troubles to new users getting it from buzzmachines?

I remind to see fuzzpilz around in Buzzchurch, but not regularly. Would it be feasible for him to update the code, bringing it back to a newbuzz incarnation? Would he want to do it?
Couldn't find any email adress to ask...
beuze

Re: Blacklist Rosengarten?

Post by beuze »

Same problem for me (Vista+build 1430), Buzz crash if i load it.
It is about a big crash, one of those that I do not like because it is necessary turn off the PC. Buzz indeed does not really disappear because if I open it again the following message of error arrives: " ASIOInit failed ". I can see it with Process Explorer of sysinternals (bought by Microsoft), and I cannot even stop Buzz with this program (" kill process " do not work).
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

if asio or other ports are still in use by another "crashed" instance then end it and try to restart windows audio service.

i never had any case when i could not end the process using the internal task manager or via cmd console. (after switching from win xp to win 7)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

strobotone wrote:i never had any case when i could not end the process using the internal task manager or via cmd console.)
i guess you don't have an maudio ;)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

weird. no i use ESI. but i have an MAudio MIDI keyboard :)
beuze

Post by beuze »

I have M-Audio!!
The behaviour with Rosengarten is very unpredictable: mostly buzz crashes but sometimes I get the GUI with " laurin crashed " and can continue to use Buzz.
I have just noted that if ASIO failed, I can set it new in View / Preferences without having to close program.
Generally speaking,the severity of the Buzz crashes depends a lot of the version. Some builds are very crashfriendly!
mute

Post by mute »

UNZ wrote:
strobotone wrote:i never had any case when i could not end the process using the internal task manager or via cmd console.)
i guess you don't have an maudio ;)
I havent had this problem since moving to windows 7, and the 'stuck' process was usually due to the midi out device being selected in buzz's preferences. oskari did some work awhile back to try and alieviate that and I believe it worked. if you still have the issue, dont have an out device selected (dont really need one anyways since all the decent midi out machines let you select it yourself). I have one selected nowadays, but I don't run into this issue. Buzz doesn't crash very often anyways though. This hung process used to happen sometimes on old buzz when you just closed out the program.
xlorite

Post by xlorite »

i use rosengarten in almost every project on win7 in vista sp2 compatibility mode without any problem and it never crashes. it's a really useful plugin 8-)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

ok but if it needs compatibility mode there kind of IS a problem... people with commercial vst can't just randomly switch modes as some copy protection goes crazy (looking at you NI)
ags

Post by ags »

If it doesn't work (without compatibility mode), it doesn't work.
xlorite

Post by xlorite »

ags wrote:If it doesn't work (without compatibility mode), it doesn't work.
i can't agree with that

for me everything works in compatibility mode and maybe copy protection is the problem ;) i'm not a dev but maybe someone could figure out what's the problem with this machine? i can see that ANY compatibility mode fixes rosengarten in win7. vista mode, win2000 mode, no difference. maybe we need to put some older windows dll version in buzz folder? could someone check this somehow? so people who don't want to use compatibility mode could use this great machine.
flat

Post by flat »

xlorite wrote:so people who don't want to use compatibility mode could use this great machine.
That would be great!

Does anyone know a way to contact fuzzpilz?
mute

Post by mute »

The code is busted, it causes a kernel fault. The way rosengarten intializes some of its values during load uses methods that are no longer valid calls on Windows. I used to have the exact details, but it isn't important really. Only thing that would fix it is likely a update/new version.

You can't just take a .dll file from an older version of Windows and drop it onto a current system/application folder, it doesn't work that way. And this isn't the case of a missing or broken runtime. Rosengarten is broke. So yes, "If it doesn't work (without compatibility mode), it doesn't work."

Yes, it was a nice machine. I havent used it for 3 years now and still miss it from time to time.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

I've got an old song that uses the bugger so no longer loads (crashes buzz rather than just has the 'crashed' machine status). Is there any way of removing the machine from the bmx and replacing it with a do-nothing type machine (eg MT NADA)?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mcbpete wrote:I've got an old song that uses the bugger so no longer loads (crashes buzz rather than just has the 'crashed' machine status). Is there any way of removing the machine from the bmx and replacing it with a do-nothing type machine (eg MT NADA)?
move the dll out of gear folder and the song will load
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

I like your work - Can't believe I didn't think of that !
xlorite

Post by xlorite »

so it seems that this "not working machine" works without even smallest problem on x64 buzz with compatibility mode off :D i checked today. but sadly there are many other machines that don't work in x64... maybe we should make a topic containing all 64bit machines (i guess there were some on the old forum) and working 32bit machines?
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

flat wrote:Couldn't find any email adress to ask...
The only contact option on his website is via PayPal... clever! ;)