utrk2 crashing buze 0.5.9 in wine

bozz

utrk2 crashing buze 0.5.9 in wine

Post by bozz »

Unwieldy tracker 2 is crashing buze 0.5.9 in wine. Any suggestions?

Which advantages has unwieldy tracker 2 over unwieldy tracker 1?
zeffii

Re: utrk2 crashing buze 0.5.9 in wine

Post by zeffii »

This is going to be a purely anecdotal response, because I never managed to track down a direct cause of this kind of crash in Buze with Utrk.

I had to stop using buze purely because it would crash almost every song at one point. it gave me heartache. I think there's a utrk2 modified specifically for buze (using utrk source) but that also isn't stable (in my experience...on windows).

it's worth attempting Buzz and patternXP modified too. very nice.
bozz

Post by bozz »

A few posts earlier* I wrote why buze 0.5.9 is 2:0 ahead against buzz 1.2 (BETA Oct 5 2000, 1:19:41 build) which I found in a package "buzzmini", at least both work in wine. Better than having no buzz at all in wine in ubuntu.

buze 0.5.9 allows ASIO routing to another jack app, in my case Reaper. Works great. Loading of samples into waveslots is more elegant between the two above versions, which I have. The latest .NET buzz unfortunately I can not use in wine, thus I experimented with this older version.
At some point I will probably switch to the latest buze 0.8.9, for the beginning I wanted to start with a more buzz like older variant for the sequence view. buze 0.8.9 made a few changes there, for experts probably great, but not for beginners like me. If I want to break the limitations of 0.5.9 I can jump to 0.8.9 of buze. There is also matilde, in case utrk is not stable enough.

Tried also neil and aldrin, both nice but they can also crash from time to time. Best is for now buze in wine.

* viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2259&p=12448#p12448
zeffii

Post by zeffii »

agreed, the latest buze (0.8.x) is very unlike the buze ( < 0.5.x) that was merely a clone of buzz. (but still with many handy additions)

There are startup configurations of buze 0.8.x that behave essentially the same as 0.5.x by having default pattern configurations. That's the way I was using 0.8.x until it became unbearable to keep using (due to crashing without hintings of why..making it hard for Calvin to track what was happening).

I haven't used 0.5.x since it was last released, which is quite a while back now - but it was stable enough for me to use buze as the primary tracker back then. You might want to use Matilde for a period to see if buze crashes less. If you're invested in getting this to work, you might need to get to the point where you track the Machine that causes it, and formulate a reproducible crash. Until then it's hard to help..
bozz

Post by bozz »

My method of adding machines to buze 0.5.9 or any buzz, is starting from zero, if I need anything I will put it in the generators or effects folder. Usually I add stuff people recommend here in the forums. Or I hear and like something from a developer, so add a few more stuff from same developer. Instability issues are related to machines I thought, generally.

There is also buzztrax (before buzztard), but ubuntu software-center of 14.04 LTS has only version 0.6 there, latest is 0.10.x, tried installing it myself, lots of troubles or dependencies, you have to install them first successfully, not easy crossing this trouble forest of errors, compilation errors due to missing libraries.

My latest horror story was trying to install MidiJoystick*, then I had to install first a huge development environment, took long time, laptop almost could not do anything else, then again errors, just trying to get a small MidiJoystick program work in linux.

* https://github.com/osune/MidiJoystick
bozz

Post by bozz »

zeffii wrote: There are startup configurations of buze 0.8.x that behave essentially the same as 0.5.x by having default pattern configurations. That's the way I was using 0.8.x until it became unbearable to keep using (due to crashing without hintings of why..making it hard for Calvin to track what was happening).
Where are they? If you know any places I would like to test them.