SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:I've managed to crash Buzz by right clicking in the grey rectangle area next to the red X in the scale menu of scalewalker...not a huge concern, but I thought you should know.
Fixed.
Also, clicking to open the scale menu is also causing a different scale to be selected...so when I click the menu to change scale, it immediately sets to melodic minor.
popup is now shunted off to the side a bit to prevent this from happening.
tinga

Post by tinga »

esp81 wrote:I think it's probably the most powerful Buzz generator created yet!
That also my opinion, more I use it and more i realize the incredible versatility of this machine, chords, arpeggios, scales, harmonic progressions, poly-rhythm, multiple random/probability options, great stability, this multidimensional sequencer seems to be a living thing, I keep this beta, and give it number, it works fine, of course I wait also with delight the future versions.
It's not SciFi, ScaleWalker is now on earth.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Fantastic machine, the best sequencer i never used, question about the duration of a beat, what is the limit, it seems to be very high, and how many "Event Response Rule" on a row?
The "scale provider" param is not stored in the bmx, painful if we have 50 scale walkers to reassign.
An "Event Response Rule" with velocity?
These bmx use also for 2 of them a renamed scale walker1, in the zip, but maybe if we want to keep a beta, we have also to keep SnowglobeCore.
One detail, notes in change the row, ok, but all CC too, there is probably a way to have just the notes to do that, but I don't looking for. (I speek about using Scale Walker with a midi keyboard)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:question about the duration of a beat, what is the limit, it seems to be very high, and how many "Event Response Rule" on a row?
So, to clarify, the duration of a beat is determined by your BPM setting. Duration component of the TimeSpec can be any number of beats. Likewise, there is no limit to the number of Rules you can have in a Row.
The "scale provider" param is not stored in the bmx, painful if we have 50 scale walkers to reassign.
I'll put this at the top of the TODO (just started a new job, though, so ...)
An "Event Response Rule" with velocity?
Please tell me more about what you're thinking (possibly it is something I was thinking of making an option for every Rule).
These bmx use also for 2 of them a renamed scale walker1, in the zip, but maybe if we want to keep a beta, we have also to keep SnowglobeCore.
Very good point - you would probably have to swap SnowglobeCore files when switching between versions. Ugh.
One detail, notes in change the row, ok, but all CC too, there is probably a way to have just the notes to do that, but I don't looking for. (I speek about using Scale Walker with a midi keyboard)
ohhhh. no, there isn't an option to turn that off, but i think i will disable activation by cc (for now).
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:Please tell me more about what you're thinking (possibly it is something I was thinking of making an option for every Rule).
For every rule, yes it will be very cool, accent = Groove, and with your beat system we can have many subtil delay stuff, i think also about another thing, when Lucky is in multi tracks (in event response rule), input velocity doesn't have any effect, fortunately, IX split can solve this. Is it possible to have a (adjustable) mixed velocity like in Jeskola Arpeggiator.
There is a bug small with the "Hush" button if I use the iLKke machines extended theme, the first time I open the machine, I get an (long) error message about a mysterious button, and I suspect "Hush", it has not the same look than "Hold".
Fascinating machine, it's also relativion, maybe a solution for something I try to resolve with raga, the ascending and descending modes, a raga is always two scale, Scale Walker could be the machine to do that.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:input velocity doesn't have any effect, fortunately, IX split can solve this.
well, hm. MIDI out velocity should be the same as MIDI in velocity (plus any offset). Working as intended as far as i can tell.
Is it possible to have a (adjustable) mixed velocity like in Jeskola Arpeggiator.
I see the 'Velocity Mix' param there; interesting. How is that supposed to work?
Fascinating machine, it's also relativion, maybe a solution for something I try to resolve with raga, the ascending and descending modes, a raga is always two scale, Scale Walker could be the machine to do that.
Every time I think about re-working the scale system to allow for ascending-descending modes I always end up at 'oh, heck no'. :mrgreen: (I'll be curious to see what you come up with as a work around :) ).
There is a bug small with the "Hush" button if I use the iLKke machines extended theme, the first time I open the machine, I get an (long) error message about a mysterious button, and I suspect "Hush", it has not the same look than "Hold".
I think this is sorted now. Also, scale provider is now saved, and cc input is simply ignored (for the time being).
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote: well, hm. MIDI out velocity should be the same as MIDI in velocity (plus any offset). Working as intended as far as i can tell.
I was just talking about tracks in the event response rule, in the bmx zip, see "oat_try_steve", if i erase IX split, there is no velocity from my midi keyboard.
If i want velocity, it needs one Lucky by synth, of course it's not a problem, the machine is 0,1 cpu.
But yes, input velocity works fine, and it's so nice to play many synths with one finger, oh, about velocity, a negative value like in IX Split would be funny, anyway split do that, and we have to use it for none midi machines.
For raga , my first idea is to have the ascending scale with positive values like a normal scale, and to do what you do with inverse chromatic (when you write chords in chromatic mode and after you turn in inverse chromatic, very interesting results) for the descending mode I will use an inverse scale with negative value, IX Accumulator will alternate between the 2 scales, by this way i keep the same melodic process in the sequencer, I just change the direction, very coherent musically.
Maybe you want to add a scale sequencer, dorian phrygian mixo dorian... and we turn crazy, (hum, there is no smiley for schizophrenic) :|
Snowglobe wrote:I see the 'Velocity Mix' param there; interesting. How is that supposed to work?
It just mixes the 2 sources of velocity, the velocity from the keyboard and the velocity of arpeggiator, you can have one or the other, or a sweet mix between both.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote: in the bmx zip, see "oat_try_steve"
I would like to look at this. Now if only I could find the bmx zip ;)
a negative value like in IX Split would be funny
What happens with a negative velocity value?
For raga , my first idea is to have the ascending scale with positive values like a normal scale, and to do what you do with inverse chromatic (when you write chords in chromatic mode and after you turn in inverse chromatic, very interesting results) for the descending mode I will use an inverse scale with negative value, IX Accumulator will alternate between the 2 scales
I think I follow ... somewhat (possible also to do some accumulator-ish things with ScaleWalker using sequential mode, as I guess you probably already realized).
Maybe you want to add a scale sequencer, dorian phrygian mixo dorian..
I don't know if it is the same as what you are hinting at, but I was thinking of adding a Sequencer rule -- kind of like an Arp rule, except that it would advance from step to step with each new activation. But then I decided that would basically just be re-inventing sequential mode.
It just mixes the 2 sources of velocity, the velocity from the keyboard and the velocity of arpeggiator, you can have one or the other, or a sweet mix between both.
Interesting. I'll have to play around with it.
IXix

Post by IXix »

snowglobe wrote:What happens with a negative velocity value?
It does this...

Code: Select all

// Scale
float v = (float)((velocity - 1) * (abs(vScale) * 0.01f)) / (float)0x7E;

// Invert
if(vScale < 0)
	v = 1.0f - v;

int minVal = GetMinVal(P2);
int maxVal = GetMaxVal(P2);

// Calculate
int val = int((maxVal - minVal) * v) + minVal;

// Clamp
val = min(maxVal, max(val, minVal));

// Fire
ControlChange_Immediate(P2, track, val);
velocity is the actual input note velocity (1 to 128), vScale is the scaling value from the GUI (-100 to 100) and v is the final multiplier (0.0 to 1.0) used to work out the value for the target parameter.

The harder you play, the lower the value.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote: Maybe you want to add a scale sequencer, dorian phrygian mixo dorian... and we turn crazy, (hum, there is no smiley for schizophrenic) :|
new option when right-clicking a rule: "Convert to Scale Rule"

you can easily make a scale sequencer, or do random stuff - for example, have the scale and/or tonic possibly change every eight beats

Edit: Another example with the scale changing in chained rows
tinga

Post by tinga »

snowglobe wrote:new option when right-clicking a rule: "Convert to Scale Rule"
Great, we have now a super tonal machine, and this new option give me an idea, PeerState, Accumulator, PeerScale and Split are also midi and could be triggered by midi note, I have to try it :twisted:
All the minor bugs are dead now. Amazing stuff.
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:this new option give me an idea, PeerState, Accumulator, PeerScale and Split are also midi and could be triggered by midi note, I have to try it :twisted:
You fool! You'll destroy us all! :lol:
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

tinga wrote:
snowglobe wrote:new option when right-clicking a rule: "Convert to Scale Rule"
Great, we have now a super tonal machine, and this new option give me an idea, PeerState, Accumulator, PeerScale and Split are also midi and could be triggered by midi note, I have to try it :twisted:
All the minor bugs are dead now. Amazing stuff.
Please upload your experiments on your youtubechannel!!! <3 <3 <3
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:Please upload your experiments on your youtubechannel!!! <3 <3 <3
and/or link us a bmx or two :ugeek:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

ScaleWalker + Snowglobe Core bugfix update (nastiest one being that Scale Rules in saved-reloaded songs would tend to crash ScaleWalker if triggered before GUI was opened)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

ScaleWalker Update: program change and cc rules and utilities (also, save set to disk and import set from disk)

demo vid for program change and cc rules / utilities
tinga

Post by tinga »

Great update, Lucky Scale Walker can rule everything now, leap motion+scale walker is an awesome instrument, yes I will post many template and video, I can begin to make music now, keyboards was for me a sort regress for electronic music, the beginning was more creative with Theremin or Martenot, of course now many fantastic ideas around the world, but the instrument perfectly designed for electro doesn't exist (just my opinion), and Buzz is the best software for a new approach.
The save/load option is very useful, I don't ask for it because I was certain that you put it.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

tinga wrote:yes I will post many template and video
This is very interesting to me as I will buy one Leap Motion this week :dance: :dance: :dance:
And yes, Lucky is a good name because we buzzers are very lucky to have such great machine!!
tinga

Post by tinga »

I just downloaded the new version, but didn't see any change in the gui, and nothing about legato/staccato (great idea), did i miss something?