dark theme listbox performance fix

oskari
Site Admin

dark theme listbox performance fix

Post by oskari »

If you based your theme on my dark theme templates, see the changes in buzzgui revision 168.
mcbpete

Re: dark theme listbox performance fix

Post by mcbpete »

I have and I will. Thanks man :)

EDIT: Realised I'm not too sure what I'm looking for as I'm an idiot (is it something regarding the namespaces in MVResources.xaml that call this - http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui/BuzzGUI. ... ineList.cs ? )
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

See the svn log.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Apologies for my stupidity, where are the svn logs stored ( I've had a root around http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui/ to no avail so I'm guessing they're somewhere else )
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Get TortoiseSVN or something.
IXix

Post by IXix »

mcbpete wrote:Apologies for my stupidity, where are the svn logs stored ( I've had a root around http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui/ to no avail so I'm guessing they're somewhere else )
You need to keep a local copy of the repo using a SVN client (I use TortoiseSVN). Then when you sync your local copy to the remote BuzzGUI repo, it tells you what changed in the new versions.

If you install TortoisSVN, you just right-click in windows explorer and choose "SVN Checkout" then put http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui in the "URL of repository" field and hit OK.

I'm not very good at SVN so there may be a better/easier way :oops:

edit: Oh and to update your repo, right-click the repo folder and select "SVN Update"
IXix

Post by IXix »

To see the logs, right-click the repo folder and select "Show log" from the TortoiseSVN submenu :)

mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Gotcha, thanks for the detailed explanation man :)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

many thanks man ! that fixed it.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Oh boy yeah the improvement is incredible - the machine menu list now instant !

EDIT: Yay and the code I had for a semi transparent machine list menu that was on a (what I thought) permanent <!-- --> has now been reinstated with no apparent slowdown in performance. I'm a happy panda :D
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

You lucky ones,
just can not figure out, where to put that ListBoxDark.xaml to have the performance advantage in my own theme.
Do I have put it as an xaml-document on its own somewhere or do I have to integrate it in another xaml?

Or is this ths complete wrong way?

Confused Klangkulisse
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Download ListBoxDark.xaml and ListViewDark.xaml (from http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui/BuzzGUI. ... pleStyles/ ) and put them in the same folder as the theme you're using

Open Controls.xaml and in the lines near the top change the two lines

Code: Select all

<ResourceDictionary Source="pack://application:,,,/BuzzGUI.Common;component/SimpleStyles/ListBoxDark.xaml"/>
<ResourceDictionary Source="pack://application:,,,/BuzzGUI.Common;component/SimpleStyles/ListViewDark.xaml"/>
to

Code: Select all

<ResourceDictionary Source="ListBoxDark.xaml"/>
<ResourceDictionary Source="ListViewDark.xaml"/>
It might not need both, but I did it just to be safe !

Save, Load up buzz and all should be good :D
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

Also you could download the entire BuzzGUI project from the SVN and rebuild the DLLs.
Or you wait until the next build release.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

True, though the above method is considerably easier and available to use today :D
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Ah, o.k. that's the way • thanks a lot.
But it does not speed it up very much, I think it's because of my really big vst collection.

I once mentioned the size of this vst folder on good old buzz church regarding a quiet similiar list problem and afterwords I was a little ashamed, because I did not want to show off. :oops:
I collected them over a decade now just for fun and documentation, I named it the vst graveyard, because it contains a lot of ugly zombies and coldblooded undeads. So may be yes, that is the real brake.

Thanks again for the hint. :)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

it has to be significantly faster. even with a huge load of pugins. (atleast that is so in my case).
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah on mine it reduced the time for the 'menu typing menu' to appear from 2-3 seconds down to virtually instantly (and I have faaaaar too many machines in my machines and VST folder)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hmm ...?
With my previous non-patched theme it takes about 5 seconds, with your help patched theme it takes the same time.
But may be there is something wrong with my theme, because it is a mixture of dark theme and yours - strobotones. I think, there are some - in my theme unactive - code fragments of xd simplon left over. (If I remember correctly, I had a problem with your highlighting frame edges, when you hover over a machine, and somehow I managed to make this part inactive, because deleting it made my theme crash)
Anyway, my theme works besides ot the list showing up delay fine so far, may be it will be solved with the next buzz relesase.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thanks Oskari, the new build 1481 fixed it, list of (my) dark theme prompts immediatly now.
It's just nicer. :)