DAW Control

wde

DAW Control

Post by wde »

Hey,

DAW Control is a machine that allows you to bind some Buzz functionalities (Play, Stop, Record etc.) to your favorite Midi device. I needed something like this so maybe you find it useful.

It supports "note events" and Midi control messages. Currently it triggers only when value 127 is received.

Version 1.2
  • Control play position + tick sync
Version 1.1
  • Solo/Mute Machines
Version 0.2
  • Note: Changes how the bindings are handled in the code. You need to re-bind controls in your saved song. Sorry!
  • Things you can control from your Midi controller in Buzz:
    • Play
    • Stop
    • Record
    • Forward
    • Rewind
    • Goto Beginning
    • Loop Enabled
    • Increase Speed
    • Decrease Speed
    • Solo Machine
  • Changing speed does not update Buzz UI for some reason.
Version 0.2
  • First release
Attachments
DAWControl.zip
(14.2 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Last edited by wde on Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
onecircles

Re: DAW Control

Post by onecircles »

Cool, I'll have to take a look.

I use bome midi translator for this same purpose. It translates midi into keystrokes. The main limitation is that buzz won't accept the keystrokes if it doesn't have focus, but that's a normal buzz idiosyncrasy.

https://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

This topic should probably go in 'users'
IXix

Post by IXix »

Curses! I wanted to make the first machine of the year! :lol:

Thanks for sharing. I made a transport machine ages ago but didn't do much with it. Look forward to trying yours.
wde

Post by wde »

IXix wrote:Curses! I wanted to make the first machine of the year! :lol:
IXix, well you can still make the most machines this year ;)
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote:
IXix wrote:Curses! I wanted to make the first machine of the year! :lol:
IXix, well you can still make the most machines this year ;)
Haha, not likely considering my rate of work! :lol:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Sorry for saying this should go in users, I thought you were sharing a third party utility. Still though, a cross post maybe.

So yeah, I really needed this functionality and that's why I got bome. What features does your machine have? (I'll try it of course.)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Can it bind ctrl B and ctrl E? I can't get those to work in bome so far. thanks!
wde

Post by wde »

Definitely this should go to 'users' when the machine is more feature stable.

Regarding ctrl-b and ctrl-e, this machine is not really designed to generate custom keyboard messages to Buzz. Rather, it is calling directly certain methods of the DAW. Maybe I'll add these later if really needed and if I figure out how to do it.

'Focus Buzz application window' might be easier to bind to midi event :D
wde

Post by wde »

Version 0.2 enables new things to control in Buzz. More information in the first post.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote:Version 0.2 enables new things to control in Buzz. More information in the first post.
Thanks! :dance:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi wde,

thanx for sharing !!

Do you plan a feature with that you can loop a sequence ? (from time signature x to time signature y?

As I understand, you "press" the loop button of buzz
loopbutton.jpg
loopbutton.jpg (811 Bytes) Viewed 16509 times
by a keyboard midi command in the latest version?
wde

Post by wde »

HerrFornit wrote:
Do you plan a feature with that you can loop a sequence ? (from time signature x to time signature y?

As I understand, you "press" the loop button of buzz by a keyboard midi command in the latest version?
Right, so currently DAW Control 'Loop Enabled' toggles the button that enables Buzz to loop sequence from beginning (set by CTRL-B in the sequence view) to song end (set by CTRL-E in the sequence view).

Is your request to define separate set of "loop beginning" and "loop end" values in sequence view that you can toggle from Midi controller?
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

HerrFornit wrote:Is your request to define separate set of "loop beginning" and "loop end" values in sequence view that you can toggle from Midi controller?
Hmm, well, somehow yes.
I was thinking about to use it as a kind of pattern based jump command. So, to precise my question, is it possible to use the MIDI-CC of the patternXP to trigger your commands?
A kind of internal mode.

Thanx!
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

wde wrote:Right, so currently DAW Control 'Loop Enabled' toggles the button that enables Buzz to loop sequence from beginning (set by CTRL-B in the sequence view) to song end (set by CTRL-E in the sequence view).

Is your request to define separate set of "loop beginning" and "loop end" values in sequence view that you can toggle from Midi controller?
This would be super cool, something that would increment or decrement the loop start or stop points by x bars. hook that up to the forward/back buttons on a midi controller.

thanks for this awesome new machine!
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

does the solo machine feature have a target machine? not sure what it's soloing.

also do you have a tip jar? this has brought me so much happiness and I would like to buy you a coffee/beer :) :mrgreen:
wde

Post by wde »

szaszhareen wrote:does the solo machine feature have a target machine? not sure what it's soloing.
You should see a drop down menu on the right side of the 'solo' row. Try resizing the window if not.
szaszhareen wrote:also do you have a tip jar? this has brought me so much happiness and I would like to buy you a coffee/beer :) :mrgreen:
Happy to hear that this tiny machine is useful to others as well. You can buy me a beer in the next Buzz summit :D
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

aha, found the solo target dropdown. nice! it would be awesome to have multiple targets for the solo button and a mute feature as well.

I have so much fun with the skip forward and back feature. I use it like a stutter/glitch effect.

excellent work and I look forward to buzz summit 2019! :lol:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Interesting! Let me know if this should go on the buzz machine site, and I'll upload it there.
wde

Post by wde »

Joachip wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:28 am Interesting! Let me know if this should go on the buzz machine site, and I'll upload it there.
I'm fine with that and I think it has all the features needed (and not much complaints from users ;)) If I remember correctly you need to include patterns if you create a template with DAW Control. Otherwise the machine does not receive midi events.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi wde,,

can I use any (vst) midi midi out send as input for DAW control (for looping etc)?

thanx