Visualization plugin PoC

wde

Visualization plugin PoC

Post by wde »

Hi all,

I made some proof of concept tests and managed to create an effect that loads and displays Milkdrop2 visualizations. What works:

- Load milkdrop2 and display visualization in a separate window (doesn't chrash all the time)
- Stream audio from effect input to milkdrop2
- Effect parameter that can be used to change visualization effect in a song

My expertiese ends here, so anyone want to help? Following issues need to be resolved:

1. Right click context menu does not show settings, presets etc and those should be there. This might be related to the fact that no preset modules are available via API calls. Might be change in Visual Studio versions, since examples in http://www.cubesol.com/Files/BASS_SFX.zip bin folder work (apparently compiled with VS 2005) but when you compile the C# example with Visual C# Express 2010 and copy it to BASS_SFX\Bin it behaves differently.

Might be related to this? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 625e3d22fe

2. Code uses Bass lib to init the audio stream, but it requires audio device output. Some dummy output selection functionality needed so that the lib doesn't produce any sound (see public void InitBass(). Try to change the first param if you have crashes)

3. Multiple instances of these would be nice, but additional instances create a crash currently.

Install instructions:
1. Copy plugins folder from BASS_SFX\Bin and all that it contains to ...\Jeskola\Buzz
2. Copy bass.dll and bass_sfx.dll from BASS_SFX\Bin to gear\effects
3. Build and copy Souvi.dll to gear\effects

Source:
Souvi Buzz effect src
BASS_SFX v2.4.2.1

strobotone

Re: Visualization plugin PoC

Post by strobotone »

supporting mildrop presets is amazing!
ags

Post by ags »

This is cool. Would the same kind of thing be possible on AVS as well?
Might be harder since it doesn't even work in the latest winamp, but it still works in XMPlay and so on.

I have a patch in vvvv that captures AVS outputs and adds extra effects and mixing, would be cool to do it with AVS direct in buzz instead of routing buzz-[audio]->xmplay-[avs frame]->vvvv
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

vvvv eats both MIDI and audio... Problem solved? :)
Why bother with AVS?
ags

Post by ags »

Recycling ;)
Dean

Post by Dean »

This seems very interesting... however, I'm curious about this step:

"3. Build and copy Souvi.dll to gear\effects"

Build? Why wasn't the already built file included? I don't know how to build this...

I tried to get this to work without Souvi, but alas the other dlls won't work in Buzz...
Could you try to explain to a newbee in this area what do I need to get this to work?
Dean

Post by Dean »

bump this topic
wde

Post by wde »

Dean wrote:This seems very interesting... however, I'm curious about this step:

Build? Why wasn't the already built file included? I don't know how to build this...
Sorry Dean, didn't see your reply earlier.

The visualization concept is highly experimental and intended to those who are interested to help to make this happen. If you feel a bit adventurous, you can try to replace step 3 with: "Copy Souvi.NET.dll from \Souvi\Souvi\obj\x86\Release to Gear\Effects"
Dean

Post by Dean »

wde wrote:
Dean wrote:This seems very interesting... however, I'm curious about this step:

Sorry Dean, didn't see your reply earlier.

The visualization concept is highly experimental and intended to those who are interested to help to make this happen. If you feel a bit adventurous, you can try to replace step 3 with: "Copy Souvi.NET.dll from \Souvi\Souvi\obj\x86\Release to Gear\Effects"
thanks for your reply, I am interested in trying this thing out, but I don't even know what is a milkdrop.
I have followed steps above, is there anything else I should do?
When I try to load souvi into the machines view I get the message "GetProcAdress(C:\Program Files\Blabla) failed."
No smiley or emoticon, in just plain text. (blabla is just me shortening the full adress, which leads up to the buzz effects folder).
do you have a clue of what this means, and what I can do to fix it?
mes

Post by mes »

Amazing!! :o Milkdrop is a visualization plugin for winamp that changes to the beat of music. I'd also love to see vector style graphics like what Reaktor does. :D