buzz forums

forums of the buzz
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm
Posts: 688
Dean wrote:
peercontrols are limited to transmit data one tick at a time, so full resolution-curve via peer isn't an option


no they are not, there's subtick timing now, and while its not at audio rate, its still a decent resolution for almost any automation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:30 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Posts: 89
UNZ wrote:
Dean wrote:
peercontrols are limited to transmit data one tick at a time, so full resolution-curve via peer isn't an option


no they are not, there's subtick timing now, and while its not at audio rate, its still a decent resolution for almost any automation.


wow, I feel old now, I guess I haven't updated buzz in a while.
So there's a peer machine in which you can draw these bezier curves now?
(I mean, I know you can "draw" with peerscream, which was already mentioned in this thread,
but since you can't add/drag points I find it difficult to be exact, but maybe I'm using an old version of it... :D)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm
Posts: 688
not that i know of, but thats what people seem to want, and they'd prefer it "native" i guess. altough nowadays one could just make a custom pattern editor for a peer, would work good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:51 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
It would be nice if the automation could be delay compensated for the soundcards buffer latency size. (renoise and logic does this, ableton live doesn't) most programs have plugin delay compensation , but some like ableton don't also compensate the latency on drawn automation ...which makes all your automation curves out of sync if you ever change the buffer size. It becomes a total pain in the ass for anyone who writes music with lots of tight automation and edits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:01 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Posts: 89
mes wrote:
It would be nice if the automation could be delay compensated for the soundcards buffer latency size. (renoise and logic does this, ableton live doesn't) most programs have plugin delay compensation , but some like ableton don't also compensate the latency on drawn automation ...which makes all your automation curves out of sync if you ever change the buffer size. It becomes a total pain in the ass for anyone who writes music with lots of tight automation and edits.


Buzz supports machine delay compensation.
I've never used it, but even without it working exactly like I imagine, you could just add a delay with your sound card latency figure wherever you want to delay something in regard to something else in a song. It might mean many delays, but if they all share the same figure, it's just a matter of seconds to map it out in the machines view (and simple delays take no cpu power).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:16 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
right but I'm talking about the drawn automation itself being delay compensated...not the output of the machines. would that still work? I understand Buzz and other music programs have machine delay compensation, but some don't also take into account the drawn automation when fixing the latency...so all the envelopes end up being off by however many samples/milliseconds the buffer is set to...and even more problems when you have a high latency plugin in the chain before the machine being automated. Ableton Live still has this problem and people have complained about it for years, but Renoise does this properly.


Last edited by mes on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Posts: 89
mes wrote:
right but I'm talking about the drawn automation itself being delay compensated...not the output of the machines. would that still work? I understand Buzz and other music programs have machine delay compensation, but some don't also take into account the drawn automation when fixing the latency...so all the envelopes end up being off by however many samples/milliseconds the buffer is set to...and even more problems when you have a high latency plugin in the chain before the machine being automated. Ableton Live still has this problem and people have complained about it for years, but Renoise does this properly.


thank you for explaining... I was confused until now.
To delay a peer data signal, we can't use delays (since they are for audio signal) so forget what I wrote earlier...
but if you want to delay a peer signal, can't you just manually start the envelope a bit later?
the peer controllers I use they have triggers or manual lfo settings which you can control a cycle (start/offset, etc) completely.
So, you could use subticks in a peer pattern (for trigger), as a delay. x subticks into pattern, you trigger the envelope - thus the envelope starts x subticks later...
would that work with your desired machine of use?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:40 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
This post in the Ableton forum describes the problem I'm talking about pretty well....and has a few pictures to help illustrate, I'm not the best at explaining these things in text. I could probably do it all manually but it kind defeats the purpose of having any delay compensation at all...and then if you ever change the soundcard buffer or add a high latency plugin to the chain you have to go in and manually change everything again...everything would also have to be changed if I open the project on another computer with different latency settings.


http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129443


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Posts: 89
mes wrote:
This post in the Ableton forum describes the problem I'm talking about pretty well....and has a few pictures to help illustrate, I'm not the best at explaining these things in text. I could probably do it all manually but it kind defeats the purpose of having any delay compensation at all...and then if you ever change the soundcard buffer or add a high latency plugin to the chain you have to go in and manually change everything again...everything would also have to be changed if I open the project on another computer with different latency settings.


http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129443


I see your point, and this inspired a new thread on peer2peer (will post soon).
you could do this semi-auto if peertrigger works for you, but for some reason I can't get it to work now (if
it would work, you could trigger the envelope trigger with the sound of the fx chain in which you want to apply the data, thus making it a match)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm
Posts: 688
samplerate won't be an issue in buzz, you just do it on the subtick.

latency dependance, now thats batshit insane, i dunno what they do to fuck it up that much, no idea why SOUNDCARD latency should even come into play with automations. maybe midi, but then they are just poor and syncing midi events to audio....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
UNZ wrote:
samplerate won't be an issue in buzz, you just do it on the subtick.

no idea why SOUNDCARD latency should even come into play with automations. maybe midi,



Exactly what I've always thought, but ableton has suffered from this problem ever since the beginning. even with people complaining it still has never been fixed. So are you saying this wouldn't be a problem in Buzz with drawn automation, because it would be based on ticks or sub-ticks?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:04 pm 

Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:11 pm
Posts: 89
mes wrote:
UNZ wrote:
samplerate won't be an issue in buzz, you just do it on the subtick.

no idea why SOUNDCARD latency should even come into play with automations. maybe midi,



Exactly what I've always thought, but ableton has suffered from this problem ever since the beginning. even with people complaining it still has never been fixed. So are you saying this wouldn't be a problem in Buzz with drawn automation, because it would be based on ticks or sub-ticks?


I'm confused... I thought you were talking from experience that this problem did in fact exist?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
I'm honestly not sure if this problem exists with the current automation, I've never been able to get a clear answer from a dev and haven't tested buzz too much to find out, I don't like the ctrl+g envelopes so I mainly use absynths built-in envelopes since they have bezier curves..my posts were just to make sure this problem wasn't introduced with the new style of automation. I'm starting to think that because it would be tick based that latency wouldn't be an issue at all though...atleast I hope. Sorry If I caused any confusion!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 pm
Posts: 688
this problem does not exist in buzz if you code everything correct. not even for midi if you use midi synced drivers (like pasio).
what will happen for simple control changes is that sending a controlchangeimmediate will apply on the "next" subtick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 am
Posts: 76
UNZ wrote:
this problem does not exist in buzz if you code everything correct. not even for midi if you use midi synced drivers (like pasio).
what will happen for simple control changes is that sending a controlchangeimmediate will apply on the "next" subtick.




excellent thanks for clearing that up! I'm still amazed that even after 15 years buzz still does a lot of things better than expensive commercial software.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:59 pm
Posts: 297
Location: berlin
this tool was invented by real nerds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 am
Posts: 447
Location: Mörkö / Groke Island
Bump


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:27 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 pm
Posts: 283
Bump failed.

Those who have the time and energy to code this don't know how.
Those who know how to code this don't have the time or energy.

PS: I have nothing to add to this apart from my previous mock-up screenshot with the curves on the F4 page.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:19 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:19 am
Posts: 210
I don't know if it's possible to do this like in Joachip's screenshot in the sequence view. It could be quite easy to do in pattern view however. I have programmed an envelope track for my own sequencer, I could try to port this to Buzz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:09 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:35 pm
Posts: 70
Oh yeah, that's huge!
Try to add this to sequence view, i believe in you ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group