EQ Frequency Use Chart

mute

EQ Frequency Use Chart

Post by mute »

While digging around for another post @ bc, I came across this.. thought I'd repost. It's usefulish as a quick ref, but seriously lacks in detail when regarding eq'ing for a mix such as with Bass. For that you can find some helpful information @ http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1211
RDEskid wrote: Thursday December 1st, 2005 8:09 Post subject: EQ Frequency Use Chart

Greetings, faithful brethren. I just picked up the December '05 issue of Computer Music Magazine. I found this on the included DVD-ROM, and I thought y'all might find it useful:

Now you don't gotta buy a $15 magazine to get it.

(I DO highly recommend picking a copy up for yourself. It comes with a DVD-ROM bearing a veritable shitload of royalty-free samples, toys, and other goodies, and the magazine itself is full of informative and reader-friendly content, including a 14-page sample-selection to mixdown "Guide to Drum & Bass", a thorough but plain-english explanation of what compression is and how it's used (the first I've read that really made sense and didn't assume that it was review), and great tutorials on additive synthesis and mixing hardcore metal tracks(literally "How to Sound Like Slipknot"), among other things. Definitely worth the price.)

(edit)

While we're on the topic of EQ and specific frequencies, I'd also like to take this opportunity to perpetuate and share (with anyone who hasn't seen it) what has been, in terms of mixing, the most useful piece of text I have come across yet:

---

FREQUENCY:
USES:

50Hz
1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass. Peak equalization with a 1.4 Q.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock. Shelf equalization.

100Hz
1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..
2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0..
3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns. Peak Equalization. For piano use a Q of 1.0. With horn use a Q of 1.4..
4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

200Hz
1. Increase to add fullness to vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0..
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

400Hz
1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 0.7 to 1.0. Alternately try a shelf EQ with a 320 Hz frequency setting.

800Hz
1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

1.5KHz
1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4..
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

3KHz
1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
7. Increase for more attack on the snare or other drums. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

5KHz
1. Increase for vocal presence. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
5. Reduce to make background parts more distant. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.

7KHz
1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.
3. Increase on dull singer. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 2.8. Sweep frequency slightly (between 7 kHz and 8 kHz) to find the "exact" frequency of the S
6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4.

10KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
3. Increase for hardness on cymbals. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.
4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4.

15KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound). Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0.
3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4 to 2.8.

cleen version

useful frequencies for several instruments:

Voice: presence (5 kHz), sibilance (7.5 - 10 kHz), boominess (200 - 240 kHz), fullness (120 Hz)

Electric Guitar: fullness (240 Hz), bite (2.5 kHz), air / sizzle (8 kHz)

Bass Guitar: bottom (60 - 80 Hz), attack (700 - 1000 Hz), string noise (2.5 kHz)

Snare Drum: fatness (240 Hz), crispness (5 kHz)

Kick Drum: bottom (60 - 80 Hz), slap (4 kHz)

Hi Hat & Cymbals: sizzle (7.5 - 10 kHz), clank (200 Hz)

Toms: attack (5 kHz), fullness (120 - 240 Hz)

Acoustic Guitar: harshness / bite (2 kHz), boominess (120 - 200 Hz), cut (7 - 10 kHz)

---

(No, I'm not trying to take credit for writing all that. The list was directly ripped from this and a subsequent post by hotelsinus on the buzzmachines.com messageboards. I came upon it thanks to a link on the vastly helpful website of nool, who deserves to be canonized for providing such a resource, should Buzz ever become an officially recognized religion.)

With these handy little guides, EQing becomes a much less intimidating process to embark upon for those of us who can't accurately tell what the dominant frequency of any given sound is just from hearing it once. I recommend cut-pasting it into a notepad document on your Desktop, which can be opened or copied in turn on to the info screen within Buzz for quick reference.

Well, nuff said. Happy tweaking!
strobotone

Re: EQ Frequency Use Chart

Post by strobotone »

good overall guide. especially for learning. put it in BUZZ´s Info View (F10) :)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

strobotone wrote:good overall guide. especially for learning. put it in BUZZ´s Info View (F10) :)
or wde notebook hehe
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

UNZ wrote:
strobotone wrote:good overall guide. especially for learning. put it in BUZZ´s Info View (F10) :)
or wde notebook hehe
in a template even! (the image is pixelated, not sure why.. can't figure out if I can resize it)
Attachments
EQ guide.zip
template in here
(620.21 KiB) Downloaded 376 times
bahador

Post by bahador »

Other than the marvelouse chart you have provided us with, Waves new H-EQ offers the note charts and the freq chart of each note on a piano role based EQ. you can download their free trial on their website, give it a try the EQ Freq chart comes handy specially when doing piano EQ-ing.

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=11818

o by the way where should we copy the xml file to?
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

bahador wrote: o by the way where should we copy the xml file to?
you can find the directory by right clicking on the templates box and selecting explore, it should be in "my documents\buzz\templates"
wde

Post by wde »

mantratronic wrote:
in a template even! (the image is pixelated, not sure why.. can't figure out if I can resize it)
It's a feature. It auto-resizes large images (>550px) so that you don't need to do horizontal scolling. In buzz, everything should be vertical :)

Edit: viewtopic.php?p=1553#p1553