buzz forums
http://forums.jeskola.net/

SnowMachines combined thread
http://forums.jeskola.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1868
Page 10 of 10

Author:  snowglobe [ Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

update: replace SnowGlobe ScaleWalker.NET.dll and Snowglobe ScaleWalker demo.bmx. Set Annotation window stays on top. Demo bmx -- better initial state for following tutorial annotation in Set#1

River Cricket wrote:
Wish the tutorials were easier to find - maybe edit the links into the OP?

The videos are mostly all out-of-date and/or just not very well made. What I think I'll do is start from scratch and make a new series, putting links in the top post as I go.

Quote:
1. Is there a simple way of disabling / enabling all rules across all tabs? I'm trying to learn from the demo BMX, but disabling every rule one-by-one across 16 different tabs so I can follow along with the annotations in tab 1 is a bit cumbersome.

My bad for muddling up the way the demo is configured. I've reverted it to a state that will hopefully make the tutorial easier to use (you shouldn't have to do anything to rules in other tabs in order to follow the tutorial).

Quote:
2. Is there any alternative to click-dragging? I'd really love textbox entry, especially when setting duration/cycle beats.

Good news! Double-click already opens a textbox for entering timing values.
Edited to add: mousewheel is also an option for adjusting pretty much any variable

Quote:
3. What's the quickest way of changing octaves? Is there anything similar to page up / page down in Polac's VST? Or do I have to manually assign everything one-by-one in the QWERTY editor screen?

There is nothing currently in place for quickly adjusting qwerty input octave. I'll consider adding that to ScaleWalker (but might choose not to, because it could interfere with another thing I'm working on). Meanwhile, you could maybe do a quick mouse change using the Octave Offset slider?

Quote:
4. I'm getting a strange problem with clipped (as in, shortened - not volume-clipped) notes. It happens most often when sliding from a natural to an accidental - it's like the slide counts as a new note for the purposes of ending the currently-held note, but doesn't count as a new note for the purposes of starting the next note. Really throws off my JamKeying :P

Have you tried fiddling with the Staccato-Legato track slider? I noticed some clipping going on in the demo bmx, so put the slider for the global track to full legato, which mostly solved it (seems to be a machine-dependent thing).

Quote:
5. What do the A-Z letters at the bottom of the GUI signify?

They are switches you can use along with 'activation requirements' for a rule or a whole row (right click on a rule or a row and look for 'edit activation requirements'). You can set switch states via mouse, pattern, or rule.

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Yikes!
Songs sound different after last upgrade. What has happened and what can I do to revert?
All help appreciated.

Before:
https://soundcloud.com/andersbrontosaurus/rave-i-c-moll


After:
https://soundcloud.com/andersbrontosaurus/faulty-scale


Bmx:

Author:  snowglobe [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Songs sound different after last upgrade. What has happened and what can I do to revert?


Very mysterious. I've looked back through the version history, and nothing has changed in code that should have caused such a difference (ever, as far as I can tell -- there was a small tweak to how scales find the closest in-scale note back in the 2016-2-21 update, but nothing that would have resulted in anything close to such a huge difference in output from an existing bmx).

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe wrote:
AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Songs sound different after last upgrade. What has happened and what can I do to revert?


Very mysterious. I've looked back through the version history, and nothing has changed in code that should have caused such a difference (ever, as far as I can tell -- there was a small tweak to how scales find the closest in-scale note back in the 2016-2-21 update, but nothing that would have resulted in anything close to such a huge difference in output from an existing bmx).


Yes, isn't it? I just tried the same track on my desktop and it sounds like it should do...
It has an older scalewalker.NET.dll installed the february 2nd.

I copied it over to the laptop with the faulty scale and replaced it but with no luck.
Right now I have two computers and one track and still they sound different depending on where I play them.
Maybe this should be a thread of its own?

Here is the bmx by the way. I'd be most happy if someone could listen to it in your own computer and let me know which of the soundclouduploads above it sounds like.
https://ufile.io/15d39

Author:  snowglobe [ Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
I copied it over to the laptop with the faulty scale and replaced it but with no luck.
Right now I have two computers and one track and still they sound different depending on where I play them.


Did you also copy SnowglobeCore.dll over?

Quote:
Maybe this should be a thread of its own?


Let's keep it here, please, at least for now.

Quote:
Here is the bmx by the way. I'd be most happy if someone could listen to it in your own computer and let me know which of the soundclouduploads above it sounds like.
https://ufile.io/15d39


Doesn't sound like anything, because there's no pattern data? When I send an arbitrary note to ScaleWalker the output is nothing at all like either of your Soundcloud links, and there's nothing to produce drum sounds etc -- maybe wrong bmx version or something?

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
I copied it over to the laptop with the faulty scale and replaced it but with no luck.
Right now I have two computers and one track and still they sound different depending on where I play them.

snowglobe wrote:
Did you also copy SnowglobeCore.dll over?

At first i copied the old ...net.dll with no luck. After that I reinstalled the entire new version of snowsuite. I did not try the old net.dll with an old SnowglobeCore.dll



AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Here is the bmx by the way. I'd be most happy if someone could listen to it in your own computer and let me know which of the soundclouduploads above it sounds like.
https://ufile.io/15d39

snowglobe wrote:
Doesn't sound like anything, because there's no pattern data? When I send an arbitrary note to ScaleWalker the output is nothing at all like either of your Soundcloud links, and there's nothing to produce drum sounds etc -- maybe wrong bmx version or something?


woot? No pattern data and no drumsounds? That's really really strange. I'll look at it when I get home.

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
woot? No pattern data and no drumsounds? That's really really strange. I'll look at it when I get home.
At first i copied the old ...net.dll with no luck. After that I reinstalled the entire new version of snowsuite. I did not try the old net.dll with an old SnowglobeCore.dll

snowglobe wrote:
Did you also copy SnowglobeCore.dll over?



Tried to download the track myself. It worked fine here. Well, not fine. Still the wrong scale but no missing patterns.
When I can access the old snowglobecore I'll try it.

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Relief!
It worked!

Copied the two files over and now it's back to normal. :-)

Author:  snowglobe [ Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Copied the two files over and now it's back to normal. :-)


OK, I've gotten your bmx to load and play now, and when I run it, I get your "After" result. So my best guess is that this situation must be the result of the 2016-2-21 update after all.

I'm glad you are able to get it the way you want it by reverting to the old dlls, but in case you want to have your tune play the way you want it *and* keep up to date with ScaleWalker improvements, I have attached an edited version of your bmx that will sound like your 'Before' using the latest dlls (you'll have to reconnect whatever that 'postSPAN' machine is that I don't have).

Attachment:
15d39-skalor-i-scalewalker.zip [16.4 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

I bow to your grandness!
It sounds accurate. My sense of tonality is quite low but it sounds like the same song to me.
What did you do? Transpose only? Why was it needed? What has changed in the core? It would be good for me to know so I can learn and understand.

OT: this is SPAN: http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/


And thanks a lot for your effort!!!

Author:  snowglobe [ Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
What did you do? Transpose only?

Yeah, I just moved a few notes up by a semi-tone in each of the three patterns for Lucky!2.

Quote:
Why was it needed? What has changed in the core? It would be good for me to know so I can learn and understand.

ScaleWalker: "Hmm. What in-scale note is the best match for this out-of-scale trigger note?"

The answer is easy if the trigger is clearly closer to one of the in-scale notes:

(S = in-scale note, . = out-of-scale note, T = out-of-scale trigger)
Code:
  . . . S . . . . S . . . . . S . . . S T . . . . S . . . S . . . . S . . . . . . S     


But what if the trigger's 'out-of-scaleness' is a tie in both directions?
Code:
  . . . S . . . . S . . . . . S . . . S . . T . . S . . . S . . . . S . . . . . . S     


Originally, SW (and ScaleSnapper) always had a 'go high' policy in such a case, i.e., the higher-pitched option was always chosen as the best match. Now we factor in whether or not the Trigger is higher or lower than the scale's 'anchor note' (= scale tonic in the 4th octave) and pull the output toward the anchor note:

Code:
  . . . S . . . . S . . . . . S . . . S . . T . . S . . . S . . . . A . . . . . . S     
Trigger is lower than Anchor --> 'go high'

Code:
  . . . S . . . . S . . . . . A . . . S . . T . . S . . . S . . . . S . . . . . . S     
Trigger is higher than Anchor --> 'go low'

Quote:

I wondered if that was what it was. You must have a newer version.

Author:  boombaxx [ Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Been trying out scalewalker really cool concept love the win 98 graphics style

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe wrote:
AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
What did you do? Transpose only?

Yeah, I just moved a few notes up by a semi-tone in each of the three patterns for Lucky!2.

Quote:
Why was it needed? What has changed in the core? It would be good for me to know so I can learn and understand.

ScaleWalker: "Hmm. What in-scale note is the best match for this out-of-scale trigger note?"

The answer is easy if the trigger is clearly closer to one of the in-scale notes:

(S = in-scale note, . = out-of-scale note, T = out-of-scale trigger)
Code:
  . . . S . . . . S . . . . . S . . . S T . . . . S . . . S . . . . S . . . . . . S     



Thank you so much for taking your time both with saving my song and explaining. So, I have apparently played other notes than I've thought, all along. :-)

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Is there a way to control which rows that is active via patterns?

Author:  snowglobe [ Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Is there a way to control which rows that is active via patterns?


You can do it by setting up switch requirements for rows and then toggling switch states via pattern.

Author:  AndersBrontosaurus [ Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Sweet! Thanks a lot.

Author:  tinga [ Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

When I put the same notes in a row, they are cut off, I get just the attack, maybe it's linked to the staccato/legato param. It's a little bit annoying.
Is it just me or a bug?

Author:  snowglobe [ Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

tinga wrote:
When I put the same notes in a row, they are cut off, I get just the attack, maybe it's linked to the staccato/legato param. It's a little bit annoying.
Is it just me or a bug?


I know what you mean, and it continues to puzzle me. I believe it is highly dependent on how the target machine responds to repeated notes -- with some it's not a problem. And yes, the staccato/legato param is the place to go to look for relief (sometimes have to nudge it in the staccato rather than legato direction). Also, I recall making some sort of small tweak in the code the last time I was investigating the issue, but never got around to publishing a new version. I need to go dig around to see exactly what I did, but in the meantime I just updated the files in the download zip, so maybe swap out the Scalewalker.dll file and give it a whirl, see if there's a favorable difference.

Author:  tinga [ Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe wrote:
I just updated the files in the download zip, so maybe swap out the Scalewalker.dll file and give it a whirl, see if there's a favorable difference.

Thanks, works now. 8-)
And yes with some machines it worked and also if I put legato humanization>4, it worked.
ScaleWalker is now my super commander, there's nothing it can't do, also the best friend of the other peer machines and not their gravedigger.

Page 10 of 10 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/