recommend data recovery software

onecircles

recommend data recovery software

Post by onecircles »

So, this week I've had a major scare, nearly losing all the work I have ever done including like 1000 music recordings, all my buzz files, all my photos etc.

I kept all my data mirrored on 2 hard drives, but in the end it was human error that caused me to have a massive data loss.

All the files appear to be there after doing a deep scan taking about 8 hours per hard drive. I haven't recovered the data yet because I'm going to be doing a complete copy, including empty space of the two hard drives, so that I can recover again from those if anything goes wrong in the process.

I am moving to a new regime where I will be keeping all my data in 3 hard drives in 2 physical locations. 2 in the computer and 1 in a lock box.

Anyways, I tried recuva. It was not able to find all the files. I had best results with ontrack so far, but it's also the most expensive. I need software that will keep the file structure, as that's how I have organized everything, by what file it was in.

I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for good data recovery software. Recovery rate is the most important metric.

Thanks!
IXix

Re: recommend data recovery software

Post by IXix »

I've only really used Recuva but I think I've saw some heavy forensic disk scanning software for linux systems when I last looked into it.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Hello, have you tried HDD Docking? I saved some hard drive data with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIornQLHxxo
Willy

Post by Willy »

For Windows:
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

(beware there's another software called Get Data Back which is not the same)

If you have a spare computer with Linux, I recommend ddrescue (here too: not dd, not dd_rescue) though. Had to rescue a hard drive myself and found out it's way better than any Windows software.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

The best one I found was stellar data recovery. It found absolutely everything. Then I started running into the issue of where I am going to recover the data TO, I don't want to buy a bunch of hard drives. That lead me into the world of LTO tape, and then that lead me into the world of fiber optic cards. Everything should be functional by next week. I tell yall about it. Lub ye.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

glad you're getting it sorted. TestDisk has always been my go to.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I use Dropbox with the packrat 30 day revision history. I also keep my songs in versioned revisions. Every time I save it as v2, v3, v4, etc.

Good luck on recovering your files. I would feel lost if my Buzz collection died.