Quad core

Tiadiad

Quad core

Post by Tiadiad »

After years of using the same machine, I'm finally going to upgrade to something more powerful. My question concerns CPU, the best type of processor for music production...etc. I do want to get a laptop, so here's my question: Do quad cores make a difference in music production? If I'm only running Buzz, is it going to evenly distribute the workload throughout all the cores, or just dump everything on one? I know it's a dumb question...but I'm no genius. I'm sick of my computer having seizures because I've been using u-he's ACE again, or just a lot of machines. It would be nice to have a powerful computer. So far, after researching, I stopped on Lenovo thinkpad W520, with i7 quad core 2.50 GHz/3.40 GHz with Turbo 2.0 (by the way, IF only one of the cores is processing Buzz, could I also TURBO it? :shock: ) You can see that I'm pretty fed up with my computers stuttering problem, time to move on...
UNZ

Re: Quad core

Post by UNZ »

buzz can use many cores. i'd recommend i7 too. the turbo function on those processors is mainly interesting for single-threaded apps / workloads. either way: the processor knows how to squeez more performance out of itself depending on the workload (multithreaded or single threaded), really nice. as a use you dont have to worry about it.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I have the i7 2600 which is running 3.4 GHz, and 3.8 in "turbo" mode. When it's idle I think it throttles down to something like 1.6 or 1.8 GHz, so that it doesn't heat up your appartment unnecesarily.

It's very fast. I'm running at 96 kHz samplerate happily which puts an extra strain on the CPU, compared to 44.1 or 48 khz, and I still don't run into problems.

Now, some people use way more machines per song than I do. Sometimes I'm even wondering if their songs wouldn't sound a bit better with less machines? :lol:
bahador

Post by bahador »

Tiadiad, maybe in the old days I was a huge believer that buzz does not use other cores but today I do believe in it being multi-core (if that’s the right adjective) and indeed it does use all of the cores available on your cpu. And I have put buzz under so many tough testing procedures and I did realize that it uses all of the cores of your cpu. Usually the cpu usage of most of my productions are more than 95% and as Joachim has mentioned I’m one of those people who push it always to the limits as much as possible. My cpu is a bit older it is intel 3.2 Ghz core2due and when I disable the multithreading, my computer wants to die. And this is such pleasant news that buzz now is multithreading and intel i7 is indeed such incredible design of a cpu, I don’t have one but have tested buzz on an i7 the song I’m running at 96% of cpu now, runs on an i7 with only 38 or 45% of cpu usage at most. So go for it and see for it that’s a huge yes for me, of course I’m not a big fan of ibm Lenovo but the processing speed of i7 will blow your mind. Photoshop 64bit is loaded in less than 3 seconds on i7.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

due to lots of travelling i use a i7 notebook + ssd for BUZZ since 1,5 years now and it rocks bigtime.
plenty of resources left.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Thank you gentlemen, you have put me at ease. :D