SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:I'm having a strange problem with scalewalker, I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm just not using it properly. If I trigger a sequence of notes before the previous sequence has finished the notes are overlapping, I thought this was what the cut mode was for, but it doesn't seem to be working?

Are you 100% sure you have the very latest release? There was a cut mode bug that got introduced recently, but should be fixed in latest.
It also seems to occasionally drop a note or add a "note-off" when a sequence of note rules in a row all have the same offset value. I don't seem to remember this happening in previous versions.
Hmm. After checking to make sure you have the latest release, if you can reproduce this in a bmx let me know.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Okay I checked and made sure I'm using the latest version. The note dropping problem seems to only happen when using vst plugins, it's working perfectly with buzz generators. I still can't get the note cut to work though.
tinga

Post by tinga »

When I use ScaleWalker with my midi keyboard, there is no velocity input, of course i can use IXsplit, and I have velocity, did I miss something?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 - bmx?
tinga - yeah, looks like I made some change somewhere along the line that disabled velocity out = in option. I've put it on my TODO to fix that, but not sure how soon I'll get to it because life has gotten a lot busier for me lately.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i found a bug:
scalewalker seems to only work correctly with QWERTY keyboards.
on my keyboard Z and Y are switched (swiss / german), so scalewalker plays a C-3 when i press Z, and a A-4 when i press Y (which is correct, but since the keys are switched...).
please make it work on QWERTZ intstead of QWERTY (and whatever else) too.

i know i could "fix" this in the QWETRTY manager, but as that picture already tells me, scalewalker doesn't seem to know about anything else than QWERTY. Anyway, it should work by default and give me a QWERTZ manager actually (with the pic and all corresponding to the actual real keyboard language). it would also be very annoying to have to do this every time i use a new scalewalker instance and its really not the right place to deal with this imho.

actually the pic and all would only be a gimmick and nice to have, but can't you read the keycodes before translation to chars and use those so that it works on whatever language ? this is the important part, buzz manages to do that too.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

another bug:
the labels for duration beats and delay beats are switched!
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

UNZ wrote: actually the pic and all would only be a gimmick and nice to have, but can't you read the keycodes before translation to chars and use those so that it works on whatever language ? this is the important part, buzz manages to do that too.
Here's how to do it for reference:

Code: Select all

[DllImport("user32.dll")]
		static extern int MapVirtualKey(int uCode, int uMapType);

public static int GetScanCode(KeyEventArgs e)
		{
			int vkey = KeyInterop.VirtualKeyFromKey(e.Key);
			int scancode = MapVirtualKey(vkey, 0);
			bool isExtended = (bool)typeof(KeyEventArgs).InvokeMember("IsExtendedKey", BindingFlags.GetProperty | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance, null, e, null);
			if (isExtended) scancode = 0;
			return scancode;
		}
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Thanks for the code example, and bug reports. Will investigate.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:When I use ScaleWalker with my midi keyboard, there is no velocity input, of course i can use IXsplit, and I have velocity, did I miss something?
velocity out = in again.

also changed qwerty input to use scan codes per unz + oskari (so hopefully it doesn't matter anymore if you have QWERTZ instead of QWERTY - someone pls test and let me know?)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

snowglobe wrote:(so hopefully it doesn't matter anymore if you have QWERTZ instead of QWERTY - someone pls test and let me know?)
did a quick test, it works! thx a lot.
tinga

Post by tinga »

snowglobe wrote:velocity out = in again.
Thanks, it works now.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Program change seems to work only on channel 1. :?
This machine is crazy, it could create a new sort of music, strange rhythms, complex melodies, amazing variations, but also perfect to make all kind of musics, congratulations, did you project a vst or something else?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:Program change seems to work only on channel 1.
Possibly something with how you have MIDI Filtering set up? Or a machine-specific thing, maybe? I just did some checking and it seems to work as expected here.
did you project a vst or something else?
vst has been a thought ("someday")
tinga

Post by tinga »

There is a problem with global set change, it doesn't work in the last version, it worked in the previous version.
About program change, with some vst, it works, with Corona for example, it works only on channel 1, with synth1 all is fine bank channels and program change :?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:There is a problem with global set change, it doesn't work in the last version, it worked in the previous version.
Are you sure? It seems to work here. Can you post me an example bmx, maybe?
About program change, with some vst, it works, with Corona for example, it works only on channel 1, with synth1 all is fine bank channels and program change :?
Yeah, I think it's down to the idiosyncrasies of each synth. (for the record, Scalewalker can't send a MIDI program change directly to a synth; only option right now is to send out a channel message via Buzz's global MIDI system)
tinga

Post by tinga »

snowglobe wrote:Are you sure? It seems to work here. Can you post me an example bmx, maybe?
bmx
I can change the set manually only if "Follow set changes" is disabled, if not I can play only set one, nothing happen with values in pattern editor, it's not win10, same thing under win7.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:I can change the set manually only if "Follow set changes" is disabled, if not I can play only set one, nothing happen with values in pattern editor, it's not win10, same thing under win7.
OK, so the set system was actually working mostly the way I intended, but I've massaged things so that you're more likely to see the behavior you want:
  • *default setting for Set in tracks is now "Use Global" (was "GUI", meaning activate whatever Set is currently visible)
    *Follow Set will only function when song is playing
One thing that is a little tricky is that you won't see set changes without a note firing. So, even after these changes, the way the pattern in bug.bmx just has a note at tick 0 means that you will *still* never trigger any set other than Set 1. However, if you put another note in Track 0 at tick 8 (where you have your entry for Set 2) or later, it should activate Set 2.

I could make it so that an entry in the Global Set column caused that set to immediately be the visible set, but I think there are good reasons not to do that.
Last edited by snowglobe on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Update bump (replace ScaleWalker.dll and SnowglobeCore.dll)

ScaleWalker:
  • *new option:snap to bar (defaults to same behavior as snap to tick if song is not playing)
    *Track Set defaults to Use Global (was GUI)
    *Follow Set now only works when song is playing
tinga

Post by tinga »

[Set] Tracks can be assigned to activate any of the 16 sets
I forgot this update, sorry, set changes works fine, does it mean that we can activate several sets at the same time?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote: I forgot this update, sorry, set changes works fine, does it mean that we can activate several sets at the same time?
It does.