any way to distribute buzz songs as a standalone program

DJ Saint-Hubert

any way to distribute buzz songs as a standalone program

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

I might've asked this before... but I mean I want to distribute EVERYTHING in the same package... including the buzz machines/VSTs it depends on (I actually only need a few different plugins). But I want to obscure the patches and the generative script i made in ReaJS? I don't know maybe this is a lot to ask. Basically I want to do a generative album that sounds different every time (wants to be Brian Eno lol)
Joachip

Re: any way to distribute buzz songs as a standalone program

Post by Joachip »

There are a few conceptual problems in doing this, because it involves the listener to execute code. This means:

1) The "player" has to be a windows machine with a fairly recent .NET version. Forget about car stereos, macbooks, android phones, portable mp3 players etc. etc.

2) The listener must trust that the code he's about to execute does not contain virus, malware and what not. This takes a degree of trust I only remember from the happy hippie days of the C64 and Amiga disk mag scene. Or from the foolhearted idea that the internet can be turned into one big javascript and still be fairly safe.

3) Forget about obfuscation. If people's computer can play/parse/process the music you give them, so can the user receiving it (if he's good at debugging). DRM never worked.

So all in all it's not quite possible. The closest approaches would probably be to either write the whole thing in javascript, or to create some sort of exhibition in an art gallery or such, where people can go and see your creation live. Or maybe you could render out multiple mutations with the same song name, and - depending on where people find your music - they'll get different versions. Maybe iTunes could have one version and Spotify could have another, your own web page a third version etc etc.
Willy

Post by Willy »

4) Copyright of the machines/VSTs.
DJ Saint-Hubert

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

yeah, virtually all i use for synths now is blok modular so that's a matter of asking zephod? but i'll probably just include extended versions as a bonus track, or like a lower quality mp3 attachment if that's possible on bandcamp? The generative sequencer thingy is my own code though, if that was unclear. I did make a different album where the sounds were synthesized within the script itself so it was 90% self-contained