Pattern XP mod

Klangkulisse

Re: Pattern XP mod

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hi chahur, thanks again for your work.

Playing around with build in pattern and your modified Pattern XP I became aware of a interesting characteristic I have not noticed before – first I thought it was a bug in your modification, but – I suppose – it was allway like this since Pattern XP (original) appeared:

Using build in editor, entering a value in a pattern, switching to Pattern XP, value will not appear. Switching back to build in editor, value – of course – appears. Saving file, switching to Pattern XP, value will not appear. Yot have to close the file first after saving and open it again before a value that was entered in build in editor is shown in Pattern XP too. But – and this confused me for a while – if you save a file using Pattern XP editor, opening the file again (in Pattern XP mode) the values – of course – are shown, switching now to build in editor, the values will not appear. I suppose it was allways that way when Pattern XP (original) was implemented to buzz. In the past I switched all (older) tracks made with build in editor (before the appearence of Pattern XP) to Pattern XP and never went back to build in editor and therefor had no idea until now.

So for all like me, who did not know (may be no one besides me):
Saving values in build in editor – values will also be there in Pattern XP!
Saving values in Pattern XP – no values in build in editor, only in Pattern XP!

Could be a mess: Building a pattern in Pattern XP, save it, switching to (empty) build in editor, saving again by accident or while closing the file and following the prompted "save changes to 123.bmx?" – pattern is lost.
chahur

Post by chahur »

I am in the process of adding a Toolbar in PatternXP (to replace the actual button bar).
Everything is fine except that I can't make the tooltips work.
After some search, it seems to be related to the fact that patternXP is in a DLL and the DLL doesn't own the message pump.
So the TTN_NEEDTEXT message is not sent to my window.
Question for Oskari : as you started yourself to implement the toolbar and add tooltips for the columns and font buttons, did you get to the point of showing them ?
Any help would be welcome.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

chahur wrote: Question for Oskari : as you started yourself to implement the toolbar and add tooltips for the columns and font buttons, did you get to the point of showing them ?
Any help would be welcome.
I don't remember but I don't think so.
mute

Post by mute »

chahur, have you tried a hook? i did a quick google search and bumped into this (3rd response):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ... ing-in-dll
chahur

Post by chahur »

mute wrote:chahur, have you tried a hook? i did a quick google search and bumped into this (3rd response):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums ... ing-in-dll
Thanks for the tip.
I finally succeed to make the tips show, but it was a long struggle :-)
chahur

Post by chahur »

Added :
Toolbar
If anyone want to draw better bitmaps, you can get the toolbar bitmap here.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Could you possibly keep the previous version available for download also? I honestly much preferred the plain text buttons, either way thanks for the awesome work though!!
Last edited by esp81 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hello chahur,
I tried your alternate PXPmod2, but I get a lot of crashes, especially when switching between PXP (original) and PXPmod2.
It makes no difference, if I use my theme or the default theme.

Did I get it right, that I need to put your proposed gear.xml besides to the existing gear_defaults.xml in the Gear folder?
I created the gear.xml with the plain windows text editor.

The non-alternate version PXPmod works fine.
chahur

Post by chahur »

esp81 wrote:Could you possibly keep the previous version available for download also? I honestly much preferred the plain text buttons, either way thanks for the awesome work though!!
I don't have the previous version ... I go and go without looking back :-)
I can keep the two possibilities (button or toolbar) in the same dll and have a parameter to choose the one you want.
I'll do it next time.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:Hello chahur,
I tried your alternate PXPmod2, but I get a lot of crashes, especially when switching between PXP (original) and PXPmod2.
It makes no difference, if I use my theme or the default theme.

The non-alternate version PXPmod works fine.
I don't use the alternate, I just compile it, but I don't understand why it would behave differently from the other version. There is no differences between them. Maybe it's relative to the switching between the default and the mod versions. I will try it.
Did I get it right, that I need to put your proposed gear.xml besides to the existing gear_defaults.xml in the Gear folder?
I created the gear.xml with the plain windows text editor.
Yes.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Added :
Now you can choose the new toolbar or the old button bar.
esp81 wrote:Could you possibly keep the previous version available for download also? I honestly much preferred the plain text buttons, either way thanks for the awesome work though!!
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Damn you're fast! It's working great here, thanks. If only the rest of Buzz could be updated this quickly! lol
chahur

Post by chahur »

Added :
Humanize selection : the selection is randomized using a delta parameter [0..100].
Shortcut : Ctrl+Shift+R
esp81

Post by esp81 »

New version working perfectly here, these new features really do improve Buzz workflow 100%!! :dance:
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

New cool feature – thanks again for your effort.

My first try of the new humanization feature was on a simple base drum pattern with FSM Kick, having 16 rows with a volume value of 60 on row 0, 4, 8 and 12. I selected all rows from 0–15 and pressed the humanization key. Result: now I have in every single row from 0–15 a (humanized) value, a pattern with now 16 volume values (and triggers).

So the rows with no values were interpreted as value 0, my intention was to humanize only the 4 original values.
May be that could be an improvement: Having the choice either to leave rows empty where there are no values or fill empty rows too.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:New cool feature – thanks again for your effort.

My first try of the new humanization feature was on a simple base drum pattern with FSM Kick, having 16 rows with a volume value of 60 on row 0, 4, 8 and 12. I selected all rows from 0–15 and pressed the humanization key. Result: now I have in every single row from 0–15 a (humanized) value, a pattern with now 16 volume values (and triggers).

So the rows with no values were interpreted as value 0, my intention was to humanize only the 4 original values.
May be that could be an improvement: Having the choice either to leave rows empty where there are no values or fill empty rows too.
The row with no value are interpreted as having the last known value (60 in your example). It's also what Buzz does.
If there is no previous value in the pattern, the row is left empty. (I can't know what is the previous value when playing the song).
This was the first reason I thought humanization in pattern would never be satisfactory.
I can add the choice to leave empty rows as they are.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Added :
Humanization of empty rows is optional.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thanks a lot for adding the empty row feature, works perfect.
Feels good, that there is a development in buzz again – never mind, oskari ;)
Thanks again chahur.
mute

Post by mute »

in a similar-ish pattern tool for the old editor/old buzz called buzzscript, there were a couple things I've always missed.. such as half time/double time which would essentially double or halve the spacing of the tracks.

so this..

C-4 .. (0)
C-4 .. (2)
C-5 .. (3)
would become

C-4 .. (0)
C-4 (4)
C5 .. (6)

and vice-versa.

seeing humanization pop up made me remember this.
ags

Post by ags »

He already added expand pattern :)
(and shrink which changes the rows per beat)