PVST note off at sequence loop start points

nikto

PVST note off at sequence loop start points

Post by nikto »

This is a small glitch (or is it?) that suddenly compromised my whole live setup. :?

UPDATE: The tests show this is most probably the Pvst glitch, not Buzz.

For instance there is a VSTi that plays an endless note which I don't want to break while I play different other patterns. I use LiveJump to loop back just outside that note, and the looped playback lands on the tick past that pattern, where VSTi has no pattern at all. It always used to work, the note plays on and on while I loop different regions, but now - the note stops at the loop start, as if it had landed on a pattern with a note off!

EDIT: I deleted LiveJump and tried to set different loop points in the sequence editor while VSTi note was playing. As soon as it loops back to loop start point the note breaks off! (although there is no pattern there to break it)
Has anyone encountered that? Maybe this can be turned off somewhere in the settings?
EDIT 2: I tested with native Buzz machines (+5U Pro), they play continuously, like always. The loop start point seems to affect only VST.
Last edited by nikto on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Shro0m

Re: Sequence editor start loop point causes VST note off!

Post by Shro0m »

nikto wrote:This is a small glitch (or is it?) that suddenly compromised my whole live setup. :?

For instance there is a VSTi that plays an endless note which I don't want to break. I use LiveJump to loop back just outside that note, and the looped playback lands on the tick past that pattern, where VSTi has no pattern at all. It always used to work, the note plays on and on while I loop different regions, but now - the note stops at the loop start, as if it had landed on a pattern with a note off!

EDIT: I deleted LiveJump and tried to set different loop points in the sequence editor while VSTi note was playing. As soon as it loops back to loop start point the note breaks off! (although there is no pattern there to break it)

Has anyone encountered that? I'm confused, my whole setup depends on that pesky live jumping. :(
Seems jumping to a location where there are no pattern will send a note-off. Never really noticed this, so i don't know if this is new..
nikto

Post by nikto »

Shro0m wrote:Seems jumping to a location where there are no pattern will send a note-off. Never really noticed this, so i don't know if this is new..
this IS new, believe me. It obviously appeared with recent builds.
I'm playing all my stuff based on this jump-looping back and forth while some notes keep playing. (This kind of live control is the most versatile and appropriate, if you ask me.)
Dean

Post by Dean »

if some native buzz machines works still, it must be related your vst, or vst host.
I'm not using the latest buzz build, nor the latest pvst and everything works fine for me.
don't wanna rub it in your face, but while writing this I was enjoying looping a vst over-and-over,
in a loop without triggers, sounded really good.
nikto

Post by nikto »

Dean wrote:I'm not using the latest buzz build, nor the latest pvst and everything works fine for me.
I know it worked with older builds, and obviously, if this strange behaviour persists, I'm gonna have to revert to older builds, but I already grew to like the new features (and the awesome dark theme!) so much, that I'm gonna hope a little more for maybe a solution to be found, in editing some files or config or something.

I'm guessing it has something to do with this:
--- Build 1448 - Wednesday, 08 February 2012 19:56:06 UTC
- F6 plays from the cursor position of the most recently used sequence editor
- new sequence editor: remember hidden state
I'm gonna try this and the previous build to see if the guess is right.
mute

Post by mute »

put a blank pattern there and see what happens
nikto

Post by nikto »

mute wrote:put a blank pattern there and see what happens
ok, tried. the same result: the note off seems to be triggered by the loop start point itself, be it internal loop points, or LiveJump.
mute

Post by mute »

it could be just a pvst setting, if the global setting 'stop processing on silence' is checked, uncheck it and reload buzz. start with a new project.

if that doesn't work, check the vst's instance settings to make sure it wasn't set there
nikto

Post by nikto »

mute wrote:it could be just a pvst setting, if the global setting 'stop processing on silence' is checked, uncheck it and reload buzz. start with a new project.
I've tried this, as well as other pvst settings, multiIO and such, switching them on and off. Doesn't help. (of course, I restarted Buzz each time).

As I said, this loop note breaking appeared in recent builds, it never happened before, with any pvst setting.

EDIT: Now it definitely seems like a pvst glitch! I tried about five Buzz builds with the recent PVST build. For instance, with Buzz 1418 the pvst breaks the note not only on empty loopback, but on the note itself!

The problem is, no matter what options I try to tick\untick with pvst, the note-off behaviour remains.
nikto

Re: PVST note off at sequence loop start points

Post by nikto »

The only hope therefore is for Polac to kindly suggest possible solution.
polac

Post by polac »

EDIT: Now it definitely seems like a pvst glitch! I tried about five Buzz builds with the recent PVST build. For instance, with Buzz 1418 the pvst breaks the note not only on empty loopback, but on the note itself!
Not a glitch I did this by coincidence. The idea was to stop all active pattern notes if the user changes the song position abruptly in the seq. I'll remove this one again, let's see if it breaks some other things then again :mrgreen:
nikto

Post by nikto »

polac wrote:The idea was to stop all active pattern notes if the user changes the song position abruptly in the seq. I'll remove this one again, let's see if it breaks some other things then again :mrgreen:
Maybe it can be an option in the Global settings? As it turns out, both variants can be potentially very useful.
(And many thanks for looking into this!)