Ableton style Clip Launcher [WANT!]

IXix

Re: Ableton style Clip Launcher [WANT!]

Post by IXix »

Live is cool. How about ctrl/shift/alt/double/right/whatever-click on the pattern boxes to open up that pattern in the editor?
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

this is a lot of fun. :D gonna have to rename a lot of patterns though as 90% of my files are just full of "00 1.break" rather then "c7 break" :oops:

oskari: can we mirror the code somewhere to play around with ideas for key strokes etc? or maybe putting it in the sequencer view as an option or something? Would have to be open online etc, but could take multiple forks so as not to be Jeskola unless you want something in.

IXix: fancy it?
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Really like the look of this. I have been using a laptop with reaper to play live even though most of the songs are made in buzz. Because everything is on one screen in Reaper. If live had a basic channel strip volume mute solo and pan which got added at the bottom of the new clip i would be a total convert.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mantratronic wrote:this is a lot of fun. :D gonna have to rename a lot of patterns though as 90% of my files are just full of "00 1.break" rather then "c7 break" :oops:
yeah, imho the idea to use pattern's names to decide which play together is not a good one. It doesn't make sense since live is supposed to be a quick arrangement view and you don't want to go into every pattern and change its name. Also its not possible to have the same pattern in multiple slots right now. You want to freely drag the patterns around in the grid and also have copy / paste so you can use THE SAME pattern number twice or many times in different rows, just look at how ableton live does it. The coupling to pattern names should be removed entirely. You have to be able to manualy choose which machine-pattern plays in each slot / row of the grid.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

nikto

Post by nikto »

UNZ wrote:the idea to use pattern's names to decide which play together is not a good one
I'd say it does make sense, only it suggests a different workaround. Like, for instance, you have three 'fields' in a pattern name, separated by a hyphen. AA-BB-CC.
You assign a midi key to launch, say, all AA, or all BB patterns to play together.

It's just a way to organize your patterns for quick group selection\launch. Also could be fun for syntax-based peercontrollers, like kodreamimprov.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

this is quite intriguing if for no other reason then all of my friends who use ableton cant talk shit at all anymore (not that they really had a leg to stand on in the first place ) Im tempted to install this on my work computer just ot play around with it .. Personally I think it will be cool for breakdowns once the midi trigger implementation happens .

so I went ahead and installed this on my work computer and I can tell its going to be some fun once the midi stuff gets going on it . once again many thanks .
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

nikto wrote:
UNZ wrote:the idea to use pattern's names to decide which play together is not a good one
I'd say it does make sense, only it suggests a different workaround. Like, for instance, you have three 'fields' in a pattern name, separated by a hyphen. AA-BB-CC.
You assign a midi key to launch, say, all AA, or all BB patterns to play together.

It's just a way to organize your patterns for quick group selection\launch. Also could be fun for syntax-based peercontrollers, like kodreamimprov.
No it still doesn't make sense since it doesn't allow you to reuse a given pattern multiple times. It goes against both ableton and buzz's philosophie (we could go back to the oldschool pattern-order-list, would be just as bad...). You cannot quickly arrange a bunch of patterns in jeskola live right now and trigger different rows containing (some of the same) patterns, which is missing the whole point of the machine imho. It's a fixed, static grid right now, not very suitable for live (and especially) jamming purposes.
Sorry... but looking at ableton live for just 15 minutes makes you realize why this is not how you want it to be. Or look at buzz's normal sequencer: it would be insane if the name mattered there and you could only use every pattern ONE time in the sequence. The name should be just that, a name, and nothing else.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

I agree there are better ways to implement it, this is just a machine that demonstrates the new functionality. You can fork the code and do whatever you want with it.
Grids

Post by Grids »

Hey guys,

This machine is amazing and takes buzz into a new world of live usage joy-ness....

It appears that this will leave live jump hack aside...(a great machine that I have loved)

I'd love the option to start each loop to play only once it is clicked in live view

At present the live view moves onto the next section in the sequencer view once it finishes a loop (rather than looping continuously)
I'd love the option for it to loop each clip until a new clip/loop was selected.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

At present the live view moves onto the next section in the sequencer view once it finishes a loop (rather than looping continuously)
I'd love the option for it to loop each clip until a new clip/loop was selected.
yeah thats what I was kind of thinking for breakdowns n what not as well . not being a dev however i dont really have much input outside of "oh this is cool as a breakcore monkey id like to use it like ___ " I still think that all the features that Buzz has that ableton doesnt makes it a far far superior program for what I like to do .. and I play live constantly .
vinnie pine

Post by vinnie pine »

If no patterns are listed in the sequencer view live will llop the selected pattern ad infinitum, launching the next clip aonly when selected.
Grids

Post by Grids »

Great!
Thanks for the info...