buzz forums

forums of the buzz
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:55 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: freezer - wde i think?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:43 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm
Posts: 72
Any good? And does it work in newest buzz builds? I'm working on a track at the moment that is skipping when I play it.. Rarely have such a prob (because I have a reasonably fast pc and only use buzz, not commercial daws). However on this occasion it could be useful.. link for a d/l needed too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
I don't think it works with the latest Buzz. I could create a new version if there is really need for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:49 pm
Posts: 72
No worries for my benefit :P There are work arounds.. Just thought that it could be good in this case so was checking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 am
Posts: 246
wde wrote:
I don't think it works with the latest Buzz. I could create a new version if there is really need for it.


jeskola loop recorder only streams to disk and btdsys audio track exports to wavetable, but not immediately.
cng recorder stopped working with the latest builds (after 1453)
so a machine that puts a stream into the wavetable, that can be replayed (almost directly) with a tracker would be cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:30 am 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Please test: Freezer 2 beta


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:35 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 am
Posts: 246
wde wrote:
Please test: Freezer 2 beta


Cool, thx !!

THROUGH and RECORD modes are working alright, PLAY mode does not play back the wave in the wavetable ... it actually mutes the incoming audio. (Buzz Bld 1466)
Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
thOke wrote:
THROUGH and RECORD modes are working alright, PLAY mode does not play back the wave in the wavetable ... it actually mutes the incoming audio. (Buzz Bld 1466)

The main taks for "freezing" feature in any sequencer is to record and playback an audio path so that either CPU resources can be freed or maybe live performance can be temporarily saved. This is also what freezer 2 plugin does. You can use it for example like this:

1. Add freezer machine after a heavy chain of generators and effects
2. Disable song loop
3. Set freezer to record mode
4. Play the song

When the song stops, freezer goes automatically in to play mode muting all inputs. If you play the song again, the sound comes actually from freezer plugin and not from effects or generatos that pipe audio through freezer. If you check CPU Monitor in Buzz, you can see that machines linked to freezer produces almost zero load to CPU.

The audio stream is saved "inside" freezer (but not saved in bmx/song files), and if you want to use that wave data somewhere else, you can use the copy feature.

thOke wrote:
Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??

This is basically out of scope for freezer, but I added AutoCopy feature to do that after recording stops. The machine itself is fairly simple and after some cleanup work, I'll publish the source code in case someone wants to create a machine more designed for audio recording.
Freezer 2 beta updated, fixes and new features

Bonus machine:
Webbi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Try this: EasyRec

1. Select slot
2. Put on record mode
3. Play song

When stopped, the audio from input should be found in the wavetable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 am
Posts: 246
wde wrote:

1. Add freezer machine after a heavy chain of generators and effects
2. Disable song loop
3. Set freezer to record mode
4. Play the song

When the song stops, freezer goes automatically in to play mode muting all inputs. If you play the song again, the sound comes actually from freezer plugin and not from effects or generatos that pipe audio through freezer. If you check CPU Monitor in Buzz, you can see that machines linked to freezer produces almost zero load to CPU.

The audio stream is saved "inside" freezer (but not saved in bmx/song files), and if you want to use that wave data somewhere else, you can use the copy feature.


Yes, that works, but freezer2 seems to cut the last tick when it plays back the recorded audio, so there is a gap at the end of the loop.

wde wrote:
thOke wrote:
Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??

This is basically out of scope for freezer, but I added AutoCopy feature to do that after recording stops.


That's nice, but the recorded wave seems to be incomplete. It seems to cut a small part at the beginning and a tick at the end of the recorded loop.

wde wrote:
Bonus machine:
Webbi


hm ... not a 'must have', but nice :ugeek:

wde wrote:
Try this: EasyRec

1. Select slot
2. Put on record mode
3. Play song

When stopped, the audio from input should be found in the wavetable.


Yes, this is basically all i need, but there also seems to be a small cut at the beginning and the end of the recording.
The other issue i have is that i can't replay the recorded wave with a tracker at the next tick after finishing the recording, which was possible with CNG Recorder. With EasyRec there has to be one tick delay before the wave can be replayed.

If that could be fixed, the machine would be perfect for me.

Kazuya once made a gapless freezer machine, that still works in recent buzz builds and immediately replays the recorded sequence, but it does not copy the recording to the wavetable.
Attachment:
Kazuya_3_Freeze_beta5.zip [6.51 KiB]
Downloaded 151 times


Thanks for your efforts !!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Ok, I can see what you mean. There seems to be some random samples coming from audio input right after song play is pressed. Seems to happen with certain effects that are in the machine chain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:20 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Update and sources.

Freezer 2
+ Crash fix

EasyRec
+ More precise recording

EasyRec
EasyRec sources

Freezer 2
Freezer 2 sources


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 am
Posts: 246
Thank you for the updates !


EasyRec
recording is definitely more precise, but still not 100% ...

Why is the recorded wave - after being copied to the wavetable - much longer than the recorded pattern ?
What purpose has this silence added after the actual recording?

If you place a pattern with a stop command in the sequence editor, Buzz shortly stutters at that position ...
and it's still not possible to record and playback without a gap.

So i can't record, for example, a pattern of 16 ticks to a wavetable slot and playback that wave from the next
following tick with a tracker, which used to be possible with old CNG recorder.

Sorry for my clueless nagging. I think Freezer 2 works like intended. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:03 am 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
The silence at the end of the wave is related how the reserved buffer size is reallocated. To minimize memory fragmentation, memory buffer size is extended always by about 4 seconds when buffer runs out. Not sure if this is really a problem with latest Vista/Win7 platforms. I could try to calculate the recorded length when recording is ended, but I need to left something for the person who implements EasyRec 2 ;)

Stuttering when recording ends happens because the recorded memory buffer is copied to wavetable - and that takes some time. EasyRec is a spinoff example from Freezer 2 and its architecture is not suited that well for "live" use. For that the recorded audio should be streamed constantly to wavetable. Shouldn't be a big task if someone wants to create live version of the plugin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:39 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:14 am
Posts: 246
Alright, i think i understand that. The silence at the end is not a problem.
Nevertheless now i hope someone capable is inspired by the idea of 'EasyRec2 - Live'. 8-) :)

Thx !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:30 pm
Posts: 97
easyrec just seems to be what I'm looking for. however, it only records an empty file.

I basically just load easyrec, set the wavetable slot, play the loop, open the file from wavetable, silence.

Any help? thx :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
sparschaeler wrote:
easyrec just seems to be what I'm looking for. however, it only records an empty file.

I basically just load easyrec, set the wavetable slot, play the loop, open the file from wavetable, silence.

Any help? thx :)


It is an effect so make sure audio goes through it. In parameter UI change "Mode" to "Record", then play the song.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:36 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 517
wde wrote:
Update and sources.

Freezer 2
+ Crash fix

EasyRec
+ More precise recording

EasyRec
EasyRec sources

Freezer 2
Freezer 2 sources


Any chance these could be uploaded again? The links are dead. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:30 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Sure thing. Easy rec:
Attachment:
EasyRec.zip [6.55 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

Attachment:
EasyRec_src.zip [6.43 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times


Last edited by wde on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:28 am
Posts: 60
Freezer 2:
Attachment:
Freezer 2.zip [7.74 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

Attachment:
Freezer2_src.zip [7.37 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times


Last edited by wde on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm
Posts: 517
Much obliged! :dance:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group