buzz forums

forums of the buzz
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 am 

If If I have polac vsti hosting a vst, and I have a midi device through polac midi in, does the vst have to be compatible with midi in order to use my midi controller to control the vst parameters?

I can't figure out how to get the 'son of a pitch' to accept midi.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 am 

onecircles wrote:
If If I have polac vsti hosting a vst, and I have a midi device through polac midi in, does the vst have to be compatible with midi in order to use my midi controller to control the vst parameters?

I can't figure out how to get the 'son of a pitch' to accept midi.

:twisted:

I've never used Polac's MIDI In for MIDI controllers - glancing at it, it seems you want to right-click the MIDI In machine and choose "MIDI Send . . .", then select the VSTi machine from the list.

For MIDI controllers, I've always used the native Buzz input - it's a bit limited (you can only use one hardware device - though you can use MIDI-Ox / MIDITrix to combine multiple hardware devices into one "virtual" device if you so wish), but it gets the job done. Go to View > Preferences, MIDI Input, then select your MIDI device from the drop-down. If all you need are notes and velocity/pitchbend, you're good to go at this point, just right-click the VSTi and choose MIDI Input Channel > All.

If you need access to knobs and faders and levers and gears and whatnot, you'll have to manually set up those binds, which can be a bit involved to describe. First you click "Add" in the Preferences / MIDI Input, then wiggle the knob, give it a name, and move on to the next knob. Then double-click the VSTi, Learn > Learn All Parameters. Right-click the VSTi machine (the box in Buzz, not the actual GUI), and choose Parameters. Then you can right-click any parameter, choose Bind to MIDI Controller >, and choose the knob you set up in Preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:24 am 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yeah I've tried what seems obvious. I have no problem using midi input with many VST but some don't seem to want to do it.

I used midi ox for a while, and it worked great except what you mentioned. I use 2 midi devices, so I needed a bigger tool. Now I use a combination of midi hardware and BTDsys and polac software. Works great for almost everything.

I use a lot of midi in my setup. Using BTDsys peer control I now have about 250 midi mappings in my main bmx. I use a keyboard and a drum machine basically but I have everything set up so I don't have to touch the computer to work with my main synths and effects, it's all in my fiddlyiddly knobios.

I am probably going to just use some native buzz effects for the purpose I was intending this project for, since peer control can handle them. I'm going to post about that in the other thread.

Anyways thanks again!