"locate machine" feature suggestion

Dean

"locate machine" feature suggestion

Post by Dean »

"Locate machine".
Problem: When loading 100s of machines into machines view, it's not always a "cup of tea" to locate a specific machine.
Or, imagine you have 10+ of the same effect (which might not be something you always rename when you load into track),
maybe they only differentiate by number even, how u gonna find what you want? (especially when you make clones of
machines and they end up having 3 or 4 digits at the end of their original name, thus sometimes pushing the limit of what
can be displayed in the machines name)
Solution: a list of machines with ability to click on machines name - if doing so, the machines view - at the current zoom level -
will select the machine. I don't mind if we use something already available for this, like if CPU monitor window could have a
feature, RIGHT CLICK on machine gives submenu with option "locate in machines view" (or "select in machines view").

Or I would like to propose that the machines list which appear by typing in machines view can be used to locate machines
within the song instead of loading machines into song (for which you can use the machines column search to the right).
maybe in future we could select machines of a certain group this way, and handle them at all once.

I don't know if there is such a feature, I've been trying to find it...
UNZ

Re: "locate machine" feature suggestion

Post by UNZ »

Dean wrote:I would like to propose that the machines list which appear by typing in machines view can be used to locate machines
within the song instead of loading machines into song
No
IXix

Post by IXix »

Dean wrote:CPU monitor window could have a
feature, RIGHT CLICK on machine gives submenu with option "locate in machines view" (or "select in machines view").
That's not a bad idea.
Dean wrote:Or I would like to propose that the machines list which appear by typing in machines view can be used to locate machines
within the song instead of loading machines into song
That's a terrible idea.
mes

Post by mes »

Well I guess it could be useful to some, but I've been using Buzz for 10+ years and have never used more than about 60 machines even on the most complex tracks. It would be nice to have a feature that highlights the wire routing from machine to master when you click on a machine though , sorta like how the wires turn blue in Reaktor.
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

I've never had any problems locating a machine in a complex song.. ever..

What I'd really like is a way to visualize the connections between Peermachines!
When you have something like 50 Peermachines, it get's quite tedious to find which machine connects to which :)

Edit: I vaguely remember some machine that would do this, but I seem to have lost the name, anyway iirc, this wasn't optimal.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Reefer Sutherland wrote: Edit: I vaguely remember some machine that would do this, but I seem to have lost the name, anyway iirc, this wasn't optimal.
PAL2 does it for btd's machines and a lot of others, you can access it by peerctrl, right click on the machine and select show pal

It would be nice to have this in wpf though.
Dean

Post by Dean »

mantratronic wrote:
Reefer Sutherland wrote: Edit: I vaguely remember some machine that would do this, but I seem to have lost the name, anyway iirc, this wasn't optimal.
PAL2 does it for btd's machines and a lot of others, you can access it by peerctrl, right click on the machine and select show pal

It would be nice to have this in wpf though.
yes, couldn't it simply use the new "wireless" option? I understand it's not "so simply" because it isn't connected to begin with,
but using the same function visually, maybe with other background color than white, would be sumthin'
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Dean wrote:yes, couldn't it simply use the new "wireless" option? I understand it's not "so simply" because it isn't connected to begin with,
but using the same function visually, maybe with other background color than white, would be sumthin'
It's a bit more complicated then that because of the difference in programming languages between the c# stuff in the current buzz and the old c++ peer system which ran on hacks to old buzz. I think the old system of peering needs to be replaced if it was going to be able to be added to anything at all, let alone the gui. I wish it was so simple :(
Dean

Post by Dean »

mantratronic wrote:
Dean wrote:yes, couldn't it simply use the new "wireless" option? I understand it's not "so simply" because it isn't connected to begin with,
It's a bit more complicated then that because of the difference in programming languages between the c# stuff in the current buzz and the old c++ peer system which ran on hacks to old buzz. I think the old system of peering needs to be replaced if it was going to be able to be added to anything at all, let alone the gui. I wish it was so simple :(
thanks for clearing it up :)
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Dean wrote: thanks for clearing it up :)
no worries, I've been thinking it would be really nice to have that sort of interface too.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mantratronic wrote:
Dean wrote: thanks for clearing it up :)
no worries, I've been thinking it would be really nice to have that sort of interface too.
me too, but i've just had an idea. wouldnt it be good if we didn't have to maintain 2 "machine views" one for audio and the other for control signals ? what if we had control wires ? now you SHIFT-drag to connect audio right, what if you'd just CTRL-drag to make control connections. They could also be optionally hidden / wireless like the audio path.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

mantratronic wrote:It's a bit more complicated then that because of the difference in programming languages between the c# stuff in the current buzz and the old c++ peer system which ran on hacks to old buzz. I think the old system of peering needs to be replaced if it was going to be able to be added to anything at all, let alone the gui. I wish it was so simple :(
Eek - Does this mean that peer machines could potentially get killed off in future builds ?
IXix

Post by IXix »

mcbpete wrote:Eek - Does this mean that peer machines could potentially get killed off in future builds ?
I doubt they'll stop working but I expect they'll be replaced by newer C# equivalents as time passes. The C# system opens up lots of new peer-style possibilites. :geek:
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

if anything, it means peer machines will be better than ever and easier to write too (well, they already are).
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

I sure hope someone updates the code for PeerCtrl... :)
The assignment window works well, but the value remapping is a bit of a pita.

Sheesh, I wish I could do it myself :P