VST recording / track commands

magmavander

Re: VST recording / track commands

Post by magmavander »

toothsoup wrote: * Common techniques such as side chain compression (I know there's already a youtoob of this, but it's rather low quality).
:cry:
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

I did not know about PeerScream... Now I do.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

snowglobe wrote:
strobotone wrote:nice.
I wonder if it would be possible to record automation to a seperate pattern.
So you would have one pattern for notedata and one simultanoulsy for the automation parameters.
Not a problem. Just add another track in the sequencer, put a pattern in there and record away.
Also it would be a great addition to have graphical patterns for automation where you could draw points and let them interpolate.
(see Jeskola´s sine synth)
Not the same, but just to check (and put it out there for general awareness, since we're starting over again here): you about know about Pattern XP's graphical input mode (ctrl-g), yes? (for anyone trying it out for the first time, click into a column, hit ctrl-g, then hold ctrl while drawing with the mouse).
As far as recording automation parameters in a seperate pattern goes, i know about that and use it all the time.
But how to do it when one uses pvst´s auto learn feature? the parameters would get recorded in the note-pattern instead of the seperate one.

And yes, the graphical input mode (ctrl-g) in pattern xp is nice but imagine there was also a spline mode instead of the bars.
I know it is a question of subtiming when it comes to interpolating values using that technique. But a seperate automation window aside the pattern editor would be awesome.
Also Jeskola Sine Synth patterns are displayed graphically in the vertical sequencer.

To sum that up, i am thinking of something like an automation mode in pattern xp where you click a checkbox and the pattern is either a note-based or a parameter-based one.
so switching to parameter-based mode would display the values also as a graph in the sequencer view.
There you would have a note-pattern and a automation-pattern for the same machine.

BTW.: i tested the following in patternxp with a vst:
1) create new pattern named "notes" , displaying only the note related columns
2) create new pattern named "automation" , displaying only the parameter related columns
3) activate auto learn and record some parameter changes.

Unfortunately the parameters did not get recorderd at all since the pattern "notes" has no parameter columns displayed.
And the parameters did not get recorded in the pattern "automation" since the auto learn feature only seems to record in the patterns where the notes get triggered.

Looking forward to some ideas from your side :)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

no, it has nothing to do with "where the notes are triggered". its the way buzz handles recording:

only the left most machine-pattern (of a given machine) in the sequencer view gets recorded to. (at least thats how it was 10 years ago, but i think this is your problem) just move it to the left with CTRL-LEFT arrow in the old seq..worth a try. basically, your automation pattern would have to be left of the notes pattern in the seq i guess.

edit: i tried it and it works :)
toothsoup

Post by toothsoup »

magmavander wrote:
toothsoup wrote: * Common techniques such as side chain compression (I know there's already a youtoob of this, but it's rather low quality).
:cry:
Haha, don't cry! Not low quality content, just low quality video, obviously because that was what you could upload back then. That's how I learned how to do it, so it serves its purpose. It's just that now that Youtube has HD capability it might be time to update it is all. :)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

UNZ wrote:no, it has nothing to do with "where the notes are triggered". its the way buzz handles recording:

only the left most machine-pattern (of a given machine) in the sequencer view gets recorded to. (at least thats how it was 10 years ago, but i think this is your problem) just move it to the left with CTRL-LEFT arrow in the old seq..worth a try. basically, your automation pattern would have to be left of the notes pattern in the seq i guess.

I was just about to post this same response, and I also just tested it. (Unless you're talking about simultaneously recording notes and param tweaks??? no way, in that case).

Regarding the spline-and-node wish; yep, that would be sweet.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

snowglobe wrote:
UNZ wrote:no, it has nothing to do with "where the notes are triggered". its the way buzz handles recording:

I was just about to post this same response, and I also just tested it. (Unless you're talking about simultaneously recording notes and param tweaks??? no way, in that case).

Regarding the spline-and-node wish; yep, that would be sweet.

simultaneous recording into two different patterns of the same machine is indeed not possible iirc. a "simple" fix would probably be to have a small "arm for recording" button on each parameter column of pxp, and let buzz record into all patterns of a machine, so you can decide for yourself what goes where... maybe oskari already thought about this with the new wpf pattern editor, we'll see :)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

intersting, you were right. thanks !
the parameters get indeed recorded in the leftmost pattern of that machine in the sequencer view.
so a checkbox for just displaying note or parameter columns in patternxp would also be usefull for that purpose.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

strobotone wrote:intersting, you were right. thanks !
the parameters get indeed recorded in the leftmost pattern of that machine in the sequencer view.
so a checkbox for just displaying note or parameter columns in patternxp would also be usefull for that purpose.
you can already do this in pxp clicking the "columns" button.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

yes i already stated that i did that but it gets pretty tedious when you want to "clean up" afterwards.
since you have to go into the columns settings and check/uncheck parameters all the time.

i am looking for kinda preset which you could define as default.
for example i often use the MIDI Pitch Wheel parameter which i´d like to have displayed by default.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

ok. i am using the template function (.xml files) as a workaround.
the templates also store information about which column is displayed and which is not like this :

<Patterns>
<Pattern Name="xx" Length="xx">
<Columns>
<PatternColumn Machine="xxxxxxxx" Parameter="Argument xx" />
</Columns>
</Pattern>
</Patterns>
<CompressedPatternEditorData>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
</CompressedPatternEditorData>
(< this is where your actual pattern data and column view goes)