High CPU in new Buzz, but MUCH lower in Reaper...

vaisnava

High CPU in new Buzz, but MUCH lower in Reaper...

Post by vaisnava »

I am just curious why a synth that takes 20-30% of my CPU in New Buzz only takes about 5% in Reaper...

Buzz would be crawling on its knees at this point, but I am running 13 VST's in Reaper when I could only run about 4-5 in Buzz. Same ASIO latency and all.

My jaw has dropped. :o
UNZ

Re: High CPU in new Buzz, but MUCH lower in Reaper...

Post by UNZ »

bmx or screenshot plz
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

So I am running 1 instance of ASS Ultra-Analog in Buzz (8 voices) and 1 in Reaper (8 voices) and there is a 50% decrease in CPU usage. On my bigger projects I am running some synths that literally take 20-30% in Buzz and only a fraction in Reaper.

My FabFilter FX for instance only use fractions of a % in Reaper and at least 2-7% per instance in Buzz. Huge difference!

I know Buzz is in the developing stages, but I am hoping these will be ironed out as we go? ;)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i think this is just a difference in reporting cpu usage

multithreaded vs single threaded

do you have multithreading on in buzz ?
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

No I turned off Multi-Threading in Buzz.

2ghz core 2 duo

Sometimes though, it is so drastic... some VST synths take ~30% in Buzz but only 5% in Reaper. That blows my mind. ;)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

vaisnava wrote:No I turned off Multi-Threading in Buzz.

2ghz core 2 duo

Sometimes though, it is so drastic... some VST synths take ~30% in Buzz but only 5% in Reaper. That blows my mind. ;)
just what i thought.

obviously buzz reports cpu usage for 1 core, and reaper cpu usage for ALL cores.
which means they perform exactly the same.
ecslist

Post by ecslist »

i see you aree a real person
but unz
is are yoiu from new zealand
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

Even if I turn "on" Multi-Threading Buzz is still much higher... and I seem to be able to run twice as much stuff in Reaper than Buzz.

I mean I have never been able to run 15 high quality synths in Buzz without having to start recording to WAV... I am still running in Reaper and adding synths like NI Reaktor's Razor without a hiccup in Reaper. With my Buzz setup, this is not even possible.

i do not know what is going on, but all I know is that Reaper seems to REALLY treat my CPU well... blows my mind.

I mean the FabFilter example... I can run 1 EQ at 3.5% in Buzz or I can run 1 in Reaper at like 0.4% and that seems that more is happening than just reporting 1 core vs 2 cores, or multi-threading.
polac

Post by polac »

vaisnava wrote:Even if I turn "on" Multi-Threading Buzz is still much higher... and I seem to be able to run twice as much stuff in Reaper than Buzz.

I mean I have never been able to run 15 high quality synths in Buzz without having to start recording to WAV... I am still running in Reaper and adding synths like NI Reaktor's Razor without a hiccup in Reaper. With my Buzz setup, this is not even possible.

i do not know what is going on, but all I know is that Reaper seems to REALLY treat my CPU well... blows my mind.

I mean the FabFilter example... I can run 1 EQ at 3.5% in Buzz or I can run 1 in Reaper at like 0.4% and that seems that more is happening than just reporting 1 core vs 2 cores, or multi-threading.
Just as Unz said Buzz seems to report the cpu usage for one core(even if multithreading is enabled). Also that it performs better even with same asio settings in Reaper: I think that Reaper processes in a dedicated thread, and not like polac asio by default directly in the asio thread, with the advantage that you can do much more cpu without having clicks/dropouts in Reaper. Btw you could try to enable one of the async modes in polac asio which does something similar(don't know how well those work on win7 however, will check tomorrow).
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

Okay I will try that Async thing... if I could free up this much power in Buzz I would be in HEAVEN. :)
mute

Post by mute »

vaisnava wrote:Okay I will try that Async thing... if I could free up this much power in Buzz I would be in HEAVEN. :)
You missed the point of Polac's post that says Buzz/VST is already out performing Reaper at the same ASIO settings. You're not going to end up saving any CPU "power" in comparing, because theres nothing to be saved.

What might be possible is running some plugins in their own threads (async) and that might permit you to add one more 2 more cpu whores and still avoid some audio drop out, but you're still going to be slamming your computer's limits when you reach this point.

Also.. It was only casually brushed over, but it should be pointed out; The bit depth, sampling rate, and buffer sizes (latency) that you run your hosts at has a massive effect on performance.
bahador

Post by bahador »

No doubt the cpu usage of buzz is high and I never knew the cpu report of buzz only covers the report of one core. But enabling multithreading is indeed a breath boost for your cpu but by enabling the multithreading you may only add 3 or 4 extra machines approx. but that I believe of, the cpu usage of buzz is not related to polac or vsts cuz I have experienced the same issue with the very native generators and effects of buzz and yet you get the same result in loading more than 200 or 250 machines.

On polac drivers you have more options to choose for adjusting your driver settings. For wave I usually use Polac MME and for asio (which is deadly tough on your cpu) I use the Polac ASIO.

But at the end of the day the question remains unanswered.
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

All I know is Reaper seems to allow me to do a lot more on what I considered an outdated computer... at 48khz 24bit none the less with 512 latency, I am excited. :D

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but when I can run NI Razor without a hiccup and have 15 others running as well... it is something i could never do in Buzz on this comp, so once again... :D

I will never not love Buzz though ;)
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

500 machines should perform better in 1460.
vaisnava

Post by vaisnava »

500 native buzz machines or does this count for VSTi's also? :)
bahador

Post by bahador »

That would be awesome Oskari, I haven’t got the chance to test the new release but can’t wait to do it, I will try it today and give my reports here, thanks for considering improvements for this part.
bahador

Post by bahador »

Bad luck it did not work in my case as I’m using vst plugins for this new session and the cpu usage is 99.8% and sometimes it gets 100% and there is a new report that I’m not very familiar with by the name of Overhead which in this case my overhead is -50% and it varies. But thank you so much oskari for considering our suggestions it is highly appreciated.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

the improvement is relevant only to the gui, not audio thread. it doesn't mean you can run 500 vst realtime... (or really any machine..)
it also won't fix your denormal issues automagically...