SnowMachines combined thread

tinga

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by tinga »

Another annoying thing, if I create a long row with many events response rule, of course an horizontal slide bar appears, but if I click on the latest events, instantly the slide bar move on the left, nothing happens if I only change the value using rolling button, same trouble on my 2 computers.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:Another annoying thing, if I create a long row with many events response rule, of course an horizontal slide bar appears, but if I click on the latest events, instantly the slide bar move on the left, nothing happens if I only change the value using rolling button, same trouble on my 2 computers.
figured out what was going on and made a change that prevents the behavior - replace SnowglobeCore.dll (not ScaleWalker.dll)
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:figured out what was going on and made a change that prevents the behavior - replace SnowglobeCore.dll (not ScaleWalker.dll)
Oh thanks, last night this bug nearly drove me crazy, one single events response can do an enormous job (arp rule is magic, the most simple and powerful arpeggiator in the world), but long rows are also necessary. Bug state: killed
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

new Scalewalker tutorials

part one with a closer look at timing and probability options, especially in relation to how ScaleWalker can be an interesting alternative to PeerChord.

part two looking at selection modes

part three - chaining rows (with a sweet jam at the end :mrgreen: )
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

update: ScaleWalker -- embiggened rules
elekt

Post by elekt »

Loving ScaleWalker. Most fun I've had in Buzz in a long time.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Update bump. I can't guarantee that existing bmx's will not break, so please use caution.

New parameters and features are

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All machines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Lower Output Bound] & [Upper Output Bound] Use these to specify a range within which output must fall. Out-of-bounds notes can be shifted to the same tonic in an in-bounds octave.
Different bounds and bounding modes can be set for each track.

[Output Bound Mode]
  • none: bounding values are ignored
    nearest: out-of-bound note will be transposed to nearest within-bounds octave
    farthest: output will be transposed to within-bounds octave farthest away from out-of-bounds note
    bounce: as notes get farther away from the nearest bound they bounce in the opposite direction toward the farther one
    pull: like bounce, except starting at the farther bound and pulling toward the nearer as you get farther away from it
    random: a random in-bounds octave will be chosen
    drop: out-of-bounds notes will produce no output
    drop-or-nearest : 50-50 chance between drop behavior and nearest behavior
    drop-or-farthest : 50-50 chance between drop behavior and farthest behavior
    drop-or-bounce : 50-50 chance between drop behavior and bounce behavior
    drop-or-pull: 50-50 chance between drop behavior and pull behavior
    drop-or-random : 50-50 chance between drop behavior and random behavior
[RfR Probability] Sets the probability that a note will be fired as entered in the Note column, or selected Random-from-Range (assuming a range has been specified)

ScaleWalker
[Miss Mode] Out-of-scale input can be ignored or processed on a per track basis (OK, per tick, actually).

[Set] Tracks can be assigned to activate any of the 16 sets, or to activate a randomly selected set. Note that this column is ignored if the channel-to-set box is checked.

[Note Length Humanization] A non-zero value potentially lengthens or shortens each output up to that percent of the note's duration (0 means no humanization; values above 100 will tend to produce gaps as well as extended notes)

[3 new note spec options for Chord rules]
  • Semitone - can produce out-of-scale output
    Accidental - does produce out-of-scale output
    Octave - transposes the offset location the specified number of octaves up or down.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:Semitone - can produce out-of-scale output
Accidental - does produce out-of-scale output
Octave - transposes the offset location the specified number of octaves up or down.
YES!
Decisive update, long time I think about this, chromaticism is very important in western tonal music, better gui, for the compatibility, no problem for me, I have just to change the assignment ,cause params offset, Lucky and Snappy are under peer control, thanks again for your amazing work.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Is anyone scratching their head, wondering why bother with all the bounding stuff?
Here's an example of using ctrl-r with bounding options to discover interesting rhythms: Scalewalker-as-drum-machine
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:Is anyone scratching their head, wondering why bother with all the bounding stuff?
Here's an example of using ctrl-r with bounding options to discover interesting rhythms: Scalewalker-as-drum-machine
Yes, I scratched my head with peer machines, with IX Accumulator, I done something like that, with these commands:
IX wrote:13 - Filter Min Sets the value filter minimum. Values less than the minimum will not be passed to the target. Obeys the mode setting. Filtering is done after the bitwise AND/OR.
14 - Filter Max Sets the value filter maximum. Values greater than the maximum will not be passed to the target. Obeys the mode setting. Filtering is done after the bitwise AND/OR.
You can add Accumulator to the list of peer machines included in Scale Walker, of course the different modes of output bounding add something. So, it's cool to have it, and yes Scalewalker could be a great drum machine, a single instance of it is good enough to store hundreds of rhythms in multitrack, the potential of your machine is terrific man!
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Hold on. If anyone is actually playing around with the bounding system, don't get too attached to any particular bmx that uses it - bounding system 3.0 will be out in a few days (yes, we're just plain skipping 2.0 :lol: )
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

there is a bug in the "output bounding mode" btw, when you reload the bmx it resets to "none". either doesn't get saved or loaded correctly ?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

UNZ wrote:there is a bug in the "output bounding mode" btw, when you reload the bmx it resets to "none". either doesn't get saved or loaded correctly ?
Thanks. Should be fixed now.

UPDATE

What's New:
  • input bounding - operates on notes coming in from pattern or MIDI in (before processing of rules, scale settings, etc.)
    independent settings for how to respond to notes that are below low bound and above high bound
Demo video
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

awesome! its ready for THE UNZ now :)

probably the best non-generator/effect machine for buzz!
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

(what if i told you to add bounding to every parameter ? like velocity etc, like in peerctrl the curve setting...)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

UNZ wrote:(what if i told you to add bounding to every parameter ? like velocity etc, like in peerctrl the curve setting...)
:lol:
We'll talk.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

UPDATE
--------
all machines: minor bugfixes
--------

--------
ScaleWalker
--------
Pattern options for set selection are now:
  • 1-16
    Random
    GUI (this is the default, and means use the set of the tab currently selected in the GUI).
    Most recently activated
    Use Global Setting
New stuff in options for setting output MIDI channel in the Track Strip
  • 'r' means use channels assigned by each rule via track setting (only available in Global track spinner, replacing 'g'; defaults to channel 1 when rule is set to Global track)
    'a' means use channel of activator (available in all spinners; defaults to channel 1 if the channel setting of the activator's track is other than 1 - 16 or ?)
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

not sure if this is a bug of by design, but the input bounding is off by 1 octave for notes from the pattern editor:

drop mode:
low bound set to c-3, play c-3 in pattern editor -> no sound
high bound set to c-5, play c-6 in pattern editor -> sound

i guess this is because buzz notes are one octave shifted from midi notes, but this is a bit confusing.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

UNZ wrote:i guess this is because buzz notes are one octave shifted from midi notes, but this is a bit confusing.
Yeah, this is it. After giving the whole thing a lot of thought I decided to use MIDI representations in the GUI because the output is MIDI (and input can be).
esp81

Post by esp81 »

I'm having a strange problem with scalewalker, I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm just not using it properly. If I trigger a sequence of notes before the previous sequence has finished the notes are overlapping, I thought this was what the cut mode was for, but it doesn't seem to be working? It also seems to occasionally drop a note or add a "note-off" when a sequence of note rules in a row all have the same offset value. I don't seem to remember this happening in previous versions.