Odd Peer Ctrl Problem…

Candle

Odd Peer Ctrl Problem…

Post by Candle »

So I've been playing around tonight with trying to get my son's X-Box One controller to work with Peer Control (following the information provided on this wonderful forum - thank you!). But I'm having the strangest problem with Peer Control - when I right-click on the Peer Control Machine and try to select the Assignment Settings, the GUI does not open. I've re-installed Peer Ctrl & still can't get the Assignment Settings to open. I also tried with Peer Ctrl Basic & have the same issue. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Re: Odd Peer Ctrl Problem…

Post by Candle »

Looks like I'm not the only one with this issue…

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2322

I guess I'll give BuzzFixIt a try…

I'll let you all know if it works.

Thanks in advance.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

Having the same issue here (x64). Tried re-inserting envelope.ocx with fixkit, but without any luck.
Peer Note-Pool, PeerLFO, etc are not working. Too bad.
mute

Post by mute »

edit/updated:

to do it from cmd prompt without fixkit, run CMD as administrator (type cmd on the start menu, right click it, Run as Administrator)

C:\Users\aaron>h:
H:\>cd buzz
H:\Buzz>regsvr32 envelope.ocx
Candle

Post by Candle »

Hey Mute, thanks for the quick reply.

I was about to try the BuzzFixIt but saw your reply, so I fore-went (nubistic past tense of forego) the whole endeavour. I re-registered the ocx via command prompt (love those old dos commands!) but that hasn't changed anything. Peer Control still does not allow me to open the Assignment Manager dialogue. I do have the latest version of Peer Control, that was my first troubleshooting path - re-install from a freshly DL'd copy.

By Windows Theme/Hacks do you mean Buzz themes or Windows themes? If it's the latter, then I don't have any of those. If it's the former, I'm using a modified version of ILike Machines (Extended).

Evelon: I just tested Peer LFO & Peer-Note-Pool, both are working fine on my system :?

I'm running Windows 10 & Buzz build 1503 x86 with Peer Control version 1.5

Otherwsie I'm stumped…

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

Just a weird thought from a non-coder: would there be a newer version of envelope.ocx? Could this be the issue? Or have I eliminated an ocx problem with what I have done thusfar :?:

See You In The Shadows…
thOke

Post by thOke »

Here are the latest IX modifications of BTD Sys's machines:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys/files/

PeerCtrl 1.6 might work for you.
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:Here are the latest IX modifications of BTD Sys's machines:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys/files/

PeerCtrl 1.6 might work for you.
Hi all, sorry for chiming in late on this. I just tried and I have the same problem, Assignment Settings just won't open. PeerCtrl is one of the machines that I've barely touched but I'll see if I can figure out why this is happening and fix it if I can.
IXix

Post by IXix »

I tried running FixKit to register envelope.ocx and it works again. I don't know how it got unregistered but it must have done somehow.
mute

Post by mute »

my earlier instructions on how to do it manually left out that you have to run cmd as admin to do it. the /s suppressed any errors you would've seen because of it. i updated that reply above.

to test i unregisted the ocx and it keep the assignments window from opening at all. after re-registering, it worked again.
Candle

Post by Candle »

I'll give that a try. Should someone put Peer Ctrl 1.6 on the robotplanet site? Seems this is the widest used repository of Machines & it doesn't have the latest version… Just a thought.

I'll let you know how the fix works.

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

I really wish PeerCtrl and PeerADSR didn't rely on envelope.ocx. :(

I'm kind of tempted to try to get rid of it. :twisted:
Candle

Post by Candle »

Again, the non-coder talking here; what does envelope.ocx do? If the other Peer Machines don't rely on it, why do Peer ADSR & Control rely on it? Is there a way to change the Peer Code for these two machines so that they don't need to call upon it?

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

I just re-registered envelope.ocx using adminitrator rights via command prompt (I sorta miss DOS commands, so nostalgic) & my Peer Control (still version 1.5) is now working as it should. :dance:

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote:Again, the non-coder talking here; what does envelope.ocx do? If the other Peer Machines don't rely on it, why do Peer ADSR & Control rely on it? Is there a way to change the Peer Code for these two machines so that they don't need to call upon it?
It's an ActiveX control that gets loaded into the dialog. It provides the envelope editor which is why PeerCtrl and PeerADSR use it (it also provided the envelope for the old wavetable view).

The most annoying thing about it is that as you discovered, it needs to be registered with Windows to work, adding another layer of gotcha for the inexperienced and/or forgetful. The other annoying thing about it is that it's a black box, I have no control over how it works (I don't even fully understand how it gets loaded into the dialog) and therefore can't change/improve it in any way.

I'm somewhat tempted to write my own envelope control to provide the same functionality. It probably wouldn't be super difficult but it's not high amongst my priorities.

The other option would be to make a WPF interface instead but I'm not in a hurry to do that either. :)
Candle

Post by Candle »

Well, I'm glad I got it to work, either way. If/when you get around to coding a way around it, I think it might make it easier for everyone. But until then, they'll have to follow Mute's fix. Thanks for explaining, IX!

See You In The Shadows…
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Apologies for the necro: My old/backup laptop had an HD failure a couple of weeks ago so I've bought a new drive and reinstalled everything. I've copied a [fully-working] folder of Buzz from my daily machine, re-ran the installer, installed VC++ 2015 and all seems fine except a couple of the Peer Machines

Peer CTRL gets a LoadLibrary failed but with an additional error:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail
ShowPal... brings up the error: failed to load Buzz\Gear\BTDSys PAL2.exe

Tried extracting and installing 'both' envelope.ocxs from the fix kit, and the regsvr32 method but no luck ....

Anyone know what else I should be looking at ? (also tried installing all of the x86 VC++ runtimes from 2008 - 2022 from here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/w ... w=msvc-170 in case one specific version had the right dll )
IXix

Post by IXix »

That 'side-by-side' error is VC runtimes IIRC. Maybe go older?

Mising envelope.ocx would only prevent the dialogs from opening.

Unfortunately PAL has been broken since the WPF machine view happened. :(
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

IXix wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 pm That 'side-by-side' error is VC runtimes IIRC. Maybe go older?
Aha, you're exactly right - The 2005 one solved it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26347
Buzz is now back pride of place on my old machine all working a-ok. Thanks :)