EMU 1820 microstutter on win 7

RJ1

EMU 1820 microstutter on win 7

Post by RJ1 »

Hello there,

I have moved on to win 7 with buzz and everything.On XP i was using Cool Edit Pro 2,0 and EMU 1820 , now on Win7
i get microstuttering while recording wavs. Playback seems normal,different latency settings do not seem to have affect on
the problem.

Anyone ideas how to solve this ?
onecircles

Re: EMU 1820 microstutter on win 7

Post by onecircles »

Does your computer meet the recommended system requirements for windows 7?

Some things to try, in no particular order: Record at a lower bit rate/ bit depth. Use Polac ASIO plugins where possible. Check your CPU headroom in the buzz performance monitor, if your CPU is going very high, you may have audio dropouts. On my system, if my CPU is Idling around 20% I don't get any audio pops. Update other drivers on the system, such as motherboard chipset drivers. Try an alternate, or older version of the sound card drivers, if any are available. Trim windows 7 down as much as possible. Check startup items and disable everything except what's needed. Change power setting in control panel to high performance mode. Disable CPU features like low power modes in bios. In (I think) control panel -> system -> advanced, set the OS to prioritize background services rather than foreground applications. Generally disable unused services (google them first). Uninstall antivirus and any other resource hungry software of any kind. Disable windows update.

Of course, these last two suggestions create security vulnerabilities but it's preferable for performance. I don't have any antivirus on my daw computer, but it isn't connected to the internet.