Individual Generator Sample Rate Control?

Coaster

Individual Generator Sample Rate Control?

Post by Coaster »

First post here but I've used buzz on-off since early 2000's.
Right now it's been a while, but most of buzz looks the same so I feel at home!
(except the sequencer of which the text/font has become rather tiny for my eyes... is there any
way of setting a different font or larger text size?)

I have an issue that relates to sample rate.
I think the feeling of the sound from soft synths (buzz generator synths or VSTs) is too influenced by sample rate.
Furthermore, not every VST/generator is coded to perform in higher sample rates. So they will not perfrom as intended
when going above 44 khz.
Because of this, I do not think that "any higher sample rate is always better".
For me, different sample rates give different flavors.

It would be great if I would be able to control the sample rates of generators individually.
(I'm talking about the way that sample rate changes the sound of a generator/VST... higher sample rate
doesn't just add higher frequencies, it changes the entire sound slightly or even radically... so resample is
not an option; I need to control how sounds are generated and modulated.)

Buzz only has a global setting for sample rate (and that "Oversample" setting that only changes sound so slighlty),
so I am curious if it would be possible to circumvent the global setting by hack or giving a unique setting for sample
rate for each individual generator?
Since I mostly use VST Soft Synths I would be content if this was simply an extension of the Polac loader...

Since I can run various DAW with various sample rates simultaneously, I think this should be possible...?

What do you guys think?
polac

Re: Individual Generator Sample Rate Control?

Post by polac »

There is a feature called "oversampler" in polac vst too, here you can upsample or even downsample a vst(up to 128x oversampling). Can be enabled in the edit menu from the vst window or just hold the ctrl key while loading a vst.
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

** post updated **

Thank you for the reply Polac; I must say that I can't imagine buzz without your VST loader! You're great!
I actually was not aware of this feature (!). It performs well (can't compare to buzz oversample), and I'm pleased with the
extra ability to undersample! :) So in addition of big thanks for the software, also a thanks for the tip! :idea:

I first posted this reply with speculation that the PVST oversample acts differently than the buzz sample rate change...
But I was dead wrong. I don't know if I was under influence or my pc was spooked but either way the visualizer also
acted differently depending on sample rate, so the screen caps I posted made no sense!
I did some small testing last night and think in the end this feature does exactly what I was hoping for!
Only thing I miss is being able to go to odd sample rates (e.g. 192khz
can't be achieved from a multiple of 44.1), but I mainly wanted to be able to go to higher sample rates on individual VSTs,
so I wouldn't say that feature on its own warrants an update or hack :D
This is super!

As for native buzz effects (which can't be oversampled) but change behaviour based on sample rate,
is there some neat way to oversample them like the Polac VST loader can do to VST? (perhaps some other kind of loader?)

How do the rest of you go about? Do you always just work in highest possible sample rate?
Candle

Post by Candle »

If I'm not mistaken (& Polac can clarify if I'm off on this), you can wrap native Buzz Machines in the Polac Loaders (either VST or VSTi) simply by adding the Machine dlls to whatever directory you have your VSTs stored in. You should then be able to use the loader's Up\Down Sample function on any Machine you want.

See You In The Shadows...
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

The candle is lit!
I don't even need to put the buzz native gear in another folder,
I can simply open with pvst loader!
(And yes, the oversample works!)
For my usual suspects, I can save them as templates pre-wrapped in loader :D
This topic blows my mind...

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms.
Words are very unnecessary,
This topic's now resolved!

Out of curiousity --- does the pvst loader add a tiny bit to cpu load?
(I'm asking cuz the buzz native effect will have a cpu load listed in the overload
information in the polac loader that is same as the one reported by cpu monitor
for native --- but the same cpu monitor lists the polac vst wrapper with a tiny bit more cpu hog).
Candle

Post by Candle »

I'm glad that worked for you.

As for CPU load, I would imagine it adds something. It would have to, right?

See You In The Shadows…