Interviews with Oskari Tammelin, anywhere?

bozz

Interviews with Oskari Tammelin, anywhere?

Post by bozz »

Do any old or new interviews with Oskari Tammelin exist? If yes, any links? I would like to read about how the whole idea with buzz appeared, especially its original design principles, like the sequence editor? Any comparable products from historic other software from C64, Atari ST, Amiga? For example, I found the sequence editor a bit similar to Atari ST Notators arrange view, where there are only 4 parallel patterns, here you can have as many patterns as you want, only in buzz the patterns are single instrument patterns, in Atari ST, up to 16 or even 32, so at max you would have 4 * 32 intruments in parallel, 128 instruments, but in a nice 4 pattern format, so you just mute out what you do not want in the arrange list.

Or some other interesting interviews with other similar cool tracker devs from history and today?
bozz

Re: Interviews with Oskari Tammelin, anywhere?

Post by bozz »

bozz wrote:Or some other interesting interviews with other similar cool tracker devs from history and today?
Found a nice interview with Ronny Pries, http://blog.subsekt.com/2013/04/rendere ... y-pries/6/
Great, yeah, I really like those tracks – and it’s something that all your full on Techno tracks have in common. They seem to be based around a fixed riff or pattern, yet all the supporting elements are changing and developing, maintaining interest throughout. I’m actually thinking of a track like Terror! – but have you any tips or insights into how to best approach that, or prepare a loop in advance of stretching it out to 5 or 6 mins?

Tracks like those – or rather most kicking tracks are rather simple. I mean, it’s Techno damn it!! When reading about the struggles lots of people have, I think their biggest problem is that they make it too complicated. Techno evolved around rather simple setups, overdriving inputs on the mixer and just a few effects. The set of tools available nowadays seems to imply that you have to use tons of stuff to get somewhere.

It’s similar with arrangements. Whenever I tried to arrange a banging track I totally got lost in rewinding, starting to check whether a certain part is too short or too long, add or change something, rewind, listen from the start again, check if the ‘flow’ is alright. In most cases I was tired after 30 minutes and under the impression that I couldn’t nail it. Saved for later review – usually never.

Once I figured that out, I setup some send effects, mapped everything for tweaking to a midi controller and started jamming with it. If I end up jamming around with the content for 15 minutes I know I’ve got enough to work with and record a take. This way makes it much easier for me to maintain and capture my own spontaneous flow.

If you’re sick of arranging, check this out.
How to do this bestly with Buzz?

UPDATE: ... with Buzz + Reaper (for recording your real-time experiments in Buzz, as separate audio tracks per master input in Buzz)