VST recording / track commands

Pekka

VST recording / track commands

Post by Pekka »

Hey everyone,

This might be really novice question but here goes: how do I record/add track commands to VST instruments or effects. For example, let's say I'm using mda RingMod VST and I want to record my "knob tweaks". If I just press record button and play and start tweaking, I can hear what happens but tweaks aren't recorded to patterns as they would be with Buzz machines. So what should I do in order to record those or alternatively write commands on patterns value by value.
Reefer Sutherland

Re: VST recording / track commands

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

In the pattern editor, it gets recorded as Track Parameter value.
You set which parameter in the VST by opening its window and go to settings.
Select the parameter you want in the Track Parameter box.
Multiple parameters can be set on different tracks.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

Thanks a lot, got it working :)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Auto Learn is a quicker/easier route than going to the settings menu. (mute, where's that tutorial vid?)
Reefer Sutherland

If it's quicker, you should be able to explain it quicker too :)
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

i went looking for that video too..

we can explain it quickly, but we can't explain it as well as mute did ;)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:If it's quicker, you should be able to explain it quicker too :)
"Learn -> Auto Learn; twiddle knobs while recording." How's that? ;)
Reefer Sutherland

Well that was easier.

I made a video of how to do it...

If there's any interest, I can do more of these...

Edit: Perhaps a separate topic, where people ask things and I, or someone else makes videos of how to do it?
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:Well that was easier.

I made a video of how to do it...

If there's any interest, I can do more of these...

Edit: Perhaps a separate topic, where people ask things and I, or someone else makes videos of how to do it?
sounds good! a playlist (or a list here or on wiki) of youtube buzz tutorials would be helpful too I think, I came across a lot I hadn't known of yesterday looking for mute's video.
Reefer Sutherland

I just need topics... Been wanting to do tutorials before, but it always fails because I can't decide on what people want to know :)
toothsoup

Post by toothsoup »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:I just need topics... Been wanting to do tutorials before, but it always fails because I can't decide on what people want to know :)
Some things that I think might be useful to new users/returning users:
  • * How to use stuff like PeerCtrl and PeerChord and IX Swing that isn't immediately connected to a machine;
    * How to import samples and use the wavetable editor;
    * How to import and use VSTs using Polac;
    * Some common ways to connect/set Buzz to read a midi keyboard;
    * Common techniques such as side chain compression (I know there's already a youtoob of this, but it's rather low quality).
That's all stuff that took me a while to figure out or that I had to do serious digging to get the answers to.

I also think that there would be a use for defining the different terms in some machines. Like Qsamo where a newbie wouldn't know what the hell 'portamento' or 'transpose' means, or what it means to combine the different waveforms. I am currently working on making a dictionary of terms as I go along and learn all this stuff (I have no idea how to make a specific sound in Qsamo, for me it's all about hitting the random button until it sounds okay) so if it ends up being complete enough to be useful I will share it.

*EDIT*
Had a quick look around youtube and compiled this channel of old tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL999AEC39CD1ED21D
Last edited by toothsoup on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Reefer Sutherland

UNZ: Ah, there's the mute-video =)

Toothsoup: I'll get on it. Will check the videos in your channel and see which have been done already, and which can be improved upon.
toothsoup

Post by toothsoup »

Reefer Sutherland wrote:UNZ: Ah, there's the mute-video =)

Toothsoup: I'll get on it. Will check the videos in your channel and see which have been done already, and which can be improved upon.

Awesome man, no pressure to spend hours on it obbviously, but for newbies videos are just a lot easier to understand than instructions.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

nice.
I wonder if it would be possible to record automation to a seperate pattern.
So you would have one pattern for notedata and one simultanoulsy for the automation parameters.
Or atleast have a spline mode for the parameters in the note-pattern.
This would make the workflow much cleaner.

Also it would be a great addition to have graphical patterns for automation where you could draw points and let them interpolate.
(see Jeskola´s sine synth)
mes

Post by mes »

[quote=
Also it would be a great addition to have graphical patterns for automation where you could draw points and let them interpolate.
(see Jeskola´s sine synth)[/quote]

yes this is a feature I want more than anything else.
Pekka

Post by Pekka »

strobotone wrote:Also it would be a great addition to have graphical patterns for automation where you could draw points and let them interpolate.
Yes, this would be absolutely fantastic feature.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

strobotone wrote:nice.
So you would have one pattern for notedata and one simultanoulsy for the automation parameters.
Not a problem. Just add another track in the sequencer, put a pattern in there and record away.
Not the same, but just to check (and put it out there for general awareness, since we're starting over again here): you about know about Pattern XP's graphical input mode (ctrl-g), yes? (for anyone trying it out for the first time, click into a column, hit ctrl-g, then hold ctrl while drawing with the mouse).
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

snowglobe wrote:Not the same, but just to check (and put it out there for general awareness, since we're starting over again here): you about know about Pattern XP's graphical input mode (ctrl-g), yes? (for anyone trying it out for the first time, click into a column, hit ctrl-g, then hold ctrl while drawing with the mouse).
I nominate pattern xp shizzles as a video!
mes

Post by mes »

snowglobe wrote:
strobotone wrote:nice.
Not a problem. Just add another track in the sequencer, put a pattern in there and record away.
Not the same, but just to check (and put it out there for general awareness, since we're starting over again here): you about know about Pattern XP's graphical input mode (ctrl-g), yes? (for anyone trying it out for the first time, click into a column, hit ctrl-g, then hold ctrl while drawing with the mouse).

yea the ctrl+g is a nice improvement...but would eventually love to see the graphical envelopes with nodes you can drag around. (like renoise or any other daw) something like a combo of peerscream and the wavetable envelopes would be perfect.