Any way to inverse the output of PeerLFO?

River Cricket

Any way to inverse the output of PeerLFO?

Post by River Cricket »

I'm using a PeerLFO with the "Wander" waveshape to add a little bit of liveliness to a song. Is there any way to get an inverse version of the output, so I have, for instance, two filters whose cutoffs are in constant opposition, or two machines wandering across the stereo field, but always "balanced"?

Or, to put it another way, if I want the values to go:

Code: Select all

A   B

00 100
25 75
85 15
45 55
100 00
what would be the simplest way of doing this?

Generally when I'm using PeerLFO with sine or triangle waves, it's as simple as using two PeerLFOs and setting one to "min 0%, max 100%" and the other to "min 100%, max 0%", but as far as I can tell there's no way to ensure that two PeerLFOs will be using the same random number seed, so this wouldn't work for Wander and Random waveshapes.
IXix

Re: Any way to inverse the output of PeerLFO?

Post by IXix »

I don't think you can do that with PeerLFO alone. There may be a way to do it via PeerCtrl but tinga would know more about that than me.

You can do it fairly easily with my Accumulator though. You just need to seed two tracks with the same value and use command 0B to invert one of them. I made a template (the important stuff happens in the pattern)...

edit: There's no sound in the example btw, just open the filter windows and hit play to see the params moving in opposition.
Attachments
Accmltr Mirror.zip
Using Accumulator to mirror the Freq param on a pair of filters.
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
tinga

Post by tinga »

IX wrote:There may be a way to do it via PeerCtrl
Yes, PeerCtrl is perfect for that, I never use 0B command :? , but with the negative velocity in Split, we can have interesting inversions with filter
inverse filter.zip
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:I never use 0B command :?
I thought you would have exhausted every possibility of Accumulator by now. Have you been sleeping? :lol:
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Thanks for the pointers!

I'm probably missing something obvious, but when I try to open the templates I just get an "invalid file" message. They're saved in \gear\Templates\, and I've tried both leaving them as .zips in that folder and extracting the .xmls within.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like templates have to be saved to Users\%username%\Documents\Buzz\Templates and loaded from the right-hand panel, and can't be loaded from the right-click menu
IXix

Post by IXix »

River Cricket wrote:Thanks for the pointers!
You're welcome. I hope you can get the result you want. :)
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

IXix wrote:
River Cricket wrote:Thanks for the pointers!
You're welcome. I hope you can get the result you want. :)
So just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything, Accumulator cannot send a (pseudo-)continuous value stream, correct? The maximum resolution is once-per-tick?

So, for instance, something like a filter sweep would be impractical - even with a PeerLFO controlling the values at subtick resolution, it will always be "rounding up" to on-the-tick, so more of a sample-and-hold sort of feel, barring an Inertia setting on the target machine?

(I saw tinga's masterful-as-always PeerCtrl setup, and can probably just do it that way, but whenever I use PeerCtrl I always end up clicking "play" instead of "record" and then wonder why nothing's changing :lol: )
IXix

Post by IXix »

River Cricket wrote:So just to make sure I'm not overlooking anything, Accumulator cannot send a (pseudo-)continuous value stream, correct? The maximum resolution is once-per-tick?
Yeah, just once per tick on its own but you could force it to fire more frequently by using PeerLFO to control the trigger param.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Would ctrl D in Pattern xp not do what you require.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Been ages since I used it but my thought is ..... Just map PeerLFO to PeerCTRL (which is then assigned to whatever parameter you're modulating), and in the PeerCTRL graph on the right hand side have it looking like '\' rather than the default '/'
mute

Post by mute »

Aside from what has already been mentioned;

PeerLFO:
1) Yes - Set it to Sine (or ramp, wander, or whatever), add 2 tracks - set one track to start at phase 0% and the other to 50%. Using a pattern a the start of the song or loop to set the phase values helps keep it in sync.
2) Or - if you have any waveform cycles in .wav format you could use the wavetable option, one wav being a sine (or tri or whatever) and the other being an offset sine starting/ending at peak(or whatever). You could use a waveform/cycle generating/drawing tool to make some useful shapes.
3) You can use min diff at an odd value to randomize any waveform, just set them to an odd amount, like 13%-23% or whatever.

Alternatively,
PeerADSR:
2 custom envelopes that are polar opposites and then trigger the adsr repeatedly as needed via the track. optionally, you could also use PeerTrig to use audio to trigger PeerADSR.