New Buzz still crashes over missing machines?

invisible_sweater

New Buzz still crashes over missing machines?

Post by invisible_sweater »

From everything I've heard, new Buzz shouldn't crash when it can't find a machine, it should just put a placeholder there.

And yet, here we are. This is all from trying to open BMXs I made on my old computer, a few certain machines I used heavily are now unable to be recognized when loading the file. The plugins are in the folder, but Buzz doesn't like them anymore. I've already adjusted my settings so I'm running the program as an administrator, and in compatibility mode for Windows 7 as that is the OS I'm using now.

The machines in question are SmartElectronix Tubescreamer, and TDR Nova which is a VST.

The Nova will load, but only if I specify the 32 bit version of the plug-in, which is odd since I'm almost certain I used x64 when I added them to the BMX in the first place. Then sometimes when I re-open the song, it will have forgotten where the plug-in is again. Also, x64 Nova is working properly on other songs that are more recent. So... It's very strange.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I'd just delete the tubescreamer and use a different machine if I could, but TDR Nova is an essential part of my bass rig.

Thanks for any help!
nathansnider

Re: New Buzz still crashes over missing machines?

Post by nathansnider »

One possibility is that the version of the VST being loaded is different from the version used in the original song. If Buzz/PVST is trying to set the value of a parameter that isn't there, maybe that could cause a crash. Also, how did you narrow it down to these specific plugins? Is Buzz throwing an error that points to these VSTs specifically?
invisible_sweater wrote:The plugins are in the folder, but Buzz doesn't like them anymore.
Just to be clear here: which folder? If plugins don't load when you open a song, but you can still specify the path manually, it might just be that the path is not included in the Vst Directory list in PVST Preferences (or you might need to re-scan).
invisible_sweater

Thanks for the reply!

I had all my VST effects in one folder, Gear/Vst/Effects, on my old computer where all my songs worked properly in new Buzz. Copied that folder to an external drive, and into my new install folder. So these songs are referencing the exact same plugins that I have, but being unable to find certain ones.

I solved the issue with the SmartElectronix Tubescreamer, it just needed some old versions of Visual C, MSVCR70.dll and MSVCR71.dll in the buzz root directory.

I can be certain the TDR Nova is causing the crash, as before I figured out the 32-bit version would make some of my songs load, they would all crash as well, until I made that change. I was able to load an earlier backup version of the song that I can't get open, before I used the Nova. That will become my working version and I'll finish the track regardless, but it does help diagnose the Nova as the culprit.

Before I had the proper libraries for SmartElectronix, they also caused a crash on startup. Since those are native Buzz machines, it makes me think the issue is in the Buzz "add machine" routine rather than Polac itself.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

invisible_sweater wrote:Before I had the proper libraries for SmartElectronix, they also caused a crash on startup. Since those are native Buzz machines, it makes me think the issue is in the Buzz "add machine" routine rather than Polac itself.
As far as I can remember SmartElectronix (as in these folks - http://www.smartelectronix.com/ ) hasn't made any native Buzz machines, just VSTs and AUs ?! (EDIT: Oops ignore that I had no idea Apo did a conversion - http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=7985 )

Quick question as I don't think you've mentioned this yet - Which version of Buzz are you running, the 32bit or 64bit build ?
invisible_sweater

It's been in my Buzz effects folder for as long as I can remember! I actually didn't realize it was part of a big line of VSTs until I recently did some googling.

I'm using build 1503, x86. Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1.