hyperthreading

domtron

hyperthreading

Post by domtron »

oskari i have a question regarding hyperthreading.

while on older intel systems hyperthreading isn't recommended for audio,
it seems that newer systems can handle it very well,software is also optimized,cubase for example

do you recommend to turn hyperthreading on,when working with lets say a good configured 2600k system?

i ask this because you need to activate some software like native instruments again when you change the the settings in bios,so it's difficult to figure it out.

thanks,
oskari
Site Admin

Re: hyperthreading

Post by oskari »

I haven't tried it because I have 2500k which doesn't have hyperthreading.
domtron

Post by domtron »

aahh...people it's time for christmas donation ! :D
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I haven't tried disabling hyperthreading on my i7_2600, but next week I can try and see if it changes anything in Buzz under heavy load (when close to clicking.)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

on my 2600k, buzz seems to spread the load onto the real cores first, which makes sense i guess. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The cpu (and buzz) seem to know quite well how to handle pretty much any situation you throw at it, even single threaded workloads are insanely fast. If you really run into a situation where it would be beneficial to run without hyperthreading (i doubt it, this isn't the old P4 hyperthreading) its much easier to fiddle with the AffinityMasks and other Engine settings in buzz than switching it off completely in the bios.

I bet the new bulldozer core is more problematic here, with its "more cores but shared fpu" shit, things might get interesting.
But still, those newfangled CPU provide so many FLOPS (especially with SSE and AVX), if you run into performance issues, you're really doing somethign wrong hehe.
Remember we used buzz on like 66mhz CPU back then, now get off my lawn bla bla bla bla make some music :)
domtron

Post by domtron »

great, worthful information,thanks !

yesterday i enabled hyperthreading on my 2010 dual core and lowered my overclocking without losing performance.
less fiddling with the bios on modern machines, muuch appreciated.

btw.a six core intel is the limit for buzz right now? i mean that's 12 cores,boow. :D