tagged machines (idea)

peacemaker

tagged machines (idea)

Post by peacemaker »

I'm aware that posting ideas for Buzz might be considered spam because everyone here has a long wishlist. Anyway...

There are so many machines for Buzz now that it's hard to keep track of (not to mention the VSTs....) What if every machine could have tags attached to it? (And typing a tag in machine view would pop up a list of machines with that tag?) Typing "reverb" in machine view would not only show machines with the string "reverb" in the name, but also all machines marked with the tag "reverb".

This would combine the speed of tpying a machine's name with the ease of selecting it from the index/right-click menu.

This tag system could also be useful to mark "dangerous" or outdated machines, or whatever... Even more: machines marked "dangeorous" could be hidden from the pop-up menu (by option, just an example). I can think of a lot of situations where this feature would be handy.

What do you think?
fetus ink

Re: tagged machines (idea)

Post by fetus ink »

Right now I think your fastest and best bet would be just to download someones pre-existing index file (for right click menu). Hamst3r had a really good index available that, although needed updated over the years, works wonderfully. I have tweeked my own to be pretty up to date by this point, but I'm not home to send it to you. Basically, its sorted by generators (with sub folders for synths, drums, noise, etc) and FX (with sub folders for reverb, delay, pitch shifting, stereo tools, etc), mixing tools, and yes, even a 'dangerous/out dated' section. No need to really "hide" it, when if you want to see it, all you have to do is move your mouse over top that selection to open the folder up.

Maybe try some of the indexes available at buzzchurch.com? http://buzzmachines.com/indexsection.php

synthphase's index looks like it should be good to start with. Right click "Control Freak Index", save as, find your Jeskola>Buzz>Gear folder, rename the file "index.txt", and save.
Restart buzz if you had it running, and try the right click menu. Should be sorted out pretty well.

I always felt there was a lack of info on helping people to figure this out on their own, I see this question a lot, and I hear it a lot when I try and get new people involved with buzz. Hell even after looking myself, theres not really any instructions on how to use this indexing shit if you're new. But there are ways to even change your index manually (edit in notepad, following basic structure that is already given - I'm sure you can figure it out. Maybe.) But then again, not everyone can look at 'structure' and understand what is going on at first. You may also be 12. I dont know. Again, theres lack of info to give you any more detail right out of the basket, so I'll help. Sort of. Try using a little device called the index editor. Link is here: viewtopic.php?p=157#p157

If you want to figure out manual editing, here's a little something I put together:

Code: Select all

/Generators    <---------------------------------------- Creates a main folder, "Generators" under a rightclick and selecting "new".
 /Subtractive  <---------------------------------------- A sub folder made for Subtractive based synthesizers
  FSM Infector    <------------------------------------ This is the actual .dll name for the machine. (excluding the .dll part)
  Geonik's PrimiFun  
  ld fungus bp05, Ld Fungus  <------------------------- In this case, you see a "," separating 2 similar names.
  random machine1                                       Basically what this does is tells your right click menu to load
  random machine2, RM 2                                 "ld fungus bp05.dll", but in the menu, rename it as "Ld Fungs" for short.
  random machine3                                       By no means do you /have/ to shorten your machine names, but in some cases, it helps.
  random machine4, RM 4
  random machine5, RM 5  <---------------------------- (hopefully by now you see whats happening as we move on)
  random machine6
 /..   <------------------------------------------------ This actually ends the subfolder "Subtractive"

/Additive  <------------------------------------------  This begins the initial cycle all over again, only, its below the
  ihaveaterriblegamblingproblem, IHATGP			        "Subtractive" folder within your right click menu.
  more random funk2, MRF
  more random funk3
 /..   <---------------------------------------------- Close.

/Sample Based
  Jeskola XS-1
  Matilde Tracker2, MTrk2
  1,-----     <---------------------------------------  Something new. What this does is create a divider. Or, well a line, if you will. 
  /Samplegrid 2                                         <not sure> I believe people number them to keep things sorted, but "-----" works fine.</not sure>
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - B04, Byte 4       *** (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not testing this tonight) ***
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - B08, Byte 8
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - B16, Byte 16
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - B32, Byte 32
   -----      <------------------------------------------ A divider /within/ the "samplegrid 2" subfolder that was created. (its really all about looks) 
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - S04, Switch 4 
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - S08, Switch 8
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - S16, Switch 16
   BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - S32, Switch 32
  /..
  2,-----     <--------------------------------------- Ends initial divider. Actually it just makes a different line. It doesn't actually start or stop anything.
  11-Dray v1.0					                  
  Argüelles Pro2
  BTDSys Stutter
  BTDSys Pulsar
  HNO3 Divine Intervention, HNO3 Slicer
  /..      <----------------------------------------- closes "Sample Based" subfolder
/..        <----------------------------------------- closes "Generators" main folder

/Effects   <---------------------------------------- Begins an "Effects" folder in your main list now
 /Reverb
  randomverb1
  randomverb2, RV2
  etc
  etc
 /..

/Distortion
  dist1, D1
  dist2
  dist3
 /..
  -----

/Mastering
  Captain Seaweeds Ultimate Champion, Terrible Limiter
  compressor, COMPRESSOR IN CAPS
 /..

(get the idea?)
Also, as far as the left hand organizer, it still needs work, and its not exactly the easiest to use just yet, but I'm sure will eventually allow you to make your own folders for sorting effects and gens. Right now only folders can be made for templates (and even that is a little crude for the time being), but just give it time.

A bit tired to re-read this post. Any mistakes that may be found within this post will be fixed later. Or never. Depending on if it actually makes sense or not.
Last edited by fetus ink on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Or ... FUUUuuuuuuuck. You were talking about the search within the machine view I'm assuming. ... You know what. Fuck it. I'm leaving all of this here. *goes to bed*

(Maybe one of you can doctor that up, and repost it in the grayed out section for indexing here: http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.ph ... tomization )

Maybe add a permanent download link for the indexer software?
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

You're right - the machines are already more or less "tagged" by their position(s) in index.txt.
IXix

Post by IXix »

I like the idea of tagging. It would be faster to use and easier to manage than index.txt but it wouldn't be trivial to implement. It would need some form of database and lots of gui stuff to interface with it but it could be done by an enthusiastic C# programmer.
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

For VSTs I just put similar VSTs in the same folders. So for reverbs i have a folder called reverbs. Then I only need to type reverb for all the plugins in the folder to show up in the list. ;)
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

xenobioz wrote:For VSTs I just put similar VSTs in the same folders. So for reverbs i have a folder called reverbs. Then I only need to type reverb for all the plugins in the folder to show up in the list. ;)
:shock: Fantastic! I didn't know that. Thank you very much!
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

IXix wrote:and lots of gui stuff
....lots of GUI stuff?
IXix

Post by IXix »

peacemaker wrote:
IXix wrote:and lots of gui stuff
....lots of GUI stuff?
No, lots of gui stuff. :P
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

:lol:

btw, could the plugin api be useful with this? [note: this does not reduce the amount of gui :)]
IXix

Post by IXix »

mantratronic wrote:could the plugin api be useful with this?
Maybe but the user would definitely need a local database for when web access isn't available. Also, I'm not sure whether having a central tag database would suit most people. People may have very different ideas of what tags should be used.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

IXix wrote:
mantratronic wrote:could the plugin api be useful with this?
Maybe but the user would definitely need a local database for when web access isn't available. Also, I'm not sure whether having a central tag database would suit most people. People may have very different ideas of what tags should be used.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.