2013.08.29 - BETA 4a
+ Fixed broken subtick triggering when controlled by other peer machines

2013.08.14 - BETA 4
+ Fixed broken patterns when targeting other control machines
+ Fixed dialog crash if target machine was deleted then restored
+ Possibly better behaviour in templates

2011.11.25 - BETA 3
+ Converted it to PeerLib2
+ Scrapped all the MFC code so you can now compile it with VC++ Express (requires Win32++).
+ Added x64 version that probably won't work.
Last edited by IXix on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
tinga

Re: New(ish) PeerScale

Post by tinga »

The "peer me" seems to be broken :?
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:The "peer me" seems to be broken :?
:lol:
IXix

Post by IXix »

Fixed now. Sorry, should've tested before uploading. :oops:
tinga

Post by tinga »

Cool, it works now.
in x64, no sound but a normal signal in master's vu meter :?:
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:in x64, no sound but a normal signal in master's vu meter :?:
Your guess is as good as mine. :?:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Just tried the x86 version. Works great. But how do you do a note-off?
And how do you do chords?
thOke

Post by thOke »

Joachip wrote:Just tried the x86 version. Works great. But how do you do a note-off?
And how do you do chords?
assign it to peerchord and peerchord to a synth
tinga

Post by tinga »

Joachip wrote:But how do you do a note-off?
That's the point, there is no note off...

a simple test (with peerchord)
Some notes about the PeerScale PeerChord triggering, as 80% of music is based on chords and specialy the harmonisation of major and minor scales, this chain is very useful
For major scale the seven degrees give that: IM7 IIm7 IIIm7 IVM7 V7 VIm7 VIIm7b5, and with peerchord we have also 9, sus4, 11, 6, and 13, all scales harmonisations are automatised with PeerScale PeerChord triggering

in Peerscale, major scale is preset 184 (183 to 189 for the seven modes of the major scale) 202 for harmonic minor, 201 for melodic minor, 275 for lydian dominant (4th mode of melodic minor)
They are the most useful scales for western music, most of the other scales generate tons of diminished chords, but many scales give amazing chords progressions (raga is the correct name for scale if we respect history of western music, indian music is our roots) .
IXix

Post by IXix »

Joachip wrote:how do you do a note-off?
I had a look at implementing note-off but it's not as easy as you might think (no surprise there, btd would've done it himself.) I can't remember exactly why it's complicated though. :oops:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

IXix wrote:
Joachip wrote:how do you do a note-off?
I had a look at implementing note-off but it's not as easy as you might think (no surprise there, btd would've done it himself.) I can't remember exactly why it's complicated though. :oops:
I wasn't happy with peerscale not doing note-offs, so I rolled my own in pybuzz. The complication arises from the fact that any given 'triggering' note-on message will be translated by the peerscale machine into some (likely different) note-on message that actually gets transmitted to the peered machine(s). So it won't do to simply relay a note-off from the trigger (since you'd be trying to silence a note that probably isn't even sounding, while the actual output note continues merrily along). So what's wanted is a system for managing trigger:output pairs.

** dictionary of input:output pairs **
self.now_playing = { trigger_1: output_note, trigger_2: output_note, ..., trigger_n: output_note}

** For a triggering note-on message, you define: **
self.now_playing[trigger_note] = output_note

** For a note_off message corresponding to a given trigger, you retrieve the note that was actually transmitted: **
output_note = self.now_playing[trigger_note] (and then delete self.now_playing[trigger_note] from the dictionary/array)
thOke

Post by thOke »

IXix wrote:
tinga wrote:The "peer me" seems to be broken :?
Fixed now...
the "peer me" still does not trigger notes from values in the pattern editor
(neither from built-in nor pattern xp). it works when i move the slider though.
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:the "peer me" still does not trigger notes from values in the pattern editor
(neither from built-in nor pattern xp). it works when i move the slider though.
That's weird. I can't think why there would be any difference between the two. I'll have a look.
IXix

Post by IXix »

It works here in all editors, unless you mean that it doesn't trigger when you enter a value into the column. AFAIK it's never done that but I could make it so if that's what people want (it's a trivial job).
thOke

Post by thOke »

IXix wrote:... unless you mean that it doesn't trigger when you enter a value into the column.
yes, that's what i mean, kind of. i realized values in the 'peer me' column actually do trigger notes, if i assign peerscale to a synth directly.
it does not trigger notes when i assign peerscale to peerchord and peerchord to a synth. that works with BTDSys PeerScale 060710.

i hope it's clear what i mean. otherwise i will make an example file.

thanks for looking into it.
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:i realized values in the 'peer me' column actually do trigger notes, if i assign peerscale to a synth directly.
it does not trigger notes when i assign peerscale to peerchord and peerchord to a synth. that works with BTDSys PeerScale 060710.
Ah okay, I'll hook it up to peerchord and see what happens. Thanks for letting me know.
IXix

Post by IXix »

That's weird. I really have no idea why this is happening. Why on earth would it work from the slider but not from the patterns?

Must be something I've done but I'm damned if I know what. I'll fix it as soon as I can figure out what's broken.
IXix

Post by IXix »

I haven't forgotten this but I still have no idea why it's happening. It just doesn't any make sense! Exactly the same thing happens when you move the slider by hand as when it gets changed by a pattern, there's absolutely no difference at all but it just doesn't work. :evil:

Until I can figure out what the hell is going wrong, I suggest you revert to the last version that btd released, (060710) which is still available here.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Same thing here, works fine from pattern editor if trigged on synth, but not with peer chord.
i notice also a good thing, notes can change now with subtick :D , (with peer scream for example)
IXix

Re: PeerScale - Updated 14th August 2013

Post by IXix »

Update bump. :)