new pvst beta (updated 03-Dec-2023)

Joachip

Re: new pvst beta (updated 12-Jan-2014)

Post by Joachip »

Ahhh, much better. It's funny, mono outputs are labeled like their stereo counterparts would have been, so in mono mode I see 1-2, 1-2, 3-4, 3-4, 5-6, 5-6, etc. But this is really a minor thing. The mono inputs have normal numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. Perfect. And in stereo everything is perfect too.

So from now on, I don't have to count all the way up. :) This is a big help!

Time for some serious hardware routing.
Shro0m

Post by Shro0m »

Great stuff polac :D
Regarding Asio-out channel names (in mono) which Joachip mentioned, i noticed that too a while ago, so i took a screenshot. Anyway, it's a minor detail :)
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Really like the learn vst option very handy good work
chahur

Post by chahur »

Hello
I've got a problem for a few days : my antivirus (Avira Antivirus Free) finds the troyan TR/Crypt.ZPACK.8960 in the file vst.exe.
I suspect a false detection, because this file is here since 2012/05.
But it could be annoying.
Would it be possible for you to investigate the problem ?

Many thanks for your great job !
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

chahur wrote:Hello
I've got a problem for a few days : my antivirus (Avira Antivirus Free) finds the troyan TR/Crypt.ZPACK.8960 in the file vst.exe.
Hi, I got the same problem here, using Avira full version.

I also got a virus detection in the previous version that I downloaded about a year ago.

Actually, initially I installed it and got it to work just fine. Avira didn't detect anything at that time.

I mainly was looking for a good video player VST to use in my DAW and was delighted to have found a video player that seemed to integrate really well, and easy to use.

But a a couple of months ago I got some "virus" or malware type activity, as detected by Avira. It originated from the PVST folder. I didn't think too much of it intitally, knowing that it could have been a false positive, and that some virusses/malware can drop their stuff anywhere on a harddisc. So after removing the exe (or such) that gave suspect activity (note: this was at a time that I was NOT using this VST or any other, nor was I working in my DAW), I simply started to do a thorough check of my system, which proved to be moderately infected by some malware (which Avira is actually not the best at detecting - aside from other tasks that it does very good).

I cleaned up my system/disc (using various softwares), and that was that.

But now it looks as if PVST is not working anymore the way it should. I can't seem to get videos playing with a certain time offset (i.e. I can't get the video to start at a certain time-code, other than straight from the start of a song file). When I tested upon installing, this gave no problem at all, and seemed to be really easy. Maybe this functionality is not working because I updated & upgraded my DAW (Studio One Pro), or maybe it is because I quarantined the suspect exe. If the exe was legit, then it it makes sense that some functionality could be broken.

But if removing the exe is the reason for the VST not working as it should, then we DO have a problem. Because it DID give suspect activity at a time when it should not have done anything at all...

Today I figured I'd simply try to reinstall it. So I opened the folder where I had backed up the original download, and got again a virus alert!

The suspect file was: PVST (x86)\vst.exe
Avira analyzed it as: TR/Crypt.ZPACK.8960 Trojan

This is the same kind of detection as happens for the updated version. It got quarantined...

So yeah, I'd really like to hear from the developer. This VST seemt to be really great or at least seems to have great potential, and initially I thought it solved my search for a video player that can be used in a DAW in a useful way, relatively light on the system (without stuttering video or sounds), with good synchronization, good sound and (very importantly) easy time offset.

However, for the moment, I'll just hold off trying to use this VST, until this gets sorted out. Virusses and malware are a serious issue...

Anyway, thanks for the good work and any useful feedback! :geek:
polac

Post by polac »

chahur wrote:Hello

Many thanks for your great job !
Hi, I uploaded the vst.exe to virustotal.com, i get an alarm on 4/50 scanners, one of them AntiVir. I still guess it's a false alarm. I also recompiled the .exe(I also did some small changes in the code), now only 1 of 50 scanners find a trojan(but not AntiVir anymore). I'll update the loader package in the next days.
I mainly was looking for a good video player VST to use in my DAW and was delighted to have found a video player that seemed to integrate really well, and easy to use.

But now it looks as if PVST is not working anymore the way it should. I can't seem to get videos playing with a certain time offset (i.e. I can't get the video to start at a certain time-code, other than straight from the start of a song file). When I tested upon installing, this gave no problem at all, and seemed to be really easy. Maybe this functionality is not working because I updated & upgraded my DAW (Studio One Pro), or maybe it is because I quarantined the suspect exe. If the exe was legit, then it it makes sense that some functionality could be broken.

But if removing the exe is the reason for the VST not working as it should, then we DO have a problem. Because it DID give suspect activity at a time when it should not have done anything at all...
The vst.exe has nothing to do with the video player, most likely they changed something in Studio One which breaks the video player. I'll take a look at the Studio One Demo if there is one.
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

polac wrote:The vst.exe has nothing to do with the video player, most likely they changed something in Studio One which breaks the video player. I'll take a look at the Studio One Demo if there is one.
Hi polac. Thanks for looking into this.

There's a free version of Studio One that has many useful features, but unfortunately it doesn't offer the possibility to use VSTs :(

In case you consider a purchase, the cheapest version that includes use of VSTs is Studio One Producer (read more here).

If I can somehow be of help, and if you'd like me to check/test certain files in a certain way, then please let me know ;)

I'll start by doing an install of the updated version, hopefully tomorrow.

It's good to hear you were able to adapt the code so Avira doesn't see it as a virus. Yesterday I also sent a notice to Avira of there probably being a false positive, so they will probably adapt a thing or two on their side (albeit based on the old exe file). They didn't get back to me yet.

Take care 8-)
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

polac wrote:Hi, I uploaded the vst.exe to virustotal.com, i get an alarm on 4/50 scanners, one of them AntiVir. I still guess it's a false alarm. I also recompiled the .exe(I also did some small changes in the code), now only 1 of 50 scanners find a trojan(but not AntiVir anymore). I'll update the loader package in the next days.
Right, so I tried to download the pack again, but got another virus alert (by Avira). I guess you haven't posted the modified version yet?
polac wrote:The vst.exe has nothing to do with the video player, most likely they changed something in Studio One which breaks the video player. I'll take a look at the Studio One Demo if there is one.
I did another test with the old version, after doing the most recent update of Studio One.

The problem I described still persists.

On the other hand, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The instructions I'm following to synchronize a video to a DAW song come from here:
Just load the mediavst.dll to your host program as a VST instrument, and place a single C4 note at the beginning of the timeline to start to play the video. Right click the VST window to open a video file to play.
Presently, when I do this, the video will start playing even before the note is played (i.e. the video starts from the beginning of the timeline). Maybe I should use the VST differently? (it could be helpful to have some minimum documentation with the download :oops: )

By the way, it's possible to test Studio One Pro as a demo for free, with all functionality and options, for 30 days (see here).

Take care ;)
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Isn't a false positive something Avira should be fixing instead of Polac? The latest version of the loader finally works perfect on my system, I really hope changing code just for a false positive doesn't cause any other problems.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

esp81 wrote:Isn't a false positive something Avira should be fixing instead of Polac? The latest version of the loader finally works perfect on my system, I really hope changing code just for a false positive doesn't cause any other problems.
Yeah you normally just submit the sample to Avira and it'll be sorted in a future signature update. Has definitely worked for me like that in the past !
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

mcbpete wrote:
esp81 wrote:Isn't a false positive something Avira should be fixing instead of Polac? The latest version of the loader finally works perfect on my system, I really hope changing code just for a false positive doesn't cause any other problems.
Yeah you normally just submit the sample to Avira and it'll be sorted in a future signature update. Has definitely worked for me like that in the past !
The Avira support got back to me and confirmed it was just a false positive, as I expected. Now it's up to them to adapts their virus definitions.

In order to do more tests, I'll wait for the new update.

Take care! ;)
polac

Post by polac »

Ok, I installed the Studio One 2 Demo here now, the mediavst.dll seems to work just fine here. You also don't have to place a note to a track to make it run in Studio One. If you jump to a new song position the video position is also updated correctly here. To make it clear, the video always syncs to song position, you cannot make the video begin playing at a certain song position xy for example(time offset).
Musicman

Post by Musicman »

polac wrote:Ok, I installed the Studio One 2 Demo here now, the mediavst.dll seems to work just fine here. You also don't have to place a note to a track to make it run in Studio One. If you jump to a new song position the video position is also updated correctly here. To make it clear, the video always syncs to song position, you cannot make the video begin playing at a certain song position xy for example(time offset).
Now here's a strange thing: I could swear that during a test a did a while ago, I got videos playing from the point where I inserted a MIDI note, following the instruction I mentioned. And now you mention that it isn't even supposed to work that way! Duh...

It looks like I might have been led to mistakenly believe I got videos to start from the MIDI note, due to not knowing the video(s) well I tested... :oops: or maybe it was just voodoo, who knows...

If your video-VST is supposed to work only so that it plays videos from the very start of a song, with no offset possible, then well... everything works fine here too.

On the other hand, being able to set an offset for a video is absolutely CRUCIAL for most music to video work. Not being able to set an offset seriously reduces the usefulness of this video-VST.

It almost never happens that you'd have a video where the music starts at exactly the first frame, or where you'd want the first beat of a timeline to correspond to the first frame of a video. Also think about footage that is preceded by a count-down (with number pictures).

If music starts after the first frame, to get music synchronized precisely to certain points of the video a workaround could be to mess around with tempos and such, to get the first beat of the actual music where you want it. But this is hopelessly cumbersome and a waste of precious time that should go into working the music...

You might like to take a look at how the video player of Studio One (Professional) works. Notice the small clock symbol sitting in the lower margin of the video player's window. When you click on it, you can set an offset for the video, so that its starting time can be adapted to the track you're working on. Notice that you can set a positive as well as a negative offset (so that the video starts "before" the song's starting point).

If you could add this feature to your video VST, it would instantly be PERFECT for music to video work! It doesn't look like such a very difficult thing to add, but then, I'm not a programmer 8-) It would make all the difference.

The reason why I'm very much interested to use your video-VST with the added option of an offset, even though I have Studio One's video player available and even though there are a few other DAWs that have a video player available that work to varying degrees, is that your's simply works so well (aside from the missing functionality), and it presently has the potential to be the best video solution for working with Studio One (which is presently the DAW that I prefer to use).

Even though your video player can only read a limited number of video formats, once it loads, the video plays nicely, fluently, and its audio is neatly routed to a track bus. It all works!!

Major advantages of your video-VST are that starting the video is (pretty much) instant, scrolling and starting to a different point is instant and fluent, scrolling through video frames is just as easy and FLUENT, and instant.

In contrast, Studio One's video player is simply awful to use in its present state, and pretty much unusable as far as I'm concerned, at least for creating music synced to video. I'm referring to SO for Windows here. Maybe the Mac version works better...

Even though the player should accept most/many video formats/codecs, I still haven't found which format works best for it. I only got it to work fairly well with Quicktime format (MOV), but haven't managed to get any audio with that :roll: Other formats generally end up crashing my PC (and I have a very reasonably powerful PC, so that should not be the issue). Using QT format, when starting the video (i.e. song) some time elapses before it rolls, and scrolling through frames is a pain in the ass (pretty much unworkable).

So Polac, I have great hopes for being able to use your video-VST, one day. I'm actually quite certain you have the ability to add the extra functionality of being able to set an offset, seeing how well things work in the present state!

And even though you've made this a free VST (together with all the other plug-ins), who knows you could sell your video-VST to Presonus (in some way or form)? :mrgreen: Trust me, they could use it seeing how things are in the present version!

Take care ;)
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Thank you very much for your investigation on the Avira-false-alert and of course for the fantastic VST-Loader-work with ASIO support and the hidden Wavetable-feature for Matilde rc1.98 ... that's :ugeek:
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

O.K. now some "Butter bei die Fische" ;) "Xlutop": I have a problem loading a special VSTi-Synth in BUZZ 1495 BETA and the VST(i)-loader 29beta. :oops:

The plugin is by UGO (a fantastic VST(i)maker imo) who has retired from building synths at the moment and his previously sold plugins are now free (a little tip for all the other readers ...;)).

Now the problem: his cool "M-Theory" synth crashes Buzz, or the VSTi-loader everytime I try to load it. It is the only plugin that does this so far. It seems to be a special "text"-module in M-Theory, that causes the trouble. The M-Theory-synth works fine in VST-host and SAVI-host on my system ..., so it doesn't miss any files .

Now SIR Xlutop can you please, please do some investigations on the M-Theory, you won't be disappointed by the VSTi, if you can get it to work in Buzz ;) ... (guess you already now the M-Theory ... :) )

Thank you in advance ...
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

M-Theory works here.
Win Vista 32
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

O.K. tried again yesterday evening M-Theory works fine now, sorry for the trouble, it seems as if some plugin has left some fragment in the RAM of my pc and that caused the problem ... :oops:
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Has process on silence stopped working i have it selected but it seems to do nothing. All my songs are broken because they rely heavily on this function
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

Using WASAPI to record from a Microphone does not work using Polac Audio In.
I got it working with MME only but it had a really high latency and lower latency sounded really bad.
If it would be possible to use WASAPI for mic recording it would be great I think.
But maybe it's hard to implement. :?:
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Does Polac Asio audio driver work with Buzz 64 keep getting device not connected works fine with Wasapi