Noob MIDI question…

Candle

Noob MIDI question…

Post by Candle »

I searched through the forums to see if I could find an answer to this (I'm sure) noob question. But I couldn't find anything. So here goes.

I have my guitar routed through my UMC404HD via Polac's ASIO In to bring the signal into Buzz. I have two routings from the ASIO In: first to IX PatchBay (to select the multiple Effects routings I love to play around with) & secondly to WDE's wonderful Note Detector (where my Guitar can then trigger Buzz Generators or VSTi's). What I would like to do is MIDI record the notes detected by Note Detector so that I can then upload the resulting MIDI file into my Guitar TAB software (Power TAB 1.7) for scoring.

I'm fairly new to MIDI. I understand the concept & the power of the standard. But I can't seem to get it to work the way I think it should. Essentially, I'd like to figure out how to get Buzz to send MIDI Note data (from Note Detector) externally to a 3rd party program that can record that data. Or (even better, but I don't think Buzz does this) have Buzz natively record the MIDI Note Data that I can then import into my TAB software.

I've tried Mimo's MIDI Out Machine as well as the vMIDIOutII Machine. Neither seem to work (or maybe I'm doing something wrong). Polac has MIDI In & MIDI Bus II. Will MIDI Bus II send MIDI Note Data external? I have MIDI Yoke installed (this is on my old XP computer that I keep around for some of its elder charms), but perhaps there's something better for Virtual MIDI routing.

A step-by-step for dummies version of instructions would be greatly appreciated as I seem to be stumbling over what I would think would be pretty basic methodologies.

Thank you in advance!

See You In The Shadows…
thOke

Re: Noob MIDI question…

Post by thOke »

Candle wrote:What I would like to do is MIDI record the notes detected by Note Detector so that I can then upload the resulting MIDI file into my Guitar TAB software (Power TAB 1.7) for scoring.

... have Buzz natively record the MIDI Note Data that I can then import into my TAB software.
You can send the midi data from note detector GUI to a target buzz machine, i recommend IX Split.
Create a pattern for it in the sequence editor as long as you want the recording to be.
Now press the record button from Buzz (F7). All the notes are now recorded to the pattern while you are playing.
midi rec.jpg
midi rec.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 8598 times
Finally go to the small sequence editor above the pattern editor, right click on the track and export to midi file!!
midi exp.jpg
midi exp.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 8598 times
Candle

Post by Candle »

Wow, that looks deleriously simple. Thank you so much thOke!

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

Just tried a simple CMaj Arpeggio with a QSamo synth run through the Note Detector & recorded into IX Split. After playing around with the resulting MIDI file in a sequencer, I got it to work perfectly in Power TAB Editor! Thank you so much thOke!

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

OK, next Noob MIDI question… :oops:

So, I've been setting up my new MIDI Foot Controller to control a bunch of things in Buzz (mostly IX PatchBay & the Mobius VST Looper). I've discovered that controling either depends on which is selected in the MIDI Focus Machine drop down menu. Is there a way to not have the MIDI Focus on one machine? If so, is that simply by changing Master Keyboard Mode to "False" in settings? Or is there some other way to do this?

Thanks in advance. :)

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

1. Master keyboard mode off.
2. Right-click all your MIDI machines and make sure they're listening to the appropriate channels.
3. Check machine attributes to see if there are any MIDI related options.

You can set defaults for that stuff in gear.xml.
Candle

Post by Candle »

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing that up, IX! :D

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

Alright, it's been a while since I've had a Noob MIDI question, so I must be learning something :lol:

OK, so I'm fiddling with my "Live" Buzz setup again in preparation for FAWM 2021 (February Album Writing Month - if you're interested). What I'm trying to do is add one of my son's old X-Box Controllers as an additional MIDI Device to control Joachim's Deep Pan via Peer Control. I've installed loopMIDI as my virtual MIDI driver & am using Rejoice v.1.6 to convert the Controller data to MIDI (seems to be working like a charm via those two pieces of software). Problem is getting Buzz to see this MIDI Data. I guess the issue is that I have my UMC404HD as my MIDI In Device in Buzz which is how my FCB1010 Foot Controller does its Magic ( ;) - that was for you IX). I see that using Polac MIDI In gives you the ability to add additional MIDI In Devices but I can't seem to get PMIDI-In to talk to Peer Control. Reading Polac's help file doesn't give me much help. The diagram in the help file shows PVST sending an audio signal to both MIDI In & the Master. I've tried that & Buzz won't let me connect anything to MIDI In. I have selected the loopMIDI Port as the MIDI In Device for Polac MIDI In & selected Peer Control as the MIDI Send target in the right click menu. I've also double checked my MIDI Channel settings as well as CC# settings. I'm not sure what I'm missing in order to get this to work.

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance, as always :)

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Can't really help with specifics but if you're trying to get MIDI from multiple sources, MidiTrix might be useful. I have a LoopMIDI port as my input in Buzz and use MidiTrix to route my various real MIDI devices to that port. A similar strategy would work for output too I think.

https://www.hermannseib.com/english/miditrix.htm
Candle

Post by Candle »

Does MIDITrix need to be running at the same time as Buzz for it to work? I assume so, right? Looks like it might work for what I'm trying to do. Will play around with it. Thanks for the suggestion IX!

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:07 pm Does MIDITrix need to be running at the same time as Buzz for it to work? I assume so, right?
Yeah. One thing to watch out for (that still catches me out all the time) is to always minimise the window when you don't need it. Can't tell you how many times I've closed it by mistake expecting it to disappear into the system tray. :lol:
Candle

Post by Candle »

Yeah, that'll throw you for a loop :lol: Thanks!

Here's an update.

So I now have Buzz seeing the XBox Controller (yeah! :dance: ); however, when I bind the MIDI Controller in Buzz's Preferences -> MIDI Input, it does not seem to recognize the joystick as a continuous controller. i.e. it's binding the controller with a set CC value of 63 (even though I'm moving the joystick when I'm trying to bind it to Buzz). As such, it's not having any effect on Peer Control. Or am I doing that wrong as well? Can I just assign the Channel & CC# in Rejoice (which I've done) & have Peer Control listen for the CC commands on that channel? Right now I have it set to MIDI Channel 6 & CC# 12 in Rejoice. I know I'm close. Just this whole continuous controller thing is missing somehow…

Actually, I just looked at the Genral MIDI spec's CC assignment list & it appears that CC#10 is used for Pan (what I'm trying to do with this current tweak to my setup). Should I change the CC# from 12 to 10 then? I still don't understand why Buzz doesn't see this as a continuous controller, tho…

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

Got it to work. Skipped the MIDI thing & got the controller to work directly with Peer Ctrl via the xinput dll (Thanks Andersbrontosaurus!). Works like a charm. Now I can simplify my MIDI back to just the UMC404HD (until I get some other crazy ideas :lol: )

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

OK, this isn't really a MIDI thing, but sort of a follow up on the whole XBox Controller question from earlier. So xinput is workign like a charm in Peer Control & I've got the controller controlling the pan of a track in LD Mixer (in my text BMX). I'm having two issues that I hope can be rectified.

First, I've bound the mixer's pan knob to the controller's Right Joystick X axis. Problem is, I would like to be able to pan to a setting (say hard left or hard right) & for the setting to remain. But because the joystick defaults back to the center position, the pan setting goes back to center as soon as I let go of the joystick. I've tried using one of the triggers or the buttons, but I can only make the setting move in one direction (e.g. all the way Hard Right but not back to Center or over to Hard Left). Is there a way to setup Peer Control to be able to allow me to set the pan position via the controller?

Secondly, and this might be an interface issue - when I do pan Hard Left or Right, I see the panning work in the mixer's Master Out VU meter (i.e. there's only sound coming out of either the L or R channel), however in my earphones (plugged in via my Audio I/O), I don't hear the panning. All the sound is still being transmited in the center. Which is really weird because, normally, I hear panning in music (MP3s, WAV files, etc…). I wonder if my I/O is perhaps giving me a mono signal for some reason. Is there a way to check?

Again, thanks for your patience & advice in advance!

See You In The Shadows…
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Candle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:55 pm First, I've bound the mixer's pan knob to the controller's Right Joystick X axis. Problem is, I would like to be able to pan to a setting (say hard left or hard right) & for the setting to remain. But because the joystick defaults back to the center position, the pan setting goes back to center as soon as I let go of the joystick. I've tried using one of the triggers or the buttons, but I can only make the setting move in one direction (e.g. all the way Hard Right but not back to Center or over to Hard Left). Is there a way to setup Peer Control to be able to allow me to set the pan position via the controller?
I actually had a setup like this a while back, though I'm having a bear of a time remembering exactly how I did it.

If my wonderfully named Bome Midi Translator preset file "fart.bmtp" is to be trusted, I believe what you want to do is set an Incoming Trigger to "Disable Processing". Then the workflow is "move joystick to position, press whatever button you bound to the Incoming Trigger, joystick freezes in previous position".

If that doesn't work, then I'm still 100% sure it can be done in Bome Midi somehow - their forums are really responsive, if you describe your issue someone will probably be happy to walk you though it.

And after thinking about it for a bit I may have actually found that using the "ANALOG" button on a DualShock2 to disable the analog inputs would actually end up doing this just as an unintended "happy accident" sort of thing, so if that's the case, then I wouldn't spend too much time trying to recreate the magic of fart.bmtp - just ask over at https://forum.bome.com/.
Candle

Post by Candle »

River Cricket wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:56 amI actually had a setup like this a while back, though I'm having a bear of a time remembering exactly how I did it.

If my wonderfully named Bome Midi Translator preset file "fart.bmtp" is to be trusted, I believe what you want to do is set an Incoming Trigger to "Disable Processing". Then the workflow is "move joystick to position, press whatever button you bound to the Incoming Trigger, joystick freezes in previous position".

If that doesn't work, then I'm still 100% sure it can be done in Bome Midi somehow - their forums are really responsive, if you describe your issue someone will probably be happy to walk you though it.

And after thinking about it for a bit I may have actually found that using the "ANALOG" button on a DualShock2 to disable the analog inputs would actually end up doing this just as an unintended "happy accident" sort of thing, so if that's the case, then I wouldn't spend too much time trying to recreate the magic of fart.bmtp - just ask over at https://forum.bome.com/.
Thank you for the reply, River Cricket. Do I understand your post correctly that to set the Incoming Trigger to "Disable Processing" as you suggest, I need to do this in Bome MIDI Translator? I don't have Bome, so I'm not sure how to work this otherwise. Or is there a setting in Peer CTRL similar to this in order to disable processing?

Again, thank you for your help with this!

See You In The Shadows…
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Candle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:05 am Thank you for the reply, River Cricket. Do I understand your post correctly that to set the Incoming Trigger to "Disable Processing" as you suggest, I need to do this in Bome MIDI Translator? I don't have Bome, so I'm not sure how to work this otherwise. Or is there a setting in Peer CTRL similar to this in order to disable processing?

Again, thank you for your help with this!

See You In The Shadows…
Sorry about the delayed reply :)

Yes, you would need to do it in Bome MIDI Translator (again, assuming my sketchy memory is correct).

Bome MIDI Translator Classic is free, though it does nag for registration after a while, and it's Windows-only (though if you're running Buzz, I suspect that's not a concern :D). There's also MIDI Translator Pro, but I haven't had much/any experience with that.
Candle

Post by Candle »

Again, thank you for the reply, River Cricket. I'm having some computer issues at the moment & will probably have to re-install Buzz once I get those sorted out, so it's going to be a while before I can test out your suggestion. But thank you for helping me out with this!

See You In The Shadows…
invisible_sweater

Post by invisible_sweater »

thOke wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 pm
Finally go to the small sequence editor above the pattern editor, right click on the track and export to midi file!!
Can someone please explain to me what's going on here with the "small sequence editor above the pattern editor"?? I could really realllly use an easy MIDI export for guitar tab purposes as well. Also I tried to find this WDE Note Detector for download but couldn't find it... Is there another page besides Robot Planet where they have newer Buzz Machines? Thanks for your help!
Candle

Post by Candle »

Hi Invisible sweater,

You can DL WDE's Note Detector here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2283

As for the "small sequnce editor above the pattern editor", it's part of the Pattern XP Mod that has updated the Pattern Editor with some great functions (including the small sequence editor on the same page). You can DL Pattern XP Mod here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1754

Unfortunately there's a number of really amazing machines that seem to only be available here on the forums (many of WDE's machines & the Snowglobe Suite of machines are probably the two that come to mind). There was quite a while where Dev's were unable to logon to Robot Planet so new machines have been posted here. I'm not sure if the logon issue has been fixed, but hopefully those machines posted here on the forums will soon be uploaded to Robot Planet.

Hope that helps!

See You In The Shadows…