BG Sidechain or Cheapo Amp - problems

Grids

BG Sidechain or Cheapo Amp - problems

Post by Grids »

Hi I was wondering if any of you amazing buzzers could help.

I am having serious problems with BG sidechain (or maybe Cheapo amp).
I know BG sidechain adds faint latency to the audio output and I know people recommend oppressor 3 but I just prefer BG sidechain everytime - the controls just seem to work better for me....

This is how I usually set it up
Unwieldy tracker -> Polac Out (sending kick signal out) -> BG sidechain -> Cheapo Amp (with volume turned off) -> Master

Bass Synth vsti (e.g. EVM Bassline) -> BG Sidechain - >Master

Basically the sound just keeps glitching then freezing....also sometimes the output from the BG sidechain doesn't work at all...

right now there is audio coming out of BG Sidechain- but the bass is just not ducking anymore (on tracks where it previously worked perfectly).... I have tried deleting the BG sidechains and put them in again but no luck

One thing that has seemed to work is when I get rid of the cheapo Amps (so that the BG sidechain links directly to the master) the ducking starts to work a little bit again but it's weird because the ducking is 'different' and less exaggerated than it used to be - also the ducking is slightly different on each kick (it almost sounds like their is a very faint LFO on the bass).....also I would prefer not to connect the BG sidechain (that the kick drum goes through) directly to the master as I prefer to have my kick going directly out of utracker....and not an extra kick...

I have edited the gear.xml to disable multithreading
Disabling multithreading on the entire track just seems to make the glitching worse
I intend to use utracker2 (with multiple outs to avoid Polac OUT) in future....but for now I have lots of tracks with the old unwieldy tracker.

This is such a pain because literally every track I make used BG Sidechain....
I am using Nu buzz but not one of the latest builds ( Iwill install the latest build when I get a new laptop in a few months).

I have a Core 2 Duo Laptop (HP Presario) with 2 Gig Ram running Vista 64 bit Ultimate.

Any help please?
synthphase

Re: BG Sidechain or Cheapo Amp - problems

Post by synthphase »

You could try running the sidechain through a hi-pass filter before the BG effect. There might be issues with all the BG stuff, it has stopped working for me as well once in a while.
Grids

Re: BG Sidechain or Cheapo Amp - problems

Post by Grids »

Thanks I will try it out.

As a workaround, I have gotten rid of the cheapo amp - connectected the BG sidechain to the master - turned the BG sidechain's volume very low.....
Then I tweak the BG sidechain a little....

It seems to be working okay when I do it like that.

Sometimes the audio is glitchy overall but that's probably not a fault of BG sidechain.....